GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
The "Heroes work here" thing mostly seems like a way for employers to sidestep inadequate PPE, insufficient staffing, etc. I guess it was a nice sentiment in the beginning, but, outside a few places (like NYC and such), it never really hit back in the spring. Now it is hitting in other places, but the public sentiment has turned away.

All that said, the majority of people in healthcare didn't ask for the signs, don't consider themselves "heroes", and don't deserve derision from those who think the signs are stupid. (Granted, there are a few who really like the signs and pseudo-importance, e.g. "I can't stay home, I'm an essential worker" posts and such.)

·
κολασμένος
18,406 Posts
Maybe (like so many other words) the meaning of the word 'hero' is contextual and subjective, rather than concrete and objective.

Take the recent story of the guy who saved the small dog by prying it out of the alligator's mouth. Was that 'heroic'? In reality all he did was risk slight injury (c'mon, it was a small alligator :rofl: ) to save someone's off-leash, inbred, non-too-smart spoiled pet. Not really earth shattering. But I bet it was a big deal to the pet owner.

Maybe those nurses, assistants, etc., that work at the care facility are heroes to the families of the residents... Knowingly taking risks to care for their loved ones. They'd be heroes to me if that was the case.

:headscratch:

Either way... if that's all we have to argue and complain about... Happy Thanksgiving to us. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I met this Hero when we were both stationed at Maxwell AFB in the early 1980s. Didn't see him again until after we both retired from the USAF. I was in the Police Academy and he taught a course as a visiting instructor in 1992. I see him several times a year since we currently live fairly close to each other.

http://www.veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=1459

Latest photo:

160513-F-0003V-050.png

·
Premium Member
25,324 Posts
If you joined the Military, Law Enforcement... Served honorably, you have my thanks. I can respect a person for a act, but dislike the person.
I respect Beto for letting the lady who owns Shooters in Rifle CO talk, quiet his supporters repeatedly. I dislike the man, his views. But it was respectful thing to do. For a Democrat it’s impressive

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Most of you know what I do for a living. I’m working today. It’s my scheduled day so it’s nothing unusual. Today I’m working with a bunch of ragtag ruffnecks, guys and girls, young and old, some badasses, some more meek and mild. They get the job done and I’m proud of them. This will be the last holiday I work with some of them.

All of us do this because we want to and because our commitment to public service is in our blood. None of us are hero’s. We all work beside a few of them but they don’t consider themselves anything special either. We certainly don’t do our jobs for the limelight or recognition. A simple thank you is well appreciated.

If you want to thank those who serve, tell them thanks. Tell them you stand with them. Stand up for them when the powers that be try to defund them, or lay them off, or try to make them the point of blame for their own political failures.

Rant off. Enjoy your holiday. Be safe.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well every person who was award the Medal of Honor had people doing thing behind the sceins to support that person on the front lines.

My nephew was a Yoeman in the Navy (basically a secretary). Not a very important job some would say unless you paper work for promotion was goofed up, then you did not get promoted. That Yomen must have been an important job other wise the Navy would not have the RATE Yoeman.

My take on all these non important support jobs are they are very important, like spoke in a wheel, if one spoke is broken, sooner or later the wheel collapse.

I had read some place for ever person in the field on the front lines doing the fighting there are a minimum of 10-12 people behind the line in support of that person on the line.

·
AAAMAD
30,979 Posts
Not every heroic act is on a battlefield and not every hero needs to be in the military.

Firefighters running into a burning building can be heros.

Cops or medics breathing life into a choking/unresponsive baby can be heros.

When my mother had a stroke, and the smartest, most capable, proficient women I’ve known was reduced to barely even being able to move her head, those doctors and nurses that worked with her and cared for her when all of my military combat experience could do nothing, they were hero’s to me.

Sounds like the OP is just mad that other people are getting validation.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
I sat and talked and met with these Hero Men in 2004,After a hour and more with them one said when we had been told about the mission that we would not return...

Another was My Grandfather from 42 to 45 On the Enterprise CV-6.He said many a battle I expected we would not return.

but we kept fighting everyday, Second from the left.

Yes the title Hero Means different things to many today.

Doolittle-I.jpg
Enterprise-1942_zpsa27fad30.jpg

·
Registered
17,870 Posts
This was your outrage today??? Giving a couple CNAs crap for doing a largely unpleasant job at a nursing home because they were standing in front of a sign their employer probably placed there to build morale since this box of **** called COVID started.

You are doing God's work.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
John Wayne has been credited with saying something to the effect of “Courage is being very afraid but running into the fight anyway.”

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
John Wayne has been credited with saying something to the effect of “Courage is being very afraid but running into the fight anyway.”
The ICU nurses at our hospitals are certainly heroes. They go into harms way to help others and try to do it with kindness and compassion despite being freaked the eff out that they’re going to get their infants and kids sick from COVID and their ailing parents that live with them.

They could easily call in sick or say “not my problem” but they grit their teeth and try and put their own fears behind the calling to help others in pain and in need.

Heroes to me. If you’ve ever been sick and in an ICU you can appreciate how much even a little care and kindness means when you’re vulnerable.

·
Registered
26,561 Posts
Roy Benavidez was the daddy of all 'heroes'.

On the other had some folks distinguish themselves by performing a good job, every day. Day in and day out. That accumulation of good deeds, whether under external duress, or internal horror and disgust, folks like paramedics can attain the status of hero, in my book.

·
Georgia gal
1,142 Posts
I think the OP's point is that "hero" is an overused word and I agree with that.

I don't, however, think he chose the best example to make that point.

It appears those people may be CNAs, nurses' aides, or techs, whichever term is used. Their job responsibilities, while normally not as dangerous as running into a burning building, running toward instead of away from gunfire, etc., include tasks many of us would not want to do, and for relatively little pay. They help patients with daily activities such as bathing, eating, and what is at times rather euphemistically called toileting. More importantly, their job responsibilities are crucial for their patients.

Most of us probably don't need those services and never have to give those things a second thought (yet?), but if I were a patient lying there who for whatever reason was totally unable to do those things for myself, I think (in MY eyes) the person doing them for me would definitely seem like a hero to me.

Just some thoughts on this Thanksgiving Day.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
Heroes don't need signs telling you they are heroes.
I would agree. It may also have the negative impact of constantly reminding them what they are doing is risky. It also does not mean that if some PC employer puts up a hero sign the employees are not at least slightly heroic.

I would say those that work with really sick covid patients are heroic. They are clearly at a higher risk and they have to look at what the virus could do to them if they get it.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My buddy is Firefight-Paramdeic who asked once, your department do medal for acts of valor, and heroism? He replied no, that is our job, that is what we train to do, we do this work by career choice.

If someone does something extra orgin are, they get letter of compinsation in personal file, and copy sent to them in interdepartmental mail.

He run in to bad situations, and fires when most normal people would run in opposit direction. It just his job, by choice. No big deal in his eyes.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts