close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is a great rifle for under 1000 dollars?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by beau_safken, Oct 15, 2003.

1. beau_safken

beau_safken Hippy Hater

I'm really wanting to get into rifles but I dont really know which are the "glocks" of the rifle world. I dont care about wood stocks or engravings. I just want a rifle that is reliable, very accurate and is easy to clean like a glock. IF you guys could help me out with some websites or resources that could help me out I would appreciate it. Course if I have some rifle recommendations...I would like that also. :cool:

Thanks in advance.

2. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

You'll probably get a lot of varied oppinions on this... For my money it's hard to beat the Remington 700. It comes in various models. I like the 'Mountain Rifle'. I also prefer a short action calibre - .308, .243, 7mm-08, .260. etc. Check out their web site - a different model may catch your eye.

I've heard very good things (on this board) about Tikka. I don't own one. I do have a Sako lever action that is a very well made gun. Tikka is made by Sako - I'm sure they are fine rifles.

Same with the Savage. I don't own one, but I hear good things about them- particularly for the money.

You should be able to get a 700 for around $550+/-. You can spend closer to your $1000 limit, but, you won't get any more accuracy or quality. Save the money and use it to buy a quality scope.

Also, a Remington will be easy to sell if you ever decide to do that.

3. pellertpale

pellertpale ReMember

Bolt-700 All the way
    Semi-Bushmaster, or AR 10 For large caliber

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Since this is a hunting forum I would guess you want to shoot some sort of critter with this new rifle. An idea of the end use will be useful.

If your budget is set at a grand I would work backwards to find the price range for your rifle. This is especially important if you are thinking of putting a scope on the rifle. With $1000 I would plan on spending $450 for a scope, rings and mounts, $500 on the rifle itself and $50 for accessories like cleaning gear and a case.

I would take a long look at the Tikka T3 for most any application. For a good predator calling rifle the CZ 527 is a great deal. For a long range varminter the Tikka Continental and the Savage model 12 are good options.

Tikka info can be found here: http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_rifles_main.htm (they are imported by beretta)

CZ info can be found here: http://www.cz-usa.com/

Savage info can be found here: http://www.savagearms.com/

Other good names in bolt action rifles are : Winchester, Remington, and Browning. Though to get a rifle that their quality control team actually took a look, at may take you out of your price range.

5. beau_safken

beau_safken Hippy Hater

Well I have a seperate budget and plan for a scope. The Tikka is a very nice rifle and has been recommended by my hunting friends.

The rifle will be used for antelope, deer, elk. Nothing huge like a bear ;P.

I am thinking of the .270 caliber. All the guys say that its a great caliber for just about everything. Does that help out anymore?

Thanks for all your replies and assistance.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

If given that budget I would go with a Sako 75 or Tikka M695. Specifically the Sako Finnlight or Tikka Master Pro in 6.5x55 Swede. Both can be had in .270 Winchester, as well as other calibers.

7. BWR55

BWR55 Re-member

Most definately the Remington model 700 and for me it would probably be the BDL. These rifles are reasonbly priced. Everybody works on them. There are lots of aftermarket parts (stocks, triggers etc) and it is probably the most common action used amongst even target shooters all around. The rifle is very easy to clean and will give you many years of reliable use. I have a 700 BDL in .308 ,that has been deer hunting with me every year since 1978 and it has NEVER failed me even once. I did have a scope work loose on me one year and I quickly replaced that with a new scope and mounts. (reaally nothing wrong with the old one just an excuse to buy a leupold over the bushnell I had) I don't have anything to say negitively about any of the other firearms mentioned I just like the Remington.
    Happy Hunting

8. skfullgun

skfullgun

Remington 700 BDL (preferably in 30/06), Leupold mounts and rings and a Leupold scope. The rifle will cost you $450, the mount and rings around $75, and the scope around $200. Add around $100 for sling swivels and a a nice sling and you still have only $825 in the perfect hunting rifle package.

9. beau_safken

beau_safken Hippy Hater

Ok after doing some research on the sako/tikka rifles I think I have an idea.

