Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
Paid for a G26, waiting out my 7-8 day waiting period.
I didn't see a thread on the subject, so I thought I'd ask a few naive questions:
what is the lifespan of a glock? ie - How many bullets can I reasonably expect to shoot through and it have it still be completely reliable? What parts wear out first?

The internet says Glock started making pistols in 1986 (the G18) with the G19 introduced in 1988? Are all of these guns still in use?

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Howdy,
I didn't see a thread on the subject, so I thought I'd ask a few naive questions:
what is the lifespan of a glock? ie - How many bullets can I reasonably expect to shoot through and it have it still be completely reliable? What parts wear out first?

The internet says Glock started making pistols in 1986 (the G18) with the G19 introduced in 1988? Are all of these guns still in use?
The G17 was first, the G18 was second, etc., the numbers are in order. Chuck Taylor has a G17, last I heard, was over 3 quarters of a million rounds, undoubtedly more by now. Some range rental guns have reportedly went well over a million. Your mileage may vary. The springs are usually the first to go.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The overall gun could probably last forever with the normal maintenance of certain things.

Parts will wear out but can be easily replaced.

·
GLOCK 20SF 10MM
639 Posts
Howdy,

It will last longer than you do!

The model numbers correspond with the order in which Glock created it. The G17 was the 17th Glock procuct...

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:supergrin: Ahhh, smell that Cherry Kool-Aid!

Certain Glocks, most notably the 9mm models, can be expected to last a very long time. Quite frankly, I wouldn't doubt a half million rounds. (More than you'll, probably, ever fire in your lifetime.) ;)

Across the entire Glock model line? I'd say it's reasonable to expect a realistic service life on the polymer frames of, between, thirty and fifty thousand rounds. (You may get more out of the slide and barrel.)

What goes first? Probably the recoil spring or it's crappy plastic rod. (Which isn't going to affect you or your new G-26.) I'd only suggest you pick up an extra: (1) slide lock spring, and (2) trigger spring.

EDITED: How could I forget? Get a half dozen SLB's too. (Part #14) They have the most annoying way of flying across the room when you either remove or replace the slide cover.

I don't want to count the hours I've spent looking for a few of mine! :freak:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Chuck Taylor, as well as most range guns are Glock Pro models. These have beefier slides, stronger springs and made to take a beating.
The civilian model you bought usually last a couple hundred rounds.
I think some members on here have gotten 500, but that is rare.
If you promise to only put a hundred rounds or so through it, I will buy it for $360.00.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Chuck Taylor, as well as most range guns are Glock Pro models. These have beefier slides, stronger springs and made to take a beating.
If you promise to only put a hundred rounds or so through it, I will buy it for $360.00.
:rofl:

·
Original "G"
662 Posts
Howdy,

I carry and use a 1990 vintage G23. I do not know the round count or how many previous owners have used it. I do know the previous owner to me was a local cop. It shows.

I have yet to have any failure with it.

The only issue was that sometime in its past the locking block pin was replaced with a piece of stainless pin. I replaced it with the correct part.

Always detail strip a well used Glock. You never know what you may (or may not, for that matter) find.

·
Got Glock?
13,775 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Don't confuse this guy.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have heard the frame rails break on the G22 after 25k rounds or so. I have only seen one that this happened to though.

·
I shoot guns.
1,570 Posts
Local guy I shoot a lot of matches with broke the left rear rail off the frame of his G34, with 60-70,000 rounds through it. Still ran perfectly - didn't notice it until he stripped it to clean. Sent it back to Glock, and they gave him a new frame.

2 weeks after it came back, the slide cracked. Nearly in half. At the front edge of the ejection port, it cracked completely down the left side, and halfway through on the right side of the slide. Could've snapped it in half with your hands.

It's back at Glock, and they're fixing that for free as well. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
The lifespan of a Glock is most likely longer than yours. Doesn't that thought just give you a warm fuzzy feeling. That little piece of plastic and steel will still be functional after you have died of old age and are pushing up daisies.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Actually I think that the G17 (first pistol) was Glock's 17th patent, not product.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Local IPSC Master only got 44,000-rounds through his G34. Gotta figure though that was with a Lone Wolf barrel he fitted himself and shooting major 9mm ammunition. The frame finally cracked.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts