close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is Mother of Pearl? How is it used in grips?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Menehune, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Menehune

Menehune

I was looking through some grips and was thinking of getting some "show grips" for a couple of my guns, "BBQ" guns as they are.

I saw some mother of pearl and thought that they might look good on a polished stainless gun. Then it hit me, "what are they made of?" I know there is fake MoP, but real MoP.

I always thought it was the inner layer of mollusk shells. Being that, i would think it is rather thin. So, what are gun grips that are MoP made of? Is it a layer of MoP over another material? or many layers built up?

Thanks -Kirt

2. PBCounty

PBCounty

Crystallized urine of Chuck Norris.

3. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Hooah, Hooah.

No, that's "Father of Pearl".

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

It's "nacre" which is basically the same thing pearls are composed from. The mollusk or oyster forms the layers to protect itself from an irritant. My guess would be that the bigger the host is, the bigger the MOP is.

I make jewelry and use MOP and pearls (my favorites are the baroque and oddly shaped "deformed" pearls for their character) and have often wondered about MOP, too. From what I've read, it's similar to pearls as far as sources go but I've never ran across anything that says how big it can grow (such as a set of grips being composed of a single piece vs several pieces).