What is it with Women and Mechanics?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by captainstormy, Apr 24, 2012.

1. captainstormy

captainstormy

So, in my 10 years or so I've lived in Columbus I've searched long and hard for good mechanics.

I'm not what you would call a car guy, or a gear head. But I know whats going on under a hood and with all the systems of my cars fairly well. I was actually considering making a career of being a mechanic, but after conversations with my grandfather (who taught me, and was a mechanic for a long time) I decided to go into IT instead.

I do as much as I can on my truck and her jeep, but I don't have the place or equipment to do alot of work.

Anyway, the Fiancee needed some front brake work. I told her to go to my guy. He quoted her 180 for doing the front brakes, including turning/machining the existing rotors.

She calls me from work, all mad because he called her and told her that if she wanted her brakes fixed that it would be more like 385ish.

Several reasons for that. For one, she needed new rotors. Which I told her she would, but she didn't believe me. Also, the rear brakes were bad (which I also told her) and would need work. She thinks the rear brakes should have been fine because they were done "recently".

By recently, she means 2-3 years ago. I don't know exactly when, but it was done by a coworker's husband at an old job. Actually it was 2 jobs ago.

I just don't get why she (and it isn't just her, its many women I know) can't understand that there are often unseen, unexpected issues with car repairs.

She really feels like she is getting ripped off because the original estimate was for about half of what it's going to cost her. Even though he explained that he hadn't gotten a chance to really look at things yet and that was just the cost for the front brakes and turning/grinding the existing rotors.

This certainly isn't the first time. She went in to get a power steering pump replaced once, and was mad for months and months because she believed that a squeak in her serpentine belt wasn't there before he did that work. Even though I had told her about it several times before that work was done.

I don't know what it is, but every time that some work is done on her Jeep she feels like she is getting ripped off.

Sorry, mainly I had to vent. I doubt there is really any solution. After the wedding I'm just going to take auto care/maintenance upon myself and cut her out of that loop. She will be happier that way and so will I.

And since this is GT, no I'm not calling off the wedding :tongueout:

2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I run a fleet of cars for a bunch of females....

I know what you mean...

They basically just want to drive, and don't want to know what's involved to keep 'em running...

...But they are under the impression it's all very minor .... :freak:

4. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

This is your first marriage, right? :supergrin:

5. silentpoet

silentpoet

Are her teeth jacked up or have you not tickled her yet?

6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

You say you're mechanical but you don't want to do brakes on a Jeep? They're really easy, disc front. Pull wheel, remove caliper, swap rotor(50$ for the pair) remove and install pads(25-40$ for the pair) and throw it all back together.

You could do it after work before supper for under 100 dollars.

Rear brakes depending on the model may be slightly more difficult, but not much.

7. aircarver

I'm guessing he can't 'turn' rotors, although since they needed replaced, that's easy....

8. Zonny

Zonny

$385.00. Less than a monthly payment (I assume the car is paid for).

Tell her to get over it.

9. captainstormy

captainstormy

Brakes are typically fairly easy. Mainly, its a lack of a place to do the work here in Columbus. I live in an apartment with only street parking, on a fairly busy street.

She has a small condo, but doesn't have a unit with a garage. The condo association doesn't allow mechanical work in parking spaces. The fee for being caught doing it, would be more then paying someone to do the work.

Not happy about living in a condo or having the association. We are planning on living there for about 2 years while we finish paying it off then buying a house outside of an HOA and renting out that condo until one of our parents want to move to the city when they get older.

I also don't have the equipment for resurfacing the rotors. Not a huge issue in and of itself though. I do my brake work on my F-150 when I go back home to Kentucky, I just buy new rotors then.

10. captainstormy

captainstormy

lol, yet it will be.

11. captainstormy

captainstormy

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. The Jeep is a 2002. Long since paid off.

I pretty much told her to get over it. It isn't like the guy knew exactly what needed to be replaced just from watching the car drive onto the lot.

12. captainstormy

captainstormy

I think that is the main issue. To her everything with a car is a minor issue and should be cheap to fix.

She gets it from her mother. Her mother had a car that would no longer go into reverse. She thought a fluid flush would fix that.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  13. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

My in-laws are the same way. My father-in-law passed away a couple of years ago but my MIL is still with us. Now that she's on her own, it falls to me to "take the car to the shop" and what not. She always thinks she's getting ripped off. My FIL was the same way...every time he took the car in he'd call and tell me they were screwing him. Well, they usually weren't but he had to have something to carry on about. Well, I miss him calling...

Some people just think the world is out to get them. I have a co-worker that's the same way...

Greg

14. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

She needs muffler bearings. :whistling:

15. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

If I got a quote for brakes for $400 I would be peeing down my leg with joy.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. smokin762

smokin762

This is why, I refuse to work on other peoples cars.

Just because I replaced the rear shocks as a favor on your car, doesn't mean I caused your water pump to go out.

Women also don't understand, that sometimes we have to make many trips to the home improvment store when working on projects. We don't enjoy all these trips either.

It's not like we all have a van parked in the driveway with everything that we are going to need to do the job. Sometimes we uncover other issues that need to be fixed also.

17. jpa

jpa CLM

The reason she thinks she's always getting ripped off is because as a woman she's been told over and over that mechanics will lie to you, inflate their labor rates, charge you for unnecessary repairs and generally rip you off. All the "investigative reports" and genuine criminals in the auto repair business don't do anything to dispel this impression. Thus, she thinks that if she was quoted $180 and all of a sudden it morphs into a $385 repair bill, the mechanic is screwing her.

18. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I've got a 96 camry that I just replaced the brakes on 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't turn the rotors if they are warped, it'll just make the warp come back again faster this time (at least that's what happened to me).

Anyway, I just bought 2 new rotors and pads and it took me about 3 hours total (waited for paint to dry after painting calipers). The total cost was $141 for good quality front rotors, rotor paint, brake cleaner, that brake pad grease stuff and brake pads.

19. aircarver

Agreed.

But the professional has to get paid, and has to service the overhead of his shop.

20. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Do you have red calipers now?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine