close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is on your Thumb Drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by alibaba, Apr 8, 2006.

1. alibaba

alibaba Libertarian

I have noticed that a lot of professional geeks are not carrying around the USB thumb/flash drives for computer repair. I bought a 1 gb drive and have been stocking with the programs I would use to repair PCs. I am curious for those of you that carry one what do you have on it? Here is what I have:

Malware Removal Folder
    1. Sound, Video and NIC drivers for all of my computers at work because I am reformatting like 1 a week
    2. Install files for firefox and the flash plugin
    3. Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    4. Ad-Aware
    5. Spybot S&D
    6. Mousetrap (GRC.com's Windows Metafile exploit tester)
    7. A text file called "$sys$cancry", because the Sony DRM rootkit will hide any file with the prefix $sys$, and miners used to use canaries to test the air in mines.
    8. Zonealarm Free version
    9. FreeAVG (don't use it anymore because it quarentined a system file :upeyes:)
    10. Winsock XP fix

11. Guide on removing "Spyware Quake"

Fun Stuff

Audio and Video
    1. Divx Codecs
    2. Quicktime
    3. Winamp

Gaming
    1. Teamspeak
    2. Xfire

IM
    1. Yahoo Instant Messenger
    2. AIM

Networking
    1. Hamachi
    2. TightVNC

P2P
    1. Limewire
    2. Bit Tourent
    3. Peer Guardian

VOIP
    1. GoogleTalk
    2. Skype

Network Analysis
    1. Cain and Abel
    2. Ethereal

Forgot to add that I have a list of all of my WPA, logins and passwords and CD Keys for my software that are encrypted with a portable program called folder lock.

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Nice list. You have everything I do I think and a few that I don't. I keep a CD for systems I build and put the following on them:

Ad-Aware
    Spybot
    AVG
    Itunes
    A couple of games
    Acrobat Reader
    Yahoo Messenger (if requested)
    DirectX

3. alibaba

alibaba Libertarian

That was my idea, have everyone post their list so I can see what I don't have.

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Pretty much a simular fare plus I added Gibson's tools from GRC.com too. I won't use bitt Tourent, I don't wish to share anything on my PCs. ;)

5. alibaba

alibaba Libertarian

I have all of Steve's free stuff and I personally use bit torrent but some friends do.

6. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Hmmm...

Looks like you need defilerpack and Media Player Classic, which eliminate the need for the horrible Quicktime applet and worse Real Player.

CPU-Z is handy and SiSoft Sandra is good for doing burn-ins. Format the drive to be bootable and you can run memtest and BIOS upgrades on USB bootable PCs. I've found running Prime95 and one of the 3Dmarks can force otherwise random bugs to show up reliably.

Setting up for IMs you should probably have MSN's and Trillian.

Brilliant yet simple scanner for the Sony malware, but if you're worried about rootkits, then why not carry Rootkitrevealer?

Service pack 2 (and/or 2k sp4) would be nice to have, but are of course HUGE.

AngryIP is good to have, but presumably Ethereal or C&A can do quick network sweeps, I've never used them.

7. alibaba

alibaba Libertarian

Only reason I use QT is for the .mov player, I don't think winamp will play them. As far as real player, I wouldn't even use that crap.

What do you mean "burn-ins", I do have CPU-Z but have no idea what it does. I do have another drive formated to boot up a live version of Damn Small Linux, its only 54 mb

Downloading trillian now.

I can't take credit for it, I heard in on the "Security Now!" podcast, if you are into computers and want a podcast that is actually done in "geek" language GET THIS! I have been meaning to pick up a copy of rootkitreveler, I have a knoppix book that lets you customize a live distro with everything you need and the way I understand rootkits this would be a better way of scanning for them.

Where can I get a .exe copy of SP2? I have seen it in the past but is it something I am going to have to get on limewire or is it avalible publicly?

I will check out angryIP, C&A is more of a "hacker" tool, it will rips apart packets looking for user names and passwords, will even crack VOIP conversations. Most anti-virus software will tag it as a virus.

8. HAVOC

The defilerpack and MPC will handle Quicktime and Real. MPC is also a lot simpler and cleaner than Winamp. It looks all the world like Windows Media Player 6.4, but is less bloated and more capable. Defilerpack is just a bunch of codecs that will work with most any player, even WMP.

Burn-in is running the system (CPU, RAM, video, drives) to the stops to see if anything fails.

A small Linux distro can be handy, but DOS is quicker for some things, and I'm not sure memtest or most BIOS flashers will tolerate even Linux.

SP2 Redistributable. All 266MB of it.

AngryIP is just a sweeper. It throws out pings and queries to see who's alive on a network segment.

9. HAVOC

Oh, and CPU-Z just gives you some basic, but useful, information about the core system, CPU, RAM, mobo. Sandra provides far more information, as well as benchmarking and burn-in.

10. alibaba

alibaba Libertarian

Thanks, what do you do for a living?

11. HAVOC

Heh... I have one of those jobs that gets little but blank stares from anyone not in the business or closely related fields. I'm an Energy Management Application Engineer. Because of my knowledge and personal interest in computers, I'm also the de facto computer guy.

12. alibaba

alibaba Libertarian

I understand that, saves the company $150-$300 an hour for a "real" geek to come out.

13. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Heh, forgot about CPU-Z, SiSoft Sandra and I have a SP2 disk I use also.

14. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

I have a bunch, but my most used are:
    PortableThunderbird
    PortableFirefox
    Tunnelier (SSH access to my home computer)
    RegCool (registry editing)
    A43 File Manager

15. frefoo

frefoo

Putty SSH with needed keys (to your home server) is also a must have.