Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me it's an 18 inch SPR. I think the AR15 really shines as like a mini-DMR/sniper rifle while still being light weight and compact enough to be fairly decent at closer ranges too. Also those just look the coolest to me. My favorite gun period is my AR15 SPR.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I like the AR Pistol with a red dot and backup sights. It’s easier to maneuver in a home defense scenario.

I have no need for being a sniper but I have configurations in 5.56 mm, 9 mm, 45 ACP, 300 AAC/Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 308 Win and 6.5 Creedmoor. Barrel lengths in 5.56 mm from 10.5” pistols to 16” carbine, and up to 22”.

I have only suppressed 9 mm, 45 ACP and 300 AAC/Blackout. I’d love to suppress the Creedmoor and Grendel. Forget trying to suppress the 223/5.56mm.

My Optics range from Red dots, to the Vortex Strike Eagle, up to 44 and 50 mm objectives.

I think the answers are going to go all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I believe the best overall AR15 setup is the 12.5 inch 5.56. It is long enough to get decent ballistics out of the 5.56 round, but short enough to still be handy indoors. IMO it’s the jack of all trades master of none AR.

Second place would be the 8” suppressed .300 Blackout. If ammo was more available/cheaper this configuration would be king.

·
Banned
547 Posts
I like my standard ARs with a quality red dot and backup sights. I have a Trijicon MRO and it makes my LE6960 a tack driver at 50 yards. If I ever get experienced enough, I believe it will do the same at at 100 yards.
Ditto. I love my 6920 too. All millspec, as accurate and reliable as expected.

Reactions: Teecher45

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm boring, so a 16" midlength AR with a red dot and backup irons. Nice and balanced. While I'm sure you can use an AR as a longer distance rifle, I tend to see mine as a 100 yards and in option (based on my skill level and needs).

If ammo costs and NFA were not an issue, I would say an 8 to 10 inch 300 blackout. I like the wide range of ammo (supersonic or subsonic, 78gr to 220 gr).

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I don’t really have an answer other than to say that it depends what you need it for. For a huge percentage of people, these are defensive weapons meant to be used between zero and 10 yards, maybe up to 50. I would guess the shorter and lighter, the better, for these people (myself included). But for others, they might need more range and more power. “Best” is going to be a little (or a lot) different from one person to the next.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Flat top receiver.
One piece Warne scope mount.
Trijicon 1-6 Accupoint scope. Again lighter weight.
Full length free float railed hand guard. Pick your poison on hand guards. But again I prefer a lighter weight hand guard.
18” barrel mid to light profile.
Decent trigger by who ever you like. I prefer a JM.
I do prefer a Lower receiver that has the trigger guard built in.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
I view them as a mid to close range weapon so lately my favorite is my Ruger AR556 pistol.
10.5" bbl, maglok handguard, SB tactical brace, red dot sight with Magpul BUS.
single point sling.
My favorite as well. Picked it up for $559 on Grabagun last month. Now it's $709. Glad I bought when I did.

20200503_070910.jpg

·
I feel pretty.
3,954 Posts

14.5" Reece, pinned and welded comp. 556 middy. 300 pistol. 13" Keymod or Mlok rail. Aimpoint or Eotech on a Larue riser. Troy flip up sights. Ambi safety, BAD lever.

18" Rifle, .223wylde, carbine stock, 1-8x Trijicon Credo in a Larue mount.

The 18" AR's are a bit of a gamer gun, but work well for more open terrains. Where I'm at, forest, hills, rain and snow, a carbine without magnification is best. Even for games.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
(LMT) Lewis Machine & Tool 11.5" M-LOK, MARS'L, Enhanced Bolt, Aimpoint Micro T-2
LMT's are getting harder to find. I heard it's because they picked up some large foreign government contract. Quality firearms. Hopefully my next AR.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I think a 14.5" to 16" barrel is the best compromise. It is short enough to move in small spaces and long enough to keep the lightweight bullet going fast enough to do its job beyond 200 yards.

Mid-length gas system seems to be the best way to go, but I have too much carbine-length gas systems to change now.

LPVO is a great choice if you have some wide open spaces, but a red dot and magnifier is better if most of your shooting is likely to be close ranged.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts