What is the future of Glock GmbH & Glock USA?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Borg Warner, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Considering that Gaston Glock is 85 years old and is estranged from his heirs who are suing him for control of the company, and he has no top key executives who can run the company after he's gone, like Bill Ruger did, The future of the Glock handguns that we all know and love is uncertain.

I don't mean that in the sense that there will be no more Glocks, because whoever takes control of the company when Gaston Glock passes, would be foolish to mess with the success of such a profitable company, but I'm thinking in terms of innovation. Hopefully whoever runs the parent company in Austria will allow Glock USA the freedom to respond to the American market and will be able to market guns without finger grooves and maybe even affordable carbines.

In the case of Sturm,Ruger Inc, since Bill Ruger died the company has been more innovative than ever before, but Sturm Ruger inc had several key executives who were real "Gun Guys", and ther was alos Bill Ruger's son, William B. Ruger, Jr., but who retired and resigned as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer effective February 28, 2006 and also resigned as Chairman of the Board and Board Member of the Sturm, Ruger Board of Directors, earlier in February 13th of that year.

Here is an article written up in Anti-gun Bloomberg news about the Glock family lawsuit, that nonetheless has some detailed information about the ongoing lawsuit, and another little tidbit that I happened to find in Wikipedia which explains why unlike Bill Ruger, Gaston Glock has no top executives that he can trust. currently there is a new CEO and other top officers at Glock USA but the is no one but Gaston running Glock Central in Austria.

The Glock Family Feud: Founder's Ex-Wife and Kids Speak Out for the First Time
    Together they made a fortune selling death machines, so why did Daddy abandon them?

Paul M. Barrett- Bloombrerg September‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014‎ ‎3‎:‎08‎ ‎AM
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ounders-ex-wife-kids-speak-out-for-first-time

From Wikipedia: Glock GmbH has been the target of multiple embezzlement schemes involving high-ranking officers of the company or others closely related to the company. In 1999, Charles Ewert attempted to murder Gaston Glock after Glock asked for a meeting regarding an accusation of embezzlement. Ewert was convicted of attempted murder along with an accomplice for his involvement.[13]

In April 2012, Paul Jannuzzo, the former CEO of US subsidiary Glock, Inc., was convicted of racketeering regarding his involvement in an embezzlement scheme against the company.[14]

Aslan and metaephor like this.
  2. nikolaz

nikolaz

I speculate Elon Musk will buy them and equip all his rockets with 10mms as it is more efficient than hydrogen.

But seriously who the **** knows?

halfmoonclip and metaephor like this.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

No one actually has any way of really knowing, but I've heard the opinion expressed here in these forums a couple of times that when Gaston Glock dies, that will be the end of the company. All I'm saying is that taking everything into consideration, that may not necessarily be true owing to the fact that the company is making money and whoever owns the company will want to continue to keep doing that.

4. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

The death of the founder is something every company has to [eventually] deal with.

Glock will be OK.

5. Old School

Old School

I agree. It's not like they've done anything but make the original design bigger and smaller. If Gaston personally was coming out with new designs - shotguns, revolvers, rifles, etc that were revolutionary in the same way the first pistol was: that would be a different story.

Also, the OP article went on and on about Ruger. They seem to have survived.

6. mds1140

mds1140 nothing to see here, move along

I have squirreled away enough small parts and mags that I should be able to withstand a company collapse for a long time. I suggest other glock aficionados do the same.

Aslan and slamdunc like this.
  7. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

And if the company were to go under (highly unlikely), there are now so many aftermarket manufacturers of replacement & upgrade parts, I'm sure I can keep all of my Glocks running for the rest of my life.

LarryNC and Aslan like this.
  8. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I think Glocks have followed a specific path, by design. Gaston's eventual passing may be just what it takes to lead them to explore other paths.

Borg Warner likes this.
  9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Que sera, sera!

I'm much more concerned whether I'll survive Gaston. :)

LarryNC likes this.
  10. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

They will corner the AR-15 market with a 5.56mm carbine.

11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Sorry to go on and on, but I was trying to make the point that Ruger not only survived, but they became a better more innovative company which helped them prosper financially.

My hope is that Glock will do the same if they have some good people running Glock USA and are given the flexibility to do so by the parent company.

Aslan likes this.
  12. Old School

Old School

No worries. I think it's a great thread. And I would also like to see Glock become better - with or without Gaston at the helm.

Aslan likes this.
  13. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Maybe we'll find out if you can take it with you, or not.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  14. Jim

Jim

The Bloomberg article is dated 2 1/2 years ago, I wonder what has happened since then?

15. OBG17

OBG17

I surely hope that a company such as Glock has a contingency plan for post-Gaston. Maybe new products/enhancements will be introduced that are currently being blocked by Gaston.

If Glock does go under, I will be buying more CZ guns.

16. LarryNC

LarryNC Millennium Member

Borg Warner, Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post, but in my honest opinion, what innovation are you referring to? Yes their was certainly innovation in the beginning of the company. But I honestly have not really seen any innovation out of Glock, in a really long time. Just adding different calibers and frame sizes doesn't really mean innovation as far as I am concerned. The biggest threat to Glock, Inc. isn't in the passing of the company founder, but in being beaten by the many people/companies that have followed with striker-fired, polymer frame semi-automatic pistols of their own. Most of them have better triggers and better ergonomics than what Glock came out with in ~1982.

17. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

They haven't introduced any new designs, just variations of an existing design. So, unless they have a team of design engineers stuck in a freezer somewhere, they would need to build up a design department that is capable of creating new products. I can't imagine a company like Glock having those people and paying them to do nothing, or having them produce designs and then doing nothing with them.

The one thing they have going for them is that they are a private company so at least they don't have short sighted investors making unrealistic demands on how they run the company.

18. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

The issue is the pending lawsuits and possible criminal charges. Gaston has delayed each but if he dies before the suits are litigated, litigation itself might destroy from within.

I suspect a settlement will precipitate a need for funds and that will be the key to most situations.

Ps I do not see a status quo. The thermometer might be GSSF, the continuation or downsizing of matches and expenditures will be something to follow in the event of his death.

19. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Glock is somewhat of a one-trick pony, tho' it's one hell of a trick. Whether the company can make a transition to models that are truly different in more than size or detail is another question. Colt has always had a hard time going beyond the 1911 and the AR; Glock may have similar challenges.
    Moon

20. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

"What is the future of Glock GmbH & Glock USA?"

Judging from my first outing with a Sig 320...not much. ;)