What is considered on my person?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by MetalSlugIV, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

I do not yet have a CCW for Missouri. I am going to a hotel in KC this weekend and I want to take my Glock with me for SD. I will keep it in my car and then in the hotel room. I've done a lot of googling to find what my local laws deem "on my person". But I can't find a thing addressing this specific issue. Is carrying the glock loaded (what about unloaded?) in a case in my luggage "on my person"? I will only be transporting it from the hotel to car and back. Does anyone have some advice or can someone point me in the direction to get the proper advice? The only thing I can find on Missouri's CCW website is the little state info brochure that has very little info.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You'll probably be ok transporting it to/from the car unloaded. Lets be realistic, if you're not acting like a retard, what are the odds of the police contacting you as you're taking your stuff inside the hotel?

IGF

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I would agree with IGF on this one. I think you will be OK as long as you just transport it in and out of the hotel room to and from your car so long as it is indeed unloaded.

Please do not take internet advice as your final decision maker though...Make 100% SURE of your local laws before you decide to do this during your trip.

4. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

I'm not going make my final choice based on a forum. It's just hard to find my local laws as I can't find any information online. Short of heading to a damn legal library before I go I don't see how to dig up the info unless someone has a link to both Missouri's and KC's gun laws.

5. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

That's good. Please know I was not trying to be a jerk in my first posting. I just don't want to see any good guys get in trouble for taking the inititive to defend themselves. That's all I meant by it. :wavey:

I don't know if you checked this site out yet, but I glanced at it quickly and it seemed to contain some good info..

http://www.missouricarry.com/

Edit: Actually, that source does not seem to contain as much information about the actual law as I thought it did. Sorry about that. I was just trying to help.

6. Hackett

Hackett

in MO, as in most states, if you are transporting from vehicle to domain in a public area, such as a parking lot of an apartment complex or hotel, the firearm can be loaded but cannot be on your person and must be in a case or behind a mechanical restraint, and obviously, not visible.

I keep mine in my go bag which goes with me everywhere I go.

7. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

No offense taken. I know what you mean. Some people take armchair legal advice on the internet seriously and could get in trouble. Disclaimers like the one you gave are always warranted.

Seems like the safest bet would be to use the gun lock that came with the Glock to get the gun to the hotel room and load it for the night once I'm in the room. I did find in my research that Missouri's castle doctrine extends to temporary lodging like hotels.

8. chief

chief

generally the phrase that's used is "on or about your person," which basically means within reach. most places don't distinguish between the gun being loaded or unloaded for the purposes of violating permitless concealed carry (an unloaded concealed gun is still a concealed gun.)

9. kensteele

kensteele

You didn't say if you had a permit or not.

OP also please be careful. The state line (KS/MO) is always near by and the laws are different over here. Without a permit, [generally] no loaded firearm (expect maybe inside your hotel room).

You are free to drive all over MO with a loaded handgun in your car but if you cross the line, you'll probably need to unload it. I am not aware of any KS KC-metro suburb that allows a loaded handgun w/o a permit.

10. kensteele

kensteele

I'm going to help out the OP because he speaks about Kansas City and he's minutes from KS. You might go to Kansas City, KS and the laws are different than in Kansas City, MO across the street. Pretty much anyone can have an unloaded handgun anywhere in your car, concealed, needs to be in a container. Not a problem. That is the only way to ensure you are legal (KS) statewide.

As been said before and I think you are aware of this, generally you can drive with a loaded concealed handgun in your car in MO.

You are correct, the law is not really that clear outside the car w/o a permit. If you were unloaded, not a problem, you're covered from car to hotel. Otherwise, the previous poster said you were ok loaded; not sure myself.

IANAL

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. Hackett

Hackett

I do have a CCW but rarely carry on my person if at all, and I never have anything in the pipe during.

I, like MetalSlug, don't know what the grey area is for going directly from vehicle to domain is vs. carrying out and about.

Best to always play it safe though.

12. kensteele

kensteele

Agreed, it's not clear. That's why it is always best to get a permit, then it becomes really clear. Pretty much any carry is ok and in MO, pretty much anywhere.

IANAL

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

If you have no permit look up your state laws and remember that "on your person" does not always mean on your body but close by. So cya and stay safe.