close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is Good SD/HD Ammo?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by brian321, Feb 1, 2010.

1. brian321

brian321

I have always heard to use just regular ammo(FMJ, Not +p) that way if you have to use your weapon it will look better in court(even my CCW instuctor told me that while taking the test) But i keep hearing everybody say use good SD ammo. What exactly are you guys useing and will it look bad in court if you have to use it?

P.S. I personally dont want to get shot with anything(not even a bb gun) So why is SD ammo so much better than Some FMJ from walmart?

2. up1911fan

up1911fan

I like in no particular order, Speer Gold Dot's, Remington Golden Saber's, Winchester SXT's, Hornady XTP's and Federal HST's.

3. bikerdog

bikerdog

if you get a good hollow point round it will expand some time by twice it's size, thus causing far more damage. thats why most choose hollow points over say a full metal jacket. also with high quality SD ammo your less likely to get a bad round.

As far as the legal I've never herd of some 1 loosing a case because they had hollow points instead of FMJ's.

4. LEAD

LEAD

What are you shooting out of, most firearms will be fine with +P 9mm stay away from stuff like 40 +p or .380acp +p. The offerings I prefer currently are Federal HST, Winchester Ranget T or SXT or PDX1, Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dot. Doubletap makes good ammo too. All of these are either all copper hollow points or Jacketed hollow points.

It will look bad in court if you're doing funny stuff to factory ammo, like inserting primers in the hollow cavities, filing down projectiles, filling cavities with poisons or explosives, or if you're doing something that indicates a desire to have armor peiorcing abilities. Really buy any factory ammo and run it stock and you will have more to worry about your actions rather than your ammo, when you go to court.

You should look into a book or website about legalities involved in a justified or other type of shooting. Knowing when and how to use a firearm legally is important and will save you stress and time out of the klink.

5. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

1. FMJ ammo is more likely to pass through an aggressor in a self-defense situation....thereby risking the possibility of hitting someone in the background.
    2. Bullets that stay in the intended target transfer more engergy than those that pass through. (more effectively stopping the threat)
    3. An expanded bullet creates a larger wound. (more effectively stopping the threat)

6. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

First things first, welcome to GT. Now that that's out of the way, and I'm not going to sugarcoat this, but your CCW instructor is a moron. Shootings are either justified or they're not. That's for the police and the courts to decide. While using tricked up ammo (making it armor piercing, cutting it, filling it with poison, etc.) may bring your character and desire for violence into question, using quality factory JHP will be viewed as neither here nor there. There's a reason every LE agency I've ever seen or heard of uses JHP.

Aside from the fact that FMJ can overpenetrate and hit someone else, it doesn't do enough damage to your target. What that means is that when you are trying to stop them from doing all the things that caused them to get shot in the first place, you're not going to be able to stop them as quickly as you will with a good JHP.

Pick up 1 box of each of the following: Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Remington Golden Sabre, and Winchester Ranger. Run them through your gun. Pick the one you find works best with your gun and that you shoot most accurately. You can't go wrong with any of the above.

If this seemed a little curt and rant, I apologize. I just can't stand when those who merely like the sound of their own voices impart horribly inacurate information to people who look to them as a source of knowledge.