close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the strangest thing you have seen in the woods?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by slewfoot, Jul 26, 2009.

1. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

I'd be interested in hearing some experiences of strange stuff seen while you were out in the woods.

2. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

3. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Do two lesbians on a bicycle count?
    The only people who would get that, are the ones that read the thread on AR15.com.

I have never found anything good in the woods.

4. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

5. DRZ

DRZ

ditto

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. lee2

lee2

i was out hunting in the middle of God's country and stumbled across an old
    brick house foundation. no noticeable roads, nothing.:dunno:

7. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

I walked up on a scarecrow set up in the woods. Creepiest feeling I ever had in the woods.

BradD likes this.
  8. MajorGlock

MajorGlock

I was hunting on a piece of public land about 8 years ago in Louisana when a friend radioed me on our two way radios and told me to quietly slip over to a certain bayou where he was located cause he had something to show me I would'nt believe.I figured he had stumbled upon a still or meth lab or something of that nature.When I got there we crossed the bayou and he led me to the edge of a small clearing.We crouched down and he moved some brush aside and told me to look out in the middle of the clearing.There were about 4 or 5 tents pitched out in the clearing and I told him that I could not believe he had made me walk that far to see some people camping.He told me to be quiet and just keep watching.We sat there about 5 more minutes when a completely nude lady walked out of one tent and into another and then a totally different woman came out of the tent she went into and went to the tent she came out of.We watched for a few minutes more and both women and men (all nude) would leave one tent and go into another.I have no idea if it was a nudist campout or a swingers convention LOL but we got up and quietly slipped out of there before we were seen.This was about 3 miles off of any road and in the middle of December. To this day I have no idea what was going on with those people but it definetly ranks as one of the strangest things I have ever seen in the woods.

9. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Pics or it didn't happen :whistling:

10. MajorGlock

MajorGlock

I did'nt have a camera on me and you probably would'nt want to see the pics if I did.We watched more out of curiosity as none of the women were much to look at.

11. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it...unless, of course, you heard a voice from the heavens above say something like, "Dang it, missed again", when that second tree fell. :supergrin:

12. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

saw a bigfoot lookin thing.

flame away, its matters not.

13. itjisfo

itjisfo NRA Member

A dead man !!!

while patrolling for nj forest fire service we stumbled on a taxi cab the driver had been shot. a couple of days before we found him he was shot in the back of the head !!! middle of fire season a dead body in a closed hot car for a couple days !!! you want to talk about stink :faint:

The taxi came from Atlantic city with a fare and the killer led out in the middle of no where and capped him. I do not know if he was ever caught, happened about 10 years ago . :dunno:

BradD likes this.
  14. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

A stump that glowed in the dark. We think it was some sort of fungus or something. We kept a chunk of it for awhile and it glowed in the dark but later it quit.

BradD likes this.
  15. 2bgop

2bgop

Nothing too strange. I did see a mountain loin walk about 15 yards in front of my hunting partner and he swears he never saw it. I was about 300 yards away watching through binos.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  16. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

While hunting whitetail once about ten years ago, I saw a herd of mule deer in upstate New York, at the southern edge of Adirondack Park.

Call me crazy, but I know mule deer when I see them, and there they were.

No, I did not shoot any.

-ET

17. ElevatedThreat

I have also seen gray wolves in upstate New York, way back in black pine forest country. They were on one bank of a steep old glacial rill, and I was on the other.

I moved, they moved. No question they were following me. Where I was, they had probably not seen a person before, or at least very often.

The conditions were rare hard-packed snow that had been rained on and then frozen solid, so I was moving easily on foot atop 5 feet of hard-pack, in back country normally choked with brush and impassible.

Given that I was healthy, comfortable, and armed, I felt no fear. They exhibited none either. We watched each other until we mutually lost interest, and then went our separate ways.

The NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation will tell you there are no wolves in NYS.

Probably because they flew over open, populated sections of the Adirondack Park at 3000 feet at high noon on a hot summer day and saw none.

"Nope, no wolves here."

That way, they don't need to make any official conservation policy on them, which would be a political hot potato.

-ET

18. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

19. ElevatedThreat

Lots of those in Adirondack Park too. Something else the NY DEC would like to ignore, for political reasons. They will jump anything small enough and unawares enough to take with one quick bite to the head, including small, inattentive people (usually slightly-built women, or children). Too cowardly to go for adults though, usually.

Ever hear a big, lovesick Tom advertising for a lady cat? The North American cougar has a very odd, human-like quality to its cry -- not like a cat much at all. Really makes the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up, especially at dusk.

Scares the living bejeesus out of the rare person who gets in a remote enough place to hear it, but is still not an experienced enough woodsmen to know what it is....

-ET

20. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

Being a hiker and mountainbiker here in NC, I have seen some things. Mostly old homesteads and field rows MILES into deeply grown woods. Junkyards with '40s vintage cars, old stills, etc. I usually find one to two marijuana plots in the summer- the smell stops me, and I find 'em quick. I stay the he11 away, but back in the day I have 'monitored' the odd patch and found some that self-propagated after the planters had left. Culling the males was a favor, of course, a good friend did that for me. Good times back then!:whistling: