Home > Serving America > Cop Talk > What is that whiz bang AA flashlight?

What is that whiz bang AA flashlight?

1. I know I remember reading about a AA LED flashlight that came out a while back that is bright as ****.

It was a single AA or maybe a 2 cell AA light.

I need an idea for all my lazy detectives who won't or don't carry a 123 light because they are too big in the pocket of their Dockers and 123s are too pricey.

:upeyes:

2. AA Maglight.......

Geeze.......

3. I would be interested too......

4. Streamlight Strion pretty darn good light, and its rechargeable so no batteries to replace.

5. Its the Nitecore SENS AA.

$25-30 and 100 lumens. We have cases of AA batteries and it is small bright amd cheap.

6. While that is a good light it will be too big for what the OP is looking for. I work plain clothes and I found that the only "small" pocket size light that is decent is the ProTac model.

7. The new LED mini-mags are stupid bright. 3 watt LED powered by 2 AA batteries, it's as bright as a 2 D-cell maglight.

8. This is one for $5.85

I have bought 6 and very pleased.

9. I have a 5.11 ATAC A1 light, 1AA battery, 103 lumens, high low and strobe settings.

$49 list, I got it for free with some other 5.11 stuff.

It's pretty nicely built.

10. Fenix makes one also can't remember the model.

11. I have a streamlight protac 2 aa and I love it.

The holder it comes with leaves much to be desired. Anybody got any recommendations?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. second time I am recommending this light tonight in 2 different forums

but here it is

I have one of these and it has been great. I use it for work and keep it in a tactical tailor pistol mag pouch. single AA battery and quite bright. I have dropped it banged stuff with it and it keeps on running. All aluminum construction with O-rings

and you can get one for $35 from countycomm.com

click on image

[​IMG]

13. I bought a few of the little single AA Romisen RC-G2 III R5 for $15 a pop. Fast shipping and very small and light. It replaced my Fenix PD30 as my daily light. I have rechargeable AA's going at all times at home so I never worry about not having a battery for this thing.

14. I got a Rayovac Roughneck flashlight. It's about $21, 3x AAA, 200 Lumens, 70 Lumens (on low) and a strobe.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-RNT3AAA-B-Roughneck-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B003D7LHMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360676252&sr=8-1&keywords=rayovac+flashlight"]Rayovac RNT3AAA-B Roughneck 200 Lumen Metal Flashlight with Batteries and Holster - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@31SWRI7SodL[/ame]

15. I like this one. It's my EDC. Fits in my jeans pocket and I don't even know it is there. It takes just a standard AA battery but get the 14500 battery for the brightest light. Some have a 3-way switch, alas mine doesn't. Got mine for under $6 but it came from Hong Kong and took about a month to get here. Here's the link, HTH.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BBQbuy-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360682668&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+cree+led+flashlight"][email protected] 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51XSE1G5XGL[/ame]

16. I received an LED Lenser V2 for Christmas, uses 3 AAA's, it's a backup light around the house and I still haven't replaced the batteries in ~2 months. Has three modes IIRC: bright, stupid bright, and flashing red.

Here are all their pocket flashlight models with a good breakdown on each:
    http://www.ledlenser.com/family/Flashlights/Pocket-Size

You meant to have a link in there I assume?

17. This is a re-post of my post in another forum but it may help...
    I'm not trying to be cheap...just practical-so here goes. The Maglight XL50 is awesome. I use it every day. It runs on AAA batteries which makes it cheap to run. I wanted a good LED light without the expensive lithium batteries. As far as brightness, It's just a bright as my issued Pelican 7060 (as well as far less expensive). Last time we had night quals, I used both and compared them. The beam focus is about the same on both. The XL50 is half the size, has a low power and strobe option, and is $30.00! I notice quite a few of the "tacticool" flashlights have that ring close to the end to assist with the shooting grip. You can do the same with the XL50 as well as any other light using RUBBER BANDS-and they don't slip. During the night quals, all the light nerds were coming over to me and playing 20 questions. I thought it was hilarious that none of them had used or heard of the XL50-yet it outperformed all of their tacticool lights. The last question all of them asked was where can I get it. My reply stunned them-Wal-Mart! I've dropped it on the concrete quite a bit and it's still running so it seems to be quite durable.

photo (4).JPG

18. I saw this at SHOT and was impressed with sturdiness & brightness.

19. That Maglight XL50 is great little light. I carry one and love the little sucker. Another brand that I have had great luck with is LED Lenser. I have three of their lights for different things. One I carry when I'm on patrol at night. All of them run on either AA or AAA batteries. One I had mounted on my AR as a weapon light and it held up great for a couple of years.

20. Darn you. Darn you all to heck.

As a recovering flashlight junkie, this thread has been very bad for me.

If you will excuse me, I am off to Amazon. :whistling:

21. Did you see our thread about boots and knives?

22. Sigh.......you too?/!

23. Had to stop going to the Candlepower forums.

24. AAA but I carry this every day. Easier to carry then a pocket knife. 28 lumens.

[​IMG]

25. I am surrounded by flashlights. Desk drawer, book shelf, 2 in my laptop bag, car, bedside table, end table, etc. If flashlights ever rebel against their human masters, I will be an early casualty.

This is the one I have in my pocket everyday.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/4Sevens-Foursevens-Black-Finish-Lumens/dp/B007JMEGUC/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1360802066&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=foursevens+mini"]Amazon.com: 4Sevens/Foursevens Mini CR2/ MLR2 Black Finish / Cool White LED; 1XCR2; 180 Lumens: Camera & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@412LQwnP7gL[/ame]

Had it since July and it has been great. Finish is taking a beating rolling around with keys, change, etc but light still works like it did day one.

They also make an AA version.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/4Sevens-Foursevens-Black-Finish-Lumens/dp/B007JM89OQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1360802047&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=foursevens+mini+aa"]Amazon.com: 4Sevens/Foursevens Mini AA/ MA Black Finish / Cool White LED; 1XAA; 90 Lumens: Camera & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41oReSN476L[/ame]

26. Fenix ld20 120 lumens with strobe. I think I had it with me when I was there, not sure if I showed you my "flashlight" though....

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

27. I just ran across an OLight single 123A that's supposedly 180 lum and only 2.5" long. I'm going to snag it and see how it does.

Edit: Right after I ordered the Olight I saw a Klarus PC1 that looked even better at 245 lum on a single 123A so I bought that instead. $30 instead of $25 but brighter and looks more solid. Also about an inch longer than the Olight at 3.5". Still pretty small. Specs:

Specifications for Klarus P1C LED Flashlight - 245 Lumen, 1x CR123A, Dual Mode:
    Emitter: Cree XP-G R5 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
    Max output: 245 AISI Lumens/ 1hr
    Low output: 20 Lumens/ 18 hrs.
    Working Voltage: 1.8V - 3.2V
    Battery: 1pc CR123A
    Switch: Tactical tail switches power on/ off and momentary activation.
    Modes: Rotating heads adjust brightness output - tighten head for max, loosen for low
    Lens: Toughened ultra-clear glass.
    Material: Aircraft grade aluminum with Military Grade HA Type III anodizing.
    Reflector: Textured reflector for smooth beam.
    Dimensions: 89mm (Length) x 23mm (Head) x 22.6mm (Body)
    Net weight: 54g (Excluding battery).

Features of Klarus P1C LED Flashlight - 245 Lumen, 1x CR123A, Dual Mode:
    Max output: 245 Lumens
    Max run time: 18 hours
    Two output modes and easy operation
    Forward tactical switch with momentary activation
    Clip for hands-free operation
    Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
    Smooth beam - perfect balance of beam throw and spill
    Military Grade HA Type III anodizing
    Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
    Reverse polarity protection

I'll post a review once I have it in hand.

28. The lumen rating on klarus and all the Chinese lights are crap. I wouldn't put much stock into the number. Unless they are measured using ANSI like surefire, streamlight and foursevens the lumens are basically made up.

29. Nice, I just noticed in the specs it's "245 AISI Lumens" typo or chicom BS for "stupid American"?? It also says "Military Grade" on the package so that may very well be the kiss of death.

I did see a video on YouTube where a guy named 'One eyed Patriot" (should I trust a flashlight review from a guy with one eye??) dunked it in Gatorade while it was running and it didn't explode. That may come in handy if I ever coach a superbowl team and win.

Oh well, I'm in $30 so I guess I'll see when it gets here.

30. Handed those out at Christmas to the department one year. Used it as an excuse to get me another light.

31. I think its pretty impressive for 1AAA battery. High quality too.

Not a primary by any means, but its a good light to clip on your pocket as a back up.

32. Oooooohhhhhhh son! The name my wife is calling you. Tsk tsk tsk. Just for bringing this cool thing to my attention.:supergrin:

33. I played with it in the woods with my other new light [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights-RC10R5BK-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B007VDX8L2"]Amazon.com: Fenix RC10 Rechargeable Flashlight: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@31bUjpOamLL[/ame]

It does not have serious distance, but it fills what it hits.

The RC10, on the other hand, will bring daylight to the top of a grain elevator from the ground from ~100yds away.

34. Well, I've had this light for a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty impressed. It's as bright as my Wolf Eyes duty light and only uses one CR123. I took it into work over the weekend and it was as bright/brighter than anyone's primary light.

I'll see how it holds up, but for $30 I'm pretty happy. As far as the beam, it's whiter than my Wolf Eyes, is about as broad and doesn't have a very well defined hot spot, just gradually goes from bright to dim on the edges. Throw isn't quite as long but again an excellent pocket/EDC/plain clothes light IMO, especially for the price.