close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the Best GPS

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rick458, Apr 30, 2012.

1. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

I am in the market for a new GPS for my MDX.
    I bought a Garmin Nuvi 256 (?) and I like it pretty good
    But have heard Tom Toms do better with Boolean searches
    and streets with multiple names
    Whatcha Got how do you like it?

2. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I own a Garmin Nuvi - a 256 I think. I've also used one of their older models and both worked well.

I've heard Tomtom sucks from a couple of people but I've never used one.

I've also used Magellan prefer the Garmin.

3. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I have a Garmin 1350lmt and like it. I've always thought Garmin's have better displays and more intuitive interfaces. TomToms are supposed to be more customizable if that matters to you.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. truetopath

truetopath

I had a Tom Tom and got lost 3/10 times. I then got a Garmin Nuvi, not sure which model and it's been 100% reliable. I spend most of my workday in my car in "lovely" parts of town so reliability is a huge factor. I highly reccommend the Garmin Nuvi.

5. droidfire

droidfire

I got rid of my garmin when I got used to using my Android.

On-network the amount of extra information and how up-to-date google maps is, as well as responsive and easy to use is astonishing.

Off network I have a ton of maps on my sdcard for both roads and topographical so I don't need a data connection. There are some fantastic offline maps apps for Android, just need to download your own maps.

Google can cache a certain amount of maps for offline use, but it's not something i'd rely on as much as treat as a supplement to the real offline maps i've got.

Sucks down battery much quicker then a standalone GPS, but has much more and better pocket charging/battery swapping options then a standalone GPS.

A tiny hikers GPS is still the best thing for hiking out in the middle of nowhere.

Aside from some extreme 'out there over yonder' on foot situations, i'll take a recent Android device over a standalone GPS without a second thought anytime.

I doubt many here will agree with me, and some probably don't even realize the GPS works whether you are on network or not.

6. itstime

itstime

Garmin for me. Always worked so never wanted to try another.

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

When using Google maps to navigate I have to have a data connection. I have a Droid X what are you doing differently?

OP. I prefer Garmin however I ran into some trouble with the last Nuvi with lifetime maps and traffic. Whenever I updated to the 2012 maps the unit would lock up. It took three exchanges before I got on that didn't have that glitch.

TomTom doesn't even rate compared to a working Garmin.

I've also used a Magellan which was ok.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have a Garmin that isn't too old... but if I need something, I love my Android DROID X. Big screen (4.3" which is larger than many GPS), great interface.

They make mounts for them that you can use in your car just like you would mount a GPS. Two birds with one stone.

I just bought a mount for mine that will work on my motorcycle. I also use my phone as my MP3 player, it can play my music (using aux out and aux in cable on my Harley) AND do GPS at the same time. Get out.

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I like the Garmin I got at Cabela's for my visa points.
    What I would recomend is make sure you get lifetime maps, AND the cable to connect to computer to download updates.
    I have a few places it says "Get on a road" and I am on divided highway. :) (that have been under construction for yrs,finally opened last month)
    I did like my phone VZ navigator. Excellent for long distance travel. (as long as you had data connect) Yes it worked even without service on what was downloaded. BUT if you did anything. (exit for gas, use it to check gas prices, hotel, food...) it would go dark until it found connection again.

10. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

My Tom Tom has always been reliable.

11. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

The best GPS I ever had were my ex-wives... they always told me exactly where to go. (The exceptionally loud volume was a bit annoying however. :whistling:)

Jack

12. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Garmon Nuvi refurbs. I have one in each of my 4wheelers and 1 on my Goldwing. Inexpensive and full warranties and an intial map upgrade. Works for me.

13. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Tom Tom - puke

Garmon - love it

RC

14. eruby

eruby

Google POI Factory.

Join and post for a few weeks and you can then download the red light and speed camera locations (if you live in a state that has these monsters).

You can also pay a fee to join POI Factory and download the cameras asap.

Get a Garmin that speaks the street names. My crappy old one just says "turn right".

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  15. dango

dango

I agree , Garmin !

16. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

My Garmin etrex Legend has been excellent for multiple purposes. Everything from military grid coordinates overseas to navigating to civilian locations back here in the States. No complaints.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I have a few friends that are TomTom fans. I got one for the spousical-unit for Christmas. I dislike it. Interface isn't as intuitive as Garmin. And I was surprised at that since Garmin is very ex-mil, we don't need to be friendly to blow s-word up, bare-bones.

Maybe after my 3rd Garmin device, I'm just used to it, but I disliked the TomTom.

I need a new one in my car. I'm due for updates from about 4-5 years ago, but that's just not worth it vs. buying a new one. I'm not looking forward to re-entering all of my waypoints. I must have 50 or so of em. (Mostly clients' houses. So I can go from A to B via the shortest route. The first day I took my old 4lb, sandbagged-mount, Garmin out 10 years ago, I saved the $600 price tag in one trip by realizing I was closer than I ever thought to some places.)

BUT, a have friends that SWEAR by TomTom. TT didn't exist here when I got my first one a decade ago. It was Magellan and Garmin. The unit I wanted was disco'd so I got a discount on an equivalent Garmin by BestBuy. :)

18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

It's very easy to copy your waypoint folder to the new unit. I've done it several times.

19. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Magellan sux:

Three blotchy spots of dead pixels on the screen.
    Colors wash out in sunlight.
    Insists on you returning to the route it wants, instead of calculating a new one from where you are.... :frown:

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

My Nuvi 200 (had to go look it up - circa 2007) does that, too. It sometimes is SURE I want to go back rather than forward.

To some extent, I can understand it. But sometimes, turning around and going back 5 miles to save 15 is not worth it. I've had it WANT to turn me around on a highway for 10 miles to save less than 20 miles. So it was already beyond point-of-no-return in mileage alone. (And some of that mileage was DRIVING THROUGH DOWNTOWN BOSTON.)

I just ordered a Garmin 40LM. It was $30 more than the maps would have cost on my old 200. For $30, I'll get at least a few map updates. (Lifetime is a relative term to Garmin.)

Now I HAVE to find out how to copy all my waypoints. :)