close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is it like having a "winter"?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eurodriver, May 31, 2012.

1. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

For the most part, I've lived my entire life in Florida and Hawaii. Never seen snow, although the coldest temperature I've ever felt was 17*F at the top of Mauna Kea.

I'm just curious what people have to do come January when it starts getting cold.

For example - I have to cut my grass year round. I can take a motorcycle ride or go to the beach for Christmas Eve, and just as many people have BBQs on New Years Eve as Memorial Day.

What changes do you have to make towards the end of the year?

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

It's awesome. I love to watch the changing of the seasons, I love the snow, and it makes me appreciate the summer.

3. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

4. rilkil23

rilkil23

I've been in Colorado my entire life and the winters are fantastic. Kids really look forward to snow days from school and it is a welcome change from the summer heat. Makes driving interesting but I have never had a problem getting around. Waking up to a foot of snow is something everyone should experience. I am in Colorado Springs at the base of Pikes Peak so it can be horrible one minute and then warm up to t shirt weather all in a matter of hours.

5. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

I would counter that with having Hurricane Days are just as fun, and you can't exactly go offshore fishing in Colorado.

Also, your t-shirt weather is probably not our t-shirt weather (80* or higher)

6. rilkil23

rilkil23

You may be right but it's all I got. We have very little water here compared to most parts of the country. I'll invite you over to enjoy some Rocky Mountain Oysters, good stuff.

7. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

You learn to live with it.

The trade off for heating is about the same as for cooling in the summer. The season requires two sets of clothing, one for Summer and one for Winter.

The maintenance from the cold is higher. Frost in the ground requires different construction techniques, more expensive and more durable. Roads and essential services are more costly.

Bugs (termites, deadly biting things) are killed off during the winter here. I'm sure you are familiar with the problem of Termites in Hawaii, we have none.

The farthest North we find Rattlesnakes is about Red Wing, MN, due to the cold.

In my state, the advent of Spring is like a rejuvenation every year. The woods, lakes and wildlife come alive and thrive in the Summer. (so do the people)

It gives you a feeling of new life each time the Seasons change.

I don't like cold, however, I really don't like extreme heat and humidity either.

It does add more "adventure" to common ordinary tasks and travel in the Winter.

Just like everything else, you prepare and adapt.

I couldn't find a better choice for the sunset years of my life, I spent 50 years looking).

I forgot to add:

You haven't lived until you drive a vehicle out a few miles over a frozen lake and stop to fish in 20/30 feet of water. Without snow, it is almost a psychedelic experience. The ice is black without snow.

8. VELO

VELO

There's nothing like the last mow of the season! Usually around middle to end of October here. It's nice to know that you're done with the mower until March.

I cook out all year. It's fun to sit out on the deck with a cold beer or a nice cocktail while bundled up and shooting the breeze with my buddies. I know that probably sounds absolutely crazy to you. :supergrin:

Biggest change for me is to pull down the storage bins with cold weather clothes, empty the bin and fill it with summer stuff.

I really enjoy the change in seasons.

9. Glock2008

Glock2008 Gun User

Nothing changes for me, and I live in one of the coldest areas of the united states. I can't go to the beach like you, because mine freeze. But I have grilled out when it was minus 20 or so :shocked:. Nothing like Ice fishing, cold beer and grilling out on the river in the winter:supergrin:.

10. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Washington, DC area is THE PITS in winter!!

ONE snowflake, and people FREAK OUT!!!
    This term is used, usually when there's 1/2" of snow, around here:
    "Ladies and gentlemen. . . . your attention, please. Abandon your cars, now!"

For the most part, people get STOOPID when it snows. They really don't know how to drive in snow!!!

Summer -
    Hot. Humid. The people are just as STOOPID, it's just hot!

Spring/Fall -
    Gorgeous time of year, here!!
    I dearly love Spring. Fresh air. Sunshine. A slight breeze. Ladies coming out of their bulky, heavy, winter clothes, and the dresses and skirts are getting shorter!!!!!

This saying is appropriate, here -
    "If you don't like the weather, here, just stick around a day or two. It'll change."

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Swimming on Christmas, bike ride on New Years in a thong. Absolutely. C'mon up and try. :rofl:

I've heard in some places, the sun can actually BURN your skin. Is that true?

12. Glock2008

Glock2008 Gun User

lol :whistling:

We may be done with the mower around october, but then it's on to the snowblower.

13. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I was born and raised outside New Orleans, left in 1987, at age 22. I lived 11 wonderful years in Jacksonville, FL.
    Currently, I live in NW Wash Sate.
    To me, winter lasts 10 months, here, but actually we have 2 seasons, Spring and Fall.
    I still do all I can, even if its raining (forever) or snowing. We grill, year 'round. :supergrin:

I was stationed, in CT, with a guy, from Ohio. He had always coplained of the amount of snow, they got, growing up. He was about to get out of the Navy. Someone asked where he was moving to. He said "I'm gonna nail a snow shovel, to the hood of my van and drive south. When someone askes 'what the hell it is', I'll know I've gone far enough."
    I always liked that line. :wavey:

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  14. captainstormy

captainstormy

I like the winter myself. Not really so much for what it is, but for the change of pace. I would get bored with the same weather all the time.

Plus sitting outside by the fire with some drinks, cigars and friends on a cold night is a great time.

15. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I grew up shoveling snow in Pennsylvania. If I never experience snow again, it would be way too soon.

16. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I'll take our long cold winters over our short, hot and humid summers any day.

17. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Six years living in Annapolis, working in Baltimore.

Winter is like physical pain to me. It actually hurts. :supergrin:

18. RMD

RMD

I carry bigger Glocks :)

19. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

I live in Houston, but have lived in Omaha, Poughkeepsie and other Northern areas and can tell you that Winter is great...for about a week.

Shoveling snow and having to put on four layers of clothing just to check the mail can get really old, really quick, and although the Summers in Houston (and Florida) can get nigh unbearable between the heat and the humidity, on the plus side there's a lot to be said for being able to wear short sleeved shirts while doing your Christmas shopping!

20. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I grew up in Wisconsin and have lived in Florida for 25 years.
    I will NEVER live in a state with real winters again if I can help it.

I can deal with it when on vacation, or hunting, but living in it? It's brutal and ridiculous.

Last edited: May 31, 2012