Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just got threw watching a 60 Minutes show about "Ghost Guns". On that show, they were saying anyone could buy all the parts to build a complete gun from aftermarket parts.
One thing that caught my attention was they say that receivers can be purchased without a serial number, ????????????
I was under the impression that when a receiver of any kind is purchased, it has a serial number and has to go through a FFD.
Were they not telling the truth on this show, or have I been misinformed about receiver purchases?.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seems misleading.

I don't know where you can *legally* purchase a lower/receiver without a serial number. There's always a black market, but they fail to mention that such a transaction would be illegal.

Were they referring to home/3D printed lowers/receivers? Because that is actually a thing.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Typical gun report without facts. Yes, 80% receivers are available for purchase. 80% refers to the fact that the owner has to finish it. It is legal under federal gun regulations for an individual to make a firearm for personal use. If sold it must be serialized. So, it is partially true.

·
This used to be AMERICA........
1,777 Posts
Take it from someone who has finished a couple 80%ers..... its a LOT of work. What dumbass law skirting criminal has that kind of brainpower, when just buying a gun from more questionable sources is SO very much easier...?
60 Minutes,??????????? A reliable, clickbaity source, indeed.......

·
Anti-Federalist
21,582 Posts
Take it from someone who has finished a couple 80%ers..... its a LOT of work. What dumbass law skirting criminal has that kind of brainpower, when just buying a gun from more questionable sources is SO very much easier...?
60 Minutes,??????????? A reliable, clickbaity source, indeed.......

Is it? 6 holes and milling out the barrel slot and the plastic rails? With the supplied jig it doesn't appear to take more than an hour or two with a drill press and some file work.

Reactions: ranger1968

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
i actually bought an 80% lower kit. i got a plastic? one to play with. i figured i would work on it that to see what kind of challenge it would be, then move on to aluminum. still sitting in the box untouched. i thought i would set my drill press up as a rudimentary mill. it just needs more time and attention to detail than i have, for now....
i really don't see criminals attempting it. a close friend of my dad's was a Model Maker, the journeyman kind. he had built many guns in his day, anything from quick, crude and efficient to beautiful rifles. i

·
Registered
938 Posts
Is it? 6 holes and milling out the barrel slot and the plastic rails? With the supplied jig it doesn't appear to take more than an hour or two with a drill press and some file work.
He is probably thinking of the 80% AR15 lower receiver blanks. Those are a lot of work and at minimum require a special jig and a good quality router to do one properly, if you aren't a machinist with a proper milling machine. The 80% Glock frame blanks are a different story and are pretty easy as long as the blank was made properly. I helped my son complete one and the rails were not in alignment. What a major pain in the ass that was to make work. After that I lost all desire to build a Glock out of an 80% grip frame. However, the AR lowers are pretty cool when machined and finished properly. An AR with no markings is the ultimate in Freedom.

Once one of these are used in a major reported crime, such as a mass shooting, look for them to be gone soon after. Once the democrats take back over the White House and control of Congress these will be outlawed, along with anything else not a single shot shotgun, revolver or .22LR while they assume dictatorial powers.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,582 Posts
He is probably thinking of the 80% AR15 lower receiver blanks. Those are a lot of work and at minimum require a special jig and a good quality router to do one properly, if you aren't a machinist with a proper milling machine. The 80% Glock frame blanks are a different story and are pretty easy as long as the blank was made properly. I helped my son complete one and the rails were not in alignment. What a major pain in the ass that was to make work. After that I lost all desire to build a Glock out of an 80% grip frame. However, the AR lowers are pretty cool when machined and finished properly. An AR with no markings is the ultimate in Freedom.

Once one of these are used in a major reported crime, such as a mass shooting, look for them to be gone soon after. Once the democrats take back over the White House and control of Congress these will be outlawed, along with anything else not a single shot shotgun, revolver or .22LR while they assume dictatorial powers.

I was absolutely thinking plastic pistol lower.. Yeah aluminum is a different animal.

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
1,621 Posts
Typical media misrepresentation of facts ...
You are correct. All receivers are serialized and registered.
If the show you watched stated the ability to buy non serialized receivers, that is false.
You can buy a kit to manufacture your own receiver, then buy the parts to complete a gun, and yes, that is a ghost gun.
Like others have already started, it is legal. So what? Criminals get guns illegaly. Law abiding citizens own legal guns. Criminals do not.
This is just another attack on the 2A rights of honest, law abiding citizens.

·
Registered
16,939 Posts
If you do a search on the internet for ghost guns you will find a few sites that sell you the 80% finished and not serialized parts you need to make a complete firearm.
Yeah place an order at one of those sites and see how fast the ATF shows up at your door after the package arrives.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah place an order at one of those sites and see how fast the ATF shows up at your door after the package arrives.
I wont place any order, I have no need to, but I am sure plenty of people place them and don't get arrested. Read above and there are people here that have ghost guns they have built, I'm sure they bought the parts somewhere.

·
Registered
16,939 Posts
I've ordered 20+ P80'S and never had a visit from the ATF. Oys perfectly legal to built your own firearms.
Read what I quoted from WillyM.

WillyM was talking about sites with 80% lowers that were "Finished". A 100% complete lower, built by someone else, without a serial number and without being sold through an FFL is illegal.

·
Banned
328 Posts

WillyM was talking about sites with 80% lowers that were "Finished". A 100% complete lower, built by someone else, without a serial number and without being sold through an FFL is illegal.
Yeah, he said 80% finished. They are legal to buy and build. No FFL needed . You must not have understood his comment. He never said anything about a 100% lower

·
Registered
14,251 Posts

No, he said that the parts were 80% finished ( as opposed to 100 % finished), and therefore perfectly legal....

I believe you misread his post.

·
Banned
328 Posts
No, he said that the parts were 80% finished ( as opposed to 100 % finished), and therefore perfectly legal....

I believe you misread his post.
That's exactly what a P80 is. Lol. It's 80% finished. Wow dude

1 - 20 of 30 Posts