close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is an approved FFL?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lbm, Nov 20, 2006.

1. lbm

lbm

This is really a basic question but what is a FFL?

I'm planning on ordering a Glock through the GSSF offering and know that I need to get a Michigan purchase permit. My question is if the permit is the FFL or do I need an authorized gun dealer to agree to recieve the Glock and give it to me after seeing my permit?

My location is Oakland County Michigan.
    lbm

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You need to get a copy of your dealer's FFL with an original signature on it and include it with your order. It's done every day, everywhere. Glock will then ship the pistol to your FFL, who, in turn may charge you a handling fee.

3. Turak

Turak

I too am from Michigan. Have bought a few pistols this year.

If you order a pistol from Glock/GSSF, you must have the business (located in Michigan) that is going to receive the gun for you, give you a 'HAND SIGNED' copy of thier FFL (Federal Firearms License).. It can be a copy, but the signature MUST be an original, ink signature. Only way GLOCK/GSSF will accept it. There shouldn't be any problem, but if they are hesitent to give it to you, then take the forms all filled out with a stamped envelope to them and have them enclose their FFL and mail it for you.

You then have to go to the police station and get a 'Permit to Purchase a Pistol'.

*TIP - Wait until the business receives it and calls you. Then go and get the 'Purchase Permit'. That way you permit will not expire if the gun gets hung up or delayed in shipping.

Once you have the purchase permit, you then have 10 business days to go and purchase/pick up your pistol.

You then have to take it back to the police station for inspection/registration. They'll type up a 'green card' with your information and the model/serial number of the pistol. Some will offer to laminate it for you for an extra buck or two...do it.

Shop around as far as the gun dealer or FFL dealer. If you pay any more than $25 you are paying TOO much. I have seen them as low as $15 and as high as $50.

I personally have used Bass Pro many times with no problems. They used to charge $20, but now its $25. You can put it on your Rewards card too if you happen to have one.

4. lbm

lbm

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    lbm

5. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Hand signed FFLs are no longer required. BATFE allows FAX'ed copies now. Must be legible.

6. Turak

Turak

That is true for most places of business.

However, Glock/GSSF will ONLY accept a FFL that is mailed to them with an original ink signature. They will not accept a faxed copy. For that matter, they do not accept phone orders either....when it comes the special deal that is available to GSSF members, or the prize certificates from GSSF.

If you've ever seen a recent copy of a FFL. The instructions that accompany it specifically state on the sheet that you ARE NOT to sign it. Rather, you make copies of it and sign the copies, that is when a place of business requires a signed copy as opposed to a faxed copy.

Basically even though the BATF recently started allowing faxed copies, a place of business can, at their descretion, require an ink signed copy if they wish.

Here is a copy of the instruction sheet that comes with a GSSF prize certificate.