What is the G44 attraction?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Terry G, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Terry G

Terry G

Just because it's got Glock on it? I am a .22 handgun fanatic, and I'm not seeking help. I don't understand all this fuss about a 10 shot average .22 semi-automatic. Custom slides, threaded barrels, now 18 round after market magazines. I recently bought a S&W .22 Compact and can say without a doubt it's a better gun than the G44. So is a Ruger SR22. They both cost me almost exactly what a Clock 44 is going for. The TX22 has a better grip, trigger, and has OEM magazines holding 16 rounds. It's about a $100.00 cheaper too. (Good Luck finding one.) I have had the opportunity to shoot three G44's now and it's a good basic plinker. I certainly didn't feel the need to run out and buy one. My bedside gun is a Glock 21 and a Glock 17 rest's on my hip on a lot of hikes lest you think I'm a Glock hater. Has to be extreme brand loyalty. It's just not that great a .22. IMG_3715 (1).JPG A .22 Pistols.jpg

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  2. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

No attraction for me on the G44. Other 22 pistols is a yes though.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone

If a person likes the Glock platform then they'll be attracted to the rimfire G44, simply because it's a Glock.

I've purchased quite a few .22LR handguns in recent months to use as fun/plinker suppressor hosts, and although at one point in time I owned 13 different Glock pistol models, as much as I tried I just could not become a fan of the Glock platform (insert: broken record) thanks to their lousy ergonomics. And that is only reason 1 of 3 why I'd never own a Glock 44...the other reasons being the initial cost of the pistol is too high, as is the added expense of a threaded barrel if you want to shoot it suppressed. There are less expensive options out there that have more features that already have a strong following not only in sales but in aftermarket accessories and upgrades. Glock is just offering too little - for too much $$ - too late into the game.

Of course most who own a G44 claim to love them, and that's great! But I just don't happen to share that love, and it's ok to feel that way...it's not a crime for cripe's sake! ;)

4. ede

ede

Legal for Rimfire GSSF

5. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I have a wide variety of 22lr pistols and a few revolvers to include the G44. The attraction for me was to use the G44 as a trainer and now that aftermarket stuff is starting to be produced (slowly) I can set it up just like my other Glock/Polymer80 guns.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Ease of complete disassembly (no roll pins) and availability of ProMag 18-round magazines.

Bluescot likes this.
  7. MajorD

MajorD

If all your defense guns are glocks then a good training platform, gssf rimfire too.
    Honestly the current crop of what I call “combat trainers” ( guns in 22 designed to be similar in appearance or manual of arms to full size service guns) don’t impress me much, but then again I was raised on precision bullseye 22’s.
    However if I was to get one due to commonality with my 9mm’s and being able to use at gssf it would be a 44

Tanger likes this.
  8. CMG

CMG

"I don't understand all this fuss..."

Terry, if you want you can just point us to the folks saying you must like the G44 and we'll have a little talk with them. Maybe they'll leave you alone. :D

Likes are personal, dislikes too. Buy what you like, shoot what you're competent with and carry what you're confident in.

OdinIII likes this.
  9. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Rimfire GSSF = Stock G44

The G44 can't be used in any other GSSF division ... stock or otherwise.

10. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I only recently bought a G44 for two reasons (now 1,000+ rounds in) ...
    In order to take full-advantage of a G44 as a G19 trainer, it must be set up exactly like your G19 (i.e., Trijicon RMR, Trijicon tritium suppressor-height sights, Surefire weaponlight, ...).

[​IMG]

11. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

12. curlysir

curlysir

I bought one because it is a Glock and I wanted one.

13. G19Gilly

G19Gilly

I collect model 19's, and to me the 44 allows me to have something that feels very similar to the 19's (I even added TFO sights to my 44, just like I have on most of my 19's) but is a LOT less expensive to shoot. I even bought 8 extra mags for a total of 10 so that I could load up a box of MiniMags and run through them (at a fraction of the 9mm price) for fun on the range.

