What is the best camera?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsCallahan318, Jul 17, 2007.

1. MrsCallahan318

MrsCallahan318 Guest

Which camera is best served for portrait and scenic photography? I do a little bit of everything and am fairly new at all of this. I would like a new camera, but don't know quite what to get.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Do you want a point and shoot, advanced features on a point and shoot, or a SLR? If SLR, do you already have lenses that you want to keep using? How much experience/time/patience do you have to learn a new camera/system (if you go with SLR)?

Asking what kind of camera we recommend is like asking for our opinions on "a vehicle." You gotta narrow it down a little :wavey:

3. MrsCallahan318

MrsCallahan318 Guest

I have been playing with my Cannon Power Shot G6 since December of 2004... I think it is a 'point and shoot with extra features' but please correct me if I am wrong. It does have the ablility to change lense though so would that be considered an SLR? I love taking pictures... I have a gallery online at http://mommy07.deviantart.com/gallery/
    If you want to see what i have done. I could use some help in the photography area. I've done some senior photos for friends but other than that it is just for my pleasure. I would like to do more outside work though. That is why I am asking. I have plenty of time to 'play' with a new camera... preferably an SLR since (if mine is not) I don't have one. I don't have any lenses but would like to get some once I find a camera that is really good quality.

4. Mr. PC

Mr. PC Guest

MrsCallahan318, I looked at your pics, they are really good. Bright, clear, in focus, no noise. If a G6 can do that, I want one now. Mmkay? Are you editing those pics before your post them online?

5. MrsCallahan318

MrsCallahan318 Guest

Some yes but mostly cropping... the only one on there that I made some minor changes to the shading or lack there of was the sunset w/ the large rock. I love my camera, but it doesn't have the versitility that i would prefer (ie lenses, filters, etc.)

6. MrsCallahan318

MrsCallahan318 Guest

I have some photo editing programs I love, but the 'good' pictures are mainly cropped.

7. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Portraits? A nice Rolliflex TLR.

Scenic? 4X5 view camera. Tachihara or the like.

Or just get a Nikon D40. :supergrin:

The best camera is the one you get out and use!

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Nope. A SLR is a different animal: you look thru the lens to focus (no screen available on a dSLR for this)and a few more other little things. That is the biggie and a lot of people don't understand who buy a dSLR then can't figure out how to use the display to compose a shot. When they found out they are even more lost :shocked:

I don't think you need much help with what you are shooting. What you need is practice. It all looks pretty good to me. :)

If you decide to go the dSLR route, consider that you are buying into a SYSTEM and not just a camera. Look at the lens offered because the heart of your system is the lenses. Bodies come and go but great lens last. If you go Canon now, you want to plan on sticking with them from now on, or Nikon or whomever because of the lenses.

The biggest thing to look for in a PnS is the OPTICAL zoom. Ignore the digital zoom---you can do that later yourself and get better results. MP count is not everything. Generally, the higher the number the better but each sensor has properties that go further determining the quality of the pics than just the MP count itself.

9. General Sherman

General Sherman Guest

I own a G5, G7 and Nikon SLR.

To really learn to use the G6 takes time. It is a fantastic camera capable of photojournalism, nature, studio, portraits, wedding photography (with external flash), travel, family gatherings and so on.

It has filters available for it using the converter.

It is more camera than an experienced photographer can learn in a year. It is small and deceptive like the F-22 fighter.

In summary stick with it.

The DSLRs are really a lens system as mentioned above so you look at your lens selection first and then pick up a body or two.

10. MrsCallahan318

MrsCallahan318 Guest

I love my G6 but would like to be able to do more. We (my hubby and I) looked at filters and stuff for it and then decided to go with an DSLR we first though about getting a Nikon D40 but talking further with a friend of mine she convinced us that a canon would be better so it looks as though we may be going with the Canon Rebel XTI. We are going to get a nice lens package with it....I am pretty excited. Thank you, all of you for your help.

11. Eddie C.

Eddie C. CLM

I have loved photography for a long time now. I am just getting into digital photography. I had a Nikon F4 and a Nikon F5. I am leaning towards the Nikon D40/D80/or D200 right now. I love the Nikkor lenses. I think they are the best they make. Canon is real good too. You won't go wrong no matter which one you pick from those two.

An SLR system is an investment. The lenses are the meat of the investment. Like misskitty says, good lenses are forever. You may change or upgrade the body, just get good lenses.

I'll never for the life of me understand why some folks will spend $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 or more, on a Nikon or Canon camera body and then buy Tamron or Sigma lenses.
    :brickwall: :crazy: :holysheep: :headscratch:

That's like buying a Laborghini and then putting retread tires on it.

12. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

13. Eddie C.

Eddie C. CLM

14. fellow14

fellow14 The Member

Some of them are real performers. You just gotta do your research.

15. Eddie C.

Eddie C. CLM

I understand that. I personally don't think the Tamron's and Sigma's stack up against the Nikkor and Canon line of lenses. Sure you can take a good photo with them, but for all the idiosyncrasies and nuance's of each camera, you should have the lenses dedicated to that camera. Tamron's and Sigma's fall far short of the Nikkor and Canon qualities.

Most people taking pictures won't really notice, or if they do, won't really care. For people that KNOW photography, almost all agree you can't do better than use the quality name brand lenses that belong to the Nikon and Canon camera line.

16. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Perhaps, but as one of my links shows, there are individual lenses in Sigma's (or Tamron's) lineups that are truly outstanding. Sigma's 150mm macro is a great lens that well matches or outperforms Canon's or Nikon's offerings. While they may not representative of the entire brand, they are worth researching.

17. fellow14

fellow14 The Member

In addition to that, there are some of the low end Canon lenses that are turds. I guess the part that always got me on the sigma's/tamron's is they aren't significantly cheaper. If you want to be the generic and sell your product, you need to do what the other brand does, but at a better price. As with anything there are exceptions, but I've yet to find and instance where tamron/sigma had a lens that I was looking for, for significantly less than the comparable canon lens. So I default back to the known quantity. Maybe I'm missing their intended point.

18. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Sigma 150mm macro is one of the examples where the nearest equivalent (above 100mm) from either Canon or Nikon are significantly more expensive:

Sigma 150mm macro - $560
    Canon 180mm macro - $1,200
    Nikon 200mm macro - $950

All of the above lenses are of outstanding quality and reputation (with Nikon being perhaps even somewhat legendary).

19. Eddie C.

Eddie C. CLM

....and I thought the gun hobby was expensive....:faint:

20. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you stick with digital, you don't have to keep feeding! ;)

I have licensed some pics so at least this hobby shows some hope for paying for itself some day. :)

I also got lucky. I received a darkroom or I would never have gotten the opportunity to for film :hearts: