close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the best way to sound proof a car?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rick458, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

2008 Honda Accord with fairly loud road noise.
    what is the best way to quiet it down?

2. userfriendly

userfriendly

What kind of road noise? If its from the tires, best way is to change to quieter tires. You can also put sound deadening materials on the wheel wells. It works but its heavy. There are a lot of different brands available. Car audio guys use this stuff.

If its creaks and suspension noises, something may be broke and needs fixing.

3. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

It is mostly tire noise but there just aren't many quiet low profile tires
    went from Michelen Pilot Sports, to Pirelli P zeros.
    So if I pull all the trunk panels and cover the wheel wells, trunck, spare tire well,
    and the trunk walls, and sides with Raam mat etc, that should help a bit correct?

4. userfriendly

userfriendly

it should help. mind you i never tried deadening the trunk and wheel wells. The most i did was the front doors and it made a difference

5. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Hondas are truly fine, well-engineered cars, but every Honda I have ever experienced (since 1979) has excessive road-noise. I could never own one for this reason.

One very effective way to reduce road-noise in a car...
    Drop the headliner and insert a blanket of pink fiberglass insulation, the same type as used in the wall of houses, with the paper backing removed.

The fiberglass blanket should be just thick enough that when you re-install the headliner the fiberglass just begins to be slightly squeezed into place so it isn't packed tightly.

Probably more work than you want to do, but you would be very surprised how effective this is.

I've never done this to a Honda but to understand why this works, stand beside the car and tap lightly on the roof.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Evercoat-116-Q-Pads-Deadener/dp/B000P70UP8"]Amazon.com: Fibreglass Evercoat 116 Q-Pads Sound Deadener 12 x 12 (6 Per Pack): Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61R3NU6B7OL.@@AMEPARAM@@61R3NU6B7OL[/ame]