close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the best Parralax Free red dot/reflex sight for a glock 34?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by zmarshall, Mar 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. zmarshall

zmarshall Lost Hero

Hello all,

I own 2 pistols for defensive carry, I purchased one specifically for concealed carry, and use the other for open carry.

Don't get mad, but the choice for concealment was:

Springfield XD40 4inch V-Ported

My open carry pistol is a Glock34 9mm.

I am in the process of adding XS Big Dot tritium sights to the XD, which will cover me for day and night self defense scenarios when carrying my concealed gun. The problem that remains is my open carry gun, the G34. I was originally going to do the same, until I stumbled upon the jpoint red dot. I have to admit, I was blown away the first time I saw a pic of it mounted on a glock.

So here is the dilemma, spend about a 100 bucks on night sights and only add the ability to shoot in low light, or, add a red dot sight and not only get low light aim-ability, but also add sniper like marksmanship to my mid and long range target engagements.(slight exaggeration)

OK, so here is the real topic.
    If I am going to use a red dot on a pistol, it needs to cover 3 things at a minimum as far as I can figure.
    1: It must be parallax free!
    2: It must be small.
    3: It must be reliable and intuitive.

Which are my best options to cover the above 3 requirements? And price isn't really an issue, because you cant put a price on having the most advantages over the bad guys.

So far, as of right now, I am really leaning towards the C-more STS.

Now, I'm not too interested in opinions unless you have personal experience either owning, firing, of carrying a pistol with some kind of red dot on it. If you have pure facts or statistics those are also welcome.

For those who reply with valuable feedback, I thank you in advance.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. zmarshall

zmarshall Lost Hero

Here is a link to the jpoint website:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php

Here is the burris competition:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

The cmore sts:

http://www.cmore.com/sts.html

Here is trijicon's version:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13

Here is one I literally just found, The Ultradot L/T:

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2010_003.htm

NcStar Tactical Micro Holographic Red Dot Sight

http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=133

Just found this one as well, The MRDS(mini red dot sight) from Insight Tech-Gear:

http://www.insighttechgearstore.com/mrmireddotsi.html

TNVC RDPII

http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_optics/rdpII.html

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010

3. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I too would like to hear from those that have one of the red dot sights.

My concern would be reliablity as well.

4. zmarshall

zmarshall Lost Hero

In the May/June issue of American Handgunner Magazine, Dave Anderson promotes this very idea without hesitation.

The Article is titled: "Red Dot Concealed Carry"

The setup he references:

Next gen Glock 22 with dovetail mounted Jpoint red dot.

Here is a link that will probably only work for a little while, but you can read the article in PDF format while it lasts.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHMJ10/?page=26

The article lays to rest any concerns I may have had about size, weight and bulk, I am still unsure about the parallax effect with the Jpoint.

Respectfully,
    Z.M.

5. MBG20

MBG20

i would go with the jpoint simply because it has the built in rear sight incase of optic failure...

6. blackbag

blackbag

Trijicon RMR. It's built like an acog. Water proof to 66 feet. You can pound on it, very robust. Only down side is cost.

7. porkchop817

porkchop817

8. njl

njl Crusty Member

Seems everybody is making copies of the Tasco Optima lately.

AFAIK, the J-Point is just a rebadging of what was originally sold by Tasco (Tasco didn't actually make the Optima). I'd be skeptical of them simply because the Optima's were never known for their reliability or longevity.

The Cmore is interesting (though pricey), and almost corrects my biggest complaint with the Optima. What the Optima really needed was an override for the automatic dot intensity in order to make the dot usable in low light conditions. A dark shooting stall and brightly lit target area would make an Optima nearly unusable. I don't know that having just 3 settings (off, auto, max) is the way I'd go...I think it'd make more sense to have a variable "boost" dial that would let you crank up the brightness without having to either settle for auto or go to full power. At full brightness, it could end up too bright and start to get fuzzy.

9. zmarshall

zmarshall Lost Hero

blackbag: I agree with you, the trijicon is awesome, but does seem to be a little too pricey, for the cost they are asking, I would quickly go with the insight mrds instead. It was actually designed to exceed military spec and has the awesome mounting options of any aftermarket doctor sight mount.

njl: While I dont know for sure, I think the jpoint was intended to be a "next gen" model of its previous versions and I remember reading some reviews saying it was very robust and took a beating while still holding it's zero, As my original post states, I am leaning towards the Cmore sts and to speak on price, it is almost exactly the same as the Jpoint, roughly $270. Comparing the Jpoint and the Cmore, I think the Cmore wins since the prices are nearly the same.

From the research I have been making, the best options seem to be the cmore sts, jpoint, and the insight mrds. Of these, it seems obvious that the insight mrds is the better as it exceeds mil spec and has more output selections, however it is over $100 more than the others. The Jpoint seems to be the "hot" mini red dot right now, but whats "hot" isn't always whats best.

