close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is best software for

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Wolfgang, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

What is best software for encryption of laptops, desktops and/or portable devices?

Below is a list of recommended features and functionality the full-disk encryption solution should offer.
    • Full-disk encryption (user data, operating system, temporary files, erased files)
    • AES-256 bit encryption
    • Pre-boot authentication

I don't understand any of this.

2. woodasptim

woodasptim

3. treeline

treeline

Bitlocker or truecrypt. Bitlocker comes with some versions of Windows Vista and is the easy choice if you have it. Truecrypt is perfect for anything else or just if you prefer it. It's an easy answer because these 2 are great and even Electroic Frontier Foundation recommended. The hard part is figuring out how to use them.

A brief explanation of the features you mentioned:

1. full disk encryption means all data on your hard drive is encrypted instead of just one small section. A good idea since your software stores files temporarily all over the place and it's easy to find an un-encrypted version of the file you're hiding. Browsers store images to speed up browing, Word stores a copy in case you forget to save etc.
    2. AES 256 is a type of encryption. It's secure enough to protect Top Secret documents.
    3. Pre-boot authentication - means your computer won't even start running without a password or other proof you're the right user. Good, it helps security.

4. treeline

treeline

At some point you'll have to come up with a password. A good passwors is a complex mix of letters, numbers and symbols. Sounds like a nightmare to remember but there are ways of helping.

1. Use the first letters from a song and a simple code. Here's an example using Johnny Cash's song Ring of Fire:

Love is a burnin' thing,
    And it makes a fiery ring

S!1,Lisbr,2,Aitafr

Keep any code you add fairly simple. In my example I used S! to indicate start and a line number followed by a comma.

2. Use a book, CD, flyer etc to come up with a code. Helpful if you might forget but less secure. After you type it a few times it's less daunting.

Here's an example from a GT thread I found.

FV-SBwFCw>>00-B23/4i@25yCBb

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  5. Tackle

Tackle

A long password with words are not only easier to remember, they are harder to crack than short hard to remember passwords.

Example:
    Horsedogflowertip26$

A simple program like ophcrack can crack pw's with less than 14 random characters in less than a couple minutes. 14+ characters and it can't decode the hash. I have experienced this before.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  6. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

Downloaded TrueCrypt.

reading instructions, scary, is it safe to do this? Will the computer, drives, etc work again?