I too have multiple other rimfires ranging from Ruger / Beretta / Browning / Taurus / Walther / S&W / Sig / etc, but my Glock 44 is definitely in the top of the list.

The only downside of the 44 that I can find is that it's finicky on ammo. Mine loves MiniMags but won't tolerate much else, including cheap stuff AND Eley.

14. OdinIII

OdinIII

I want my new pistols to be like my other pistols. Variety is ok in some areas but why would I want to practice everyday with a Glock and then have all kinds of different grip angles and ergonomics in my pistols? Why not take advantage of having similar pistols so my practice will more closely apply to all my pistols?

I also don’t understand that 10 round hate. Is anyone using this for serious purposes where round count will matter? 10 rounds seems fine for the intended purpose of this pistol.

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Those look great, it's what Glock SHOULD have done with the 44, but I'm not putting out another $220 just to have an aluminum slide.

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  16. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I agree completely. I think the G44 slide was over-engineered without a significant increase in reliability (and some significant drawbacks) as compared to an aluminum slide.

And that assumes you're willing to pilfer the parts from your G44 slide, otherwise, you're looking at another $55.00 MSRP ($66.85 Midwest Gun Works less shipping) for parts (assuming you're willing to share the barrel and recoil spring assembly). Personally, I want to preserve my G44 slide so I have a benchmark to compare the reliability of the 44X slides to.

17. grumpy1

grumpy1

I also agree with those that are buying the Glock 44 due to having a lot of familiarity with Glocks and especially the Glock 19. From what I have been reading most everyone that actually owns a Glock 19 loves it and are experiencing great reliability with them with a wide range of ammo. I like that it also comes with the Gen 5 backstraps to that it can be customized to best fit a wide variety of shooters hands/fingers. Glock 44 can be safely dry fired and fits in Glock 19 holster which is another big plus for many of us.

I have a M&P 22 Compact and it has been great but a bit small for my hands but works very well for the wife. Not interested in the Taurus TX22 due to wide reports of barrel problems and breaking. If Taurus customer service was better that might not be such an issue but waiting three months or more for a repair is just terrible.

Recent report of slide breakage of TX22.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7WIm9WIUxs&ab_channel=Guns%26Cars

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

The TX22 barrel problems are fixed, and the breakage...well, there's a thread on here about the G44 slide breaking in the very same place.

If you look at the front of his recoil spring, you can see the sharp edge at the end, there have been reports of this sharp edge digging into the end of the slide during cycling, maybe weakening it to the point of this type of failure. Easy fix is to file the end so the forward sharp edge is gone, I did this to mine before firing it and have no wear whatsoever. Also, the front end of the spring should be rotated 180 degrees, under the rounded side of the guide rod, preventing any chance of popping off when it's out of the gun.

upload_2020-9-26_11-44-49.png

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  19. grumpy1

grumpy1

True but IMO a bit weird thread in that the OP posted some of the pictures that were not even of a Glock 44 and has not been keeping up to date about what is going on. Still if it really did happen as described and alleged I am sure Glock will fix it promptly and not take over three freaking months. Glad you found an easy fix for your TX22 but it should not come from the factory that way and I bet that almost no one else will be doing that fix to their new TX22. Glad your TX22 is working well for you but not something I am interested in but I will buy a Glock 44 and with confidence.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  20. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I'm sure everyone's aware Glock redesigned the G44 slide and extractor starting with serial number prefix AEHK. This was supposedly to address an issue with the slide being released on a chamber flag, however, some have speculated there was more to the redesign than this. In either case, if you're in the market for a G44, I'd recommended a late model (serial number prefix > AEHK). The new extractor is not backward-compatible with the old slide. On a related topic, all of the Nelson Precision / BoogeyMan Customs 44X slides will be compatible with both the old and new G44 extractor.