close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is THE S&W Auto that you should have?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by China boy, Aug 9, 2017.

1. China boy

China boy

What 1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen S&W auto would you buy if you could only have one?

I would like to fulfill this genre of pistol for my collection and find something around $300-500 on the used market. When I think of the old Smith autos I think betamax, delorians and the 80s. I also think of sw40 being introduced and gaining popularity. Just curious what one pistol sums up the pinnacle or icon of this model of pistol.

2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

3. bac1023

bac1023

Pete,
    The 5906 was the best of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. It was the pinnacle of the series. The a Performance Center even did some competition pistols based on it.

If you want a true icon, find an original 39.

4. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

Those SW autos were both cool and somewhat unwieldy at the same time. When I first started in LE they were still a popular sidearm, but on the way out. Unnecessarily heavy and most of the DA triggers were awful. The fit and finish wasn't very very impressive to me either. But, they didn't win police contracts by being highly polished and tightly fit.

I remember a ton of different magazines also. You would think more of them would have shared mags, but many variations had their own mag design making it difficult to find mags for your specific model. I remember the local cop shop having dozens of bins with SW auto mags, and most being empty except for the most popular models.

That being said I really regret passing on some CHEAP trade in 4506's years ago. That was a solid pistol with a classic look. For some reason I like those high profile shrouded sights. There was just an all business appearance to those guns.

I wouldn't buy one now unless the price was just right. After "The Shield" came out the prices of those guns increased quite a bit, and I don't see many of them now,atleast not for cheap. IMO they don't hold a candle to my P220 as far shooting enjoyment. The slide mounted safety/decocker has the same drawbacks as on the Beretta as well.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    hogship and ironhead7544 like this.
  5. Glock40man

Glock40man

It's a toss up between the 3913, and the 1006 for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bennydabull and fnfalman like this.
  6. willieH

willieH

I've been happy with this 5906 IDPA.

[​IMG]

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Are you saying I have to have a S&W 1st - 3rd Gen? Cause they were pieces of crap and I'd choose "none" unless that was the only gun I could own.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I'd like to find a nice 59 to put on the shelf next to my 6" Python. But that more because I'm a big Starsky and Hutch fan. :)

Southswede and smith10 like this.
  9. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

For me it's easy. The 39-2 (I've never even seen a 39 that wasn't a -2 now that I think of it.) I still think it's the most comfortable semi-auto pistol I've ever handled. The DA trigger isn't the greatest, but can be worked around. For it's day it was flat, fairly light, and easy to conceal. Note..."for it's day." Today there are much better choices. Still if I see a -2 at a dealer or a show, I have to have a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's my current one. I've owned much nicer, but hated to use them so they got sold to someone else. This one I think I'll keep.

I'd like to have a 3913 Lady-Smith also.

Bennydabull and SRT Shaft like this.
  10. Vikings87

Vikings87

I never really cared for by them. Triggers sucked.

Back in the mid 90's when I started LEO, there wasn't a lot to choose from. The instructors frowned apon caring 1911's because of the single action trigger thing.

But if I good go back in time, I would get a 4006, 4506 or the full size 10mm.

11. bac1023

bac1023

Pieces of crap?

The all steel models are among the most durable and reliable autos in history. I'll certainly give you that they weren't overly accurate or refined on average.

Crap sounds a bit harsh.

hogship, Dave514, Roadhouse and 3 others like this.
  12. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

If I were to get one, it would be this one. If I wanted a .40, I'd get a full size all stainless
    steel one- 4006.

13. willieH

willieH

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but this guy knows something about guns that contradicts your statement.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwLi3qKD0w

StLJohn likes this.
  14. banger

banger

One to own....

Certainly a model 39-2.

Absolutely one of the best feeling pistols (IMHO).

As to quality....

At the risk of being called a liar....

I had an issued Model 5906 that I quite literally put over 35,000 rounds through and was still in service when a re-arm took place.

I LOVED that pistol.

gatorboy likes this.
  15. ede

ede Bama's Friend

41 for rimfire and 952 for centerfire since you ask for me. I think for your needs it would be a 39.

byf43 likes this.
  16. DrewBone

DrewBone

Now we're talkin' my language!

The second and third gen 'Smiths are the bomb. I prefer the all stainless steel models over the blued/alloy versions because their finishes are readily restored to new with the proper abrasives, bead blast, and patience. Here's a pair of 659's that I resurrected from many years of use and neglect, mostlikely having been LE trade ins:
    [​IMG]
    I have a 4506 inbound and am always on the prowl for 645 and 1006 models.

lazarus66, SRT Shaft and JMag like this.
  17. CladderPup

CladderPup

They are all kind of junky, IMO. Heavy freaking design, slide mounted controls (yes, I know there were some with a frame mounted decocker), weird plastic thing in the slide, mag disconnect safety, outdated reassembly procedure with all the wonky levers you need to push down, recoil management is only average for being so heavy, the triggers tend to be average, weird turret-like rear sight, one-piece grip on third gens is kind of slippery, and they tend not to be as reliable as other guns, in my experience.

18. Cmbttupperware

Cmbttupperware

The one I sold. A 1006

Featherweight, TN.Frank and JMag like this.
  19. Superzuki

Superzuki

I have 2: a 4006 & 4013.
    The 4006 was an LEO turn-in, it shoots beautifully and has terrible holster wear. The 4013 was kept in somebodies sock drawer. There's not a mark on it.

Bullman likes this.
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You realize he works for S&W and his job is promoting their products, right?