I would like to note that of these 3 sights, only the cmore actually says it is parallax free. If someone could nail this down for the other two, then I think we would have all we needed to decide which is best for our particular needs.

Again, since this will be going on an open carry pistol, fast sight acquisition is "life or death" important, I cant waist valuable partial seconds searching for an elusive red dot, I need to be able to bring the gun up and on target and see a red dot regardless of whether I have it exactly in the center of the window(in other words, it MUST be parallax free).

I am assuming both the jpoint and the insight are parallax free, but again, I don't know for sure, if they are, I would say the insight mrds wins as the best regardless of price, and the cmore narrowly beats the jpoint due to the actual output selections. If price is a factor and all 3 are, in fact, parallax free, then my vote goes to the cmore sts as the best mini red dot, providing all the options you need, but still remaining reasonably priced.

If anyone has knowledge, please respond with any feedback on the parallax free stats of either sights in question. A simple confirmation or denial will help tremendously.

Respectfully,
    Z.M.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. njl

njl Crusty Member

Are you planning to carry this with or without the sight cover? One of my Glocks, I bought used with an Optima on it. The previous owner had used it as a carry gun. He'd tied an elastic band to his holster and through a slot in the front of the Optima's cover such that on drawing the gun, the Optima cover would get pulled off automatically. I don't know what the Cmore's cover looks like, but that may be something to keep in mind.

11. zmarshall

zmarshall Lost Hero

That is a very cool idea, and as you can see by following the link to this pic:

http://www.cmore.com/Images/STS-Cover.jpg

the cover does have a retention loop on the front that would work perfectly for this.

I do like the idea, however, for me, I think I am going to keep my draw as simple as possible, the last thing I would want is to try to draw and have the cover get caught or even just slow down my draw. I admit this would probably never happen, of even be possible, but when someone's life is on the line, I don't want to take any chances... Threat Identified, step and draw, raise to target, finger on trigger and squeeze until the treat stops being a treat!

Cool stuff, keep it coming.

Respectfully,
    Z.M.

12. joeG26er

joeG26er Millennium Member

I use a holographic sight on my Buckmark for squirrel hunting and plinking

The accuracy benefits are incredible.

I can hit 20 gauge hulls dead center at 15 yards as long as my trigger control and breathing are correct.

Downsides-
    if the sun is setting behind there are distracting reflections
    the dot can be hard to find as it "floats" in on the flat "screen"

I find it much easier to align a tube form red-dot and quicker to acquire targets
    However, this is on an AR format so the weapon form factor also aligns the target better than a pistol. There are very few distracting reflections with a tube due to the built-in shade for the dot.

13. JohnTz

JohnTz

Is there a mount for the Trijicon RMR that would fit a Glock. Can't seem to find that.

14. bentbiker

bentbiker

There is a mount for their RedDot sight (MS24) http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-red-dot-sight-mounts.html . I have calls into Botach Tactical and OpticsPlanet asking whether it works with the RMR, but Botach ignored me on Monday, took a couple days off (Passover?), and I just inquired of OpticsPlanet last night. I have heard it can be difficult to spend your money at Botach, but to not answer an email at all for 4 days is inexcusable when a customer is trying to spend $600.

If I get an answer, I'll post it. Maybe I'll try contacting Trijicon re the mount. I wanted to work with a dealer since they could also confirm stock at the same time.

15. bentbiker

bentbiker

Wow, that was quick. Just got off the phone with Trijicon cust svc and they advise that the MS24 will not work. They are finishing the final specs on Glock mount and expect it to be out late summer or early fall. Can't imagine why it takes so long, but my guess is that they have it made in the Orient and lead times are probably several months. I'm sure a good 'smith could modify the MS24 or the JPoint to work, but it might cost as much as the RMR. Disappointment reigns.

16. bentbiker

bentbiker

Thanks, Limey, for the link. I thought I had seem some reference to the MS24 being appropriate for use with the RMR, but I couldn't find it again. I tried to get clarification today from Trijicon, Botach Tactical, and OpticsPlanet, but with the holiday weekend, contacting live bodies was impossible.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  17. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

No sweat, go figure, customer service talking out of the rear quarters.........

18. bentbiker

bentbiker

So, I'm assuming the web page is incorrect since the RMR web page doesn't show it as a workable mount -- just the RedDot sub-page. And you are concluding just the opposite. Now, I'll join you in your conclusion if you tell me that you have the RMR installed on a Glock using an unmodified MS24 mount . . . you aren't withholding that piece of the puzzle are you?

19. BillR

BillR Senior Member

Great thread!
    I did the research and just ordered the STS for my G35. It should be here in a week or so.:cool: