What is the purpose of an aftermarket Glock slide?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 9mmkungfu, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 9mmkungfu

9mmkungfu

Aside from the obvious aesthetic difference, is there any functional improvement to a Glock by adding an aftermarket slide such as a Lone Wolf or Caspian?

2. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Not that I can tell but I've never used one. I'd be interested to see what those with first hand experience have to say.

3. pleaforwar

pleaforwar

Some people get them so they can have a longer slide (17L length for example) on their frame. Another reason for them is so people that have CCF frames can complete their gun without the hoopla of finding a Glock original slide.

4. Dingus

Dingus

The purpose is to lighten your wallet so that you may run faster and jump higher.

5. SCC

SCC just me

I have a 17-L and i could buy a 17 slide and barrel and have a 17

6. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

I give up! To be like the Jones?

7. cciman

cciman

Do not laugh....
    Its like car accessories, and additives, it's there to be bought and/or to add some function that the user deems necessary. Like that open SS bullet muffler on that Honda Civic, and the rear wing....

There are many things to be said about lightening the wallet

• it supports whoever makes the product, stimulates the local or global economy
    • you feel good because it makes your gun unique, and therefore special
    • the loss in weight over the wallet cheek improves the shooting stance, especially if shooting from sitting position, alleviates back pain
    • There must be a Glock conspiracy (defect) discovered by some independent outside company that needs to be addressed
    • nothing is perfect, it CAN be made better, especially since I thought of it
    • Estate planning; less left over for those gold diggers
    • Glocks are like puzzles, mix and match pieces to your every whim. That will fit on all three of my Glocks, right?
    • Black Glock slides are SOOO 1990's, and they are everywhere. You need one that says NOT GLOCK. Hey, will that XD slide fit on my Glock-- I like the loaded chamber indicator? Anyone tried that???
    :rofl::rofl:

8. snipe1

snipe1 Perfection

I don't know why anyone would do that. Glock includes a free slide with every gun.

:rofl:

9. seaswol

seaswol NRA Life Member

LWD's G20 long slide helps to hide all of Glock's 6" hunting barrel.:rofl:
    Chris

10. pcboss2

pcboss2

11. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Hmmm, I guess the front serrations on the LWD slides can aid in press-checking....that's if you do press-check.

DH

12. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

People like choices. Why does Glock make more than one model?

13. Orange

Orange

Whats the purpose........:upeyes::faint: like putting giant chrome rims on a 1973 chevy station wagon:faint:

14. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

There's a market to cater to, because you can now buy every single part it takes to build Glock clones without buying a single genuine Glock branded part (except you might want Glock mags). You can buy frames made of aluminum or steel, several different kinds of barrels with different rifling in them, and so somebody needs to make a slide to make the whole ball of wax complete.

There are few if any reasons to replace an existing slide with an aftermarket one, but I could maybe see myself building an entire gun just for the heck of it.

15. 9mmkungfu

9mmkungfu

Thanks for the responses. So it seems that there is no functional improvement over the factory Glock slide (unless you count the front serrations for press-checks). That is all I was wondering.

16. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

[​IMG]

I picked up this Lone Wolf slide used. I installed all oem Glock internals and run it with either a Lone Wolf .357 sig barrel or oem 23 barrel.

Since these pics were snapped I've had the slide Cerakoted satin black. It's just something different.

[​IMG]

The sights in this picture were only installed for the photo. That's an XS Big Dot front with Glock oem adjustable rear. It has matching sights on it now.

17. Asmodeus6

Asmodeus6

Can you buy a replacement OEM Glock slide if you dick one up some how? Maybe that is the niche these fit into? I've done some looking around for bits and pieces. I like having extra parts for everything laying around if something breaks. And slides are not exactly floating around out there. What if I drop the damn thing and it hits pavement and OOH... man... big huge gouge. F! That is not going to buff out.

What then? Who cares? Well yeah, but can you buy another OEM slide if yours is damaged some how? I haven't seen them anywhere? What if you wanted a ported one, and a non-ported one? What if you booger the crap out of yours porting it, or having it ported? There are lots of reasons to sell slides. Maybe just not an "everyone" market item.

18. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Because some of us have too many weapons and want to make one different. Here's my carry gun, G22 with LW slide, polished trigger with reduced striker & trigger springs, ESR, grip plug, chromes slide plate and polished extractor. Since this photo I polished the barrel to a mirror shine with Mothers mag wheel polish and a dremel.
    [​IMG]

19. 9mmkungfu

9mmkungfu

Sorry I am not implying there is no reason for one. I was simply wondering if there was a functional improvement to the existing slide. I do like them from an aesthetic approach.

20. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

... Would you buy a Ferrari and then swap its body for a aftermarket one.... ??? You'll say its the dumbest thing to do. :supergrin:

It's the same thing to swap slide with original Glock. :rofl: