Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering what is the BEST 10mm glock for hunting and self defense purposes? also, does anyone know what is a great red dot scope for a glock and what mount do i need to get it to successfully fit? All help is welcome! thank you.

·
Banned
324 Posts
Well, Glock only makes four 10mm pistols. Two are fairly easy to conceal, based on size. Pick slim and relative light, or fat and heavy. Both are quite concealable - one a little more than the other. The other two Glocks are more challenging, but still quite possible, with the right holster and sensible clothing. All of the specifications are easily found on Glock.com. Welcome to GlockTalk, which, for the most part has absolutely nothing to do with Glocks. :supergrin:

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Glock makes five 10mm pistols:

Gen3 - G20SF, G29SF (See note)
Gen4 - G20, G29, G40MOS

Note: Since October 2017, most new-stock Gen3 pistols sold anywhere in the USA are packaged to be "California Compliant" and thus are provided with magazines limited to 10 rounds or less.

An OEM 6.0-inch "hunting" barrel is available for the G20SF and the Gen4 G20.

The G40 is the best weapon, from a performance standpoint. Only you can decide if it is too large. It is the only 10mm model that comes standard with the MINUS connector. It also comes with flimsy polymer adjustable rear sights, so those must be replaced.

As a bonus, all 10mm Glocks are made in Austria.

Reactions: hrt4me and WeeWilly

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Glock makes five 10mm pistols:

Gen3 - G20SF, G29SF (See note)
Gen4 - G20, G29, G40MOS

Note: Since October 2017, most new-stock Gen3 pistols sold anywhere in the USA are packaged to be "California Compliant" and thus are provided with magazines limited to 10 rounds or less.

An OEM 6.0-inch "hunting" barrel is available for the G20SF and the Gen4 G20.

The G40 is the best weapon, from a performance standpoint. Only you can decide if it is too large. It is the only 10mm model that comes standard with the MINUS connector. It also comes with flimsy polymer adjustable rear sights, so those must be replaced.

As a bonus, all 10mm Glocks are made in Austria.
I agree and with the MOS, you can mount a dot (not that I would),

·
Captain USN ret.
572 Posts
For hunting and woods self-defense/bear defense, I agree that a G40 is a clear choice, second would be a G20 with 6" barrel. Colorado requires minimum 550 ft-lbs energy at 50 yds for legal big game handgun hunting. Glock OEM 6" barrel will just meet game regs using 200gr/1200fps rounds.

I have a friend that shoots 6" BR groups at 100 yds using a G20 w/ 6" KKM barrel, Trijicon RMR sight, and Underwood ammo.

My choice was a Vortex Venom 3MOA red dot, which I am very satisfied with, both with performance and accuracy.

The G40 is my home self-defense using 150gr JHP. However, I just can't see packing a Full-Size 10mm for EDC unless you are a really large person.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I could have gotten either the G40 or G29 but opted for the Glock 20SF. In the back country of Colorado and Wyoming and Montana, I carry DT 200gr Hard Cast (1300fps / 750 ft. lbs. muzzle - Glock 20). In the city and home defense, I use Hornady 175gr JHP Critical Duty. Also a spare mag of Underwood 165gr JHP Gold Dot.

Be sure to try each and every type of ammo through a Glock 10mm because they are particular, especially with the 200gr and 220 gr Hard Cast rounds.

Enjoy whatever you get!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a G40 MOS, a G20SF, and a 6" KKM Precision 10mm barrel. On the G40 MOS, I have a Vortex Razor red dot, with a 3 MOA dot. Hunting is easy, the G40 MOS is the best pistol, although my G20SF, with the KKM barrel gives up nothing to the G40, except the red dot helps tighten up the groups at distance. The G40 is the softest of the two, for recoil, so if you plan on needing a faster follow-up shot, then the G40 also has the edge. As for mounting hardware, my G40 came with the mounting plate that fit the Vortex.

For self defense, I carry my G20SF, with the factory barrel, loaded with 180 gr. XTPs leaving the muzzle at 1250 FPS. It will leave a mark, and one will want to have a good grip technique, to do double taps. The only time I carry the G20SF, is in the woods, or at my hunting cabin. No need for that kind of penetration, in civilization, for most situations. My EDC is a G27.4 in civilization, and my BUG in the woods.

I know one has to start somewhere, but having both, is nice.

Squeeze

·
20,725 Posts
G20. More compact and faster on the draw than the G40. greater capacity and longer sight radius and better velocity than the G 29. You can even add a 6 inch barrel and it will still be more compact than the G40 but the loner barrel will give more velocity.

I had a 6 inch barrel in mine (a G20SF) but didn't like the way it felt so I cut it to 5 inches and now it's perfect. I like how it looks, And it fits in the same holster as it did with the factory barrel and balances the same as the stock barrel and I still get some velocity gain. I like the Underwood 220 grain hardcast flatnose as my woods carry ammo.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
This is what I did, took my Gen 3 Glock 20 that I use for CCW sometimes. bought a Storm Lake 6 inch barrel. That way I can have the standard barrel for CCW and the long barrel for hiking. I didn't mount any optics as I always shoot iron sights, but I did mount High Vis sights. I was easily hitting a 18 inch gong at 200 yards, FWIW. but you might look at the G40, that way you already have everything except the right holster. for the woods I load it with double Tap Beartooth.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Reactions: Krugerand

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
I could have gotten either the G40 or G29 but opted for the Glock 20SF. In the back country of Colorado and Wyoming and Montana, I carry DT 200gr Hard Cast (1300fps / 750 ft. lbs. muzzle - Glock 20). In the city and home defense, I use Hornady 175gr JHP Critical Duty. Also a spare mag of Underwood 165gr JHP Gold Dot.

Be sure to try each and every type of ammo through a Glock 10mm because they are particular, especially with the 200gr and 220 gr Hard Cast rounds.

Enjoy whatever you get!
This. I have had all of the 10mm Glocks at one point and the G20SF is the only one I have kept.

Reactions: Climb14er

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Well, since you want it for both CC and a woods gun, I’d go to the middle and get the G20.4
That’s what I did...
Wait, no I didn’t. I went with 29 because I’ve tried CC the 20 before, and it wasn’t for me. I’m sure it can be (and is) done but it was just too big/heavy for me to carry comfortably.
I settled on the 29 because I can actually carry it and it still shoots with enough velocity for me to be comfortable.
And, as someone mentioned, you can drop a longer barrel in if it you want.
But, you’d have to get it milled for to put a dot in it. Personally I don’t want a dot in my CC piece. A laser maybe, but not a dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: John Wesley
1 - 20 of 43 Posts