What is the problem with Duracell batteries and their leaking crap?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Dog Dad, Sep 18, 2015.

1. railfancwb

railfancwb

Duracell was bought/traded out of P&G not too long ago by Warren Buffet. Cause and effect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

I've had the same problems. I've learned to take batteries out of anything I don't use daily.

Oddly enough, I saw a Duracell package indicating they are leak proof. That was new. I don't know if it is a leak proof model, or if they are trying to improve them all and advertising like they are on top of the issue.

I have a TSC close by, and I get their batteries and never have a problem.

3. Z71bill

Z71bill

Duracell batteries suck - they always have - they have good advertising.

The only Duracell batteries I have - "C" cells, 9 volt and 3 Volt (123) - all made in the USA -

4. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

The simple solution to acid leakage is to stop playing with alkaline batteries.

Eneloops or Lithiums are the way to go. The Lithiums cost more, but you'll get 3-4X more run time out of them and they have a shelf life of 15 years or more. The rechargeable Eneloops also have a longer run time than alkalines in high drain devices, can be recharged many hundreds of times and the low self-discharge Eneloops retain more than 85% of their charge even after 3 years or so on the shelf.

Between Lithiums and rechargeables, I haven't purchased an alkaline battery in over 6 years...and haven't missed them at all.

Diesel_Bomber likes this.
  5. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

And disposable batteries in landfills actually do more environmental damage than my SUV. . . Almost every battery driven device in my house now uses rechargeable batteries (Eneloops for the AA & AAA cells and Orbtronics for the 18650s)

I keep one 40 pack of Alkaleaks AA's for emergencys.

rick458 likes this.
  6. nursetim

nursetim

One of the battery companies has a guarantee, if it ruins the product the batteries are in, they will replace it.

7. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

And did you take it to school?

8. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Now you got me feeling bad - I thought I was getting a good deal. Actually, it was a gift from my daughter, good for 5 months, and I don't know if I'll renew when it's up. I have a bad tendency to use a razor for months if I can get away with it. My daughter made me promise I'd change the blade every week.

As for the low post count, I'm averaging 56.5 posts a year! I can keep my opinions to myself when need be. Probably better for everyone.

Now - back to batteries!

9. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I would probably go to a TSC if I knew what it was.

10. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Be sure not to tell us which it is. *smiley emoticon*

11. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

My understanding is that Duracells made in the last few years have gotten very bad about leaking and damaging things. I'm unsure if it was a change in chemistry, or they're cheaping out on the construction (between bean counters and environmental regs, either or both are entirely possible). The electronics forums seem to like Energizers as they seem to be better about not breaking potty training and making a mess of things.

And as an aside, for cleaning up the leakage and corrosion, keep in mind that these are ALKALINE batteries, so what's leaking is a base, not an acid. Everyone associates batteries and acid thanks to lead acid car batteries, but like the name says, in this case these are at the opposite end of the pH scale, and their leakage should be neutralized with a mild acid, such as vinegar. Trying to clean it with a base (like the baking soda you'd use for a car battery) will do nothing to stop the corrosion, and could in fact make it worse.

-Pat

12. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

There seems to be two different Duracell batteries.

The ones made here that you would buy in retail packages in the store, the the bulk pack you'd order through some place like amazon. Now the question is, are the chinese batteries legit or fakes? Any time you buy an import flashlight in the store, and it comes with Duracell batteries. They are always chinese made. The bulk pack Duracells from Amazon have come in a white box and are not packaged in retail packages.

Has anyone ever bought a retail package of chinese duracells?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  13. njl

njl Crusty Member

I haven't seen this with Duracells, but the Kirkland AA batteries sold by Costco are, in my experience, virtually guaranteed to leak acid before they even die, which is quite annoying. By the time they start showing signs of being weak, they've already damaged or destroyed what they were powering. I've only bought Duracells from Costco the past few years.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Is everyone reading the package carefully?

[​IMG]

Jason D likes this.
  15. nursetim

nursetim

I gave you a start, you must complete the journey on your own grasshopper.

16. johnstein11

johnstein11

Duracell batteries ruined my big mag light. Called them, they sent me a check and coupons for more batteries.

17. TK-421

TK-421

Never had that issue with any Duracell's I've purchased.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Three words: No such thing. In C size.

19. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Are you serious, not sure about the newer ones but Duracell AAs have always done very well in any comparison test done by competent testers, most of the time being at the top or very close. From my experience, that's a very goofy statement to say the least. :dunno:

20. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Never had a battery ruin a product. I have had pretty much every brand leak though. They ALL say to take out of the product if you are not using it for a long period of time though....