Tikka T3 Stainless

Only around 620 bucks for the rifle and the best part is that this rifle is rust-proof. Synthetic stock and stainless steel all around...I love easy maintenance. Anyone hear anything about this or use one?

10. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I have used the other Tikkas but not the T3 yet. Finally got to hold one last week... very nice feeling rifle. Trigger is adjustable (very easily) from 2-4 pounds, all it takes is an allen wrench. They also come with an accuracy guarntee, 1" or less at 100 yards. Plus they have the smoothest action going for a $400-$500 rifle. Plus the rifle has a little Glock in it ;) it has polymer mags ;f

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The Tikkas, Remington 700 BDL Stainless (I think they make one.......) a Savage 110 or 110FCM Scout would all do well.

12. BWR55

BWR55 Re-member

13. turq

turq

My suggestion would be the Styer SBS Forrester; for the trigger and the Bbl.(about $534) Or the Weatherby SPM Super Predator Master because of the Krieger Bbl and the 6 1/2lbs weight.(Near the $1000)

14. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

15. A.F. Lineman

A.F. Lineman

I like my 700ADL Remington in 30-06. But I Love my Browning. Mine is a BAR in 30-06.

Here is one that might fit what you want.

Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker

Or just plain WOW!!! Click on the picture on the page. Just WOW. Maybe a little out of your range, but beautiful.

16. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

i have a winchester mod 70 in 3006...imo great gun..i never had a problem...
    imo
    :) :)
    bob

17. Guest

Find an old German Mauser. In standard 8mm form it's find for deer if you can find hunting loads or load your own. Mauser receivers have been used for all sorts of custom projects. They're accurate and reliable.

I've got a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 made in 1908 and it'll outshoot quite a few "expensive" rifles. If it were legal to use rifles on deer in southern lower Michigan I'd use this gun exclusively.

18. beau_safken

beau_safken Hippy Hater

The seems like a marvelous antique. I dont know if I could fire such a rifle on a regular basis. However...a mauser sounds really cool to fire. Do you have to load your own ammo in order to fire that rifle or can you find the rounds on the market?

19. hifidelity

hifidelity

Buy yourself a Remington Sendero in whatever caliber you like, .270, with the 26" Fluted BBL, you will get superb accuracy. Spend the other $200 in your gun budget for a Jewel trigger. If you have a equal fund for scope, I highly suggest a Nightforce NXS scope with a Badger base and rings. Personally, I use the exact same setup in .300 REm Ultra Mag (.404 Jeffrey resized & blown out) and it is the essence of accuracy. My next step is sending it out to be fitted with a Doug Lijila (sp?) custom 28" BBL with an integrated muzzle break. You will NOT be disappointed with the accuracy out to 1000yds and a bit beyond. With handloads, you can easily get groups around 1/4-1/3 MOA.

20. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

You don’t say what the rifle will be used for. Small game? big game? Is this rifle intended for the woods or the open prarie?

I am going to assume that you want a quality big game rifle that costs less than $1000. I assume that you will be hunting in the North American continent for big game. So here is my suggestion.

Take a look at the Thompsen/Center Hawken .54 Caliber Cap Lock rifle.

[​IMG]

Double set trigger, 28” octagon barrel w/ 1 in 48” rifling twist for accuracy with ball and conical bullets, adjustable rear sight w/ bead front sight. A .535 patched round ball over a pet load of Goex FFG blackpowder will do for deer, elk, black bear, & buffalo. The.54 caliber 365gr Maxi-Balls are certainly “big medicine” on big game.

The price is about $425 online *click here*

For $21 you can get a powder horn w/ 90gr horn powder measure *click here*

[​IMG]

$30 will get you a possibles bag to stow your accoutrements.
    *click here*

[​IMG]

You will need a capper, nipple wrench, vent pick, wedge pin puller, ball puller, patch worm, and a cleaning jag. These items will add up to about $50 *click here*

Get a steel melting pot, ladle, and a .535 ball mould, about $50 from Lee

You want the *Bore Butter* for lubricating your patches. Use it to 'season' your barrel against rust.

Check this out! Here are some scalp locks made with real human hair to decorate your fringed buckskin shirt *click here*
    You know it will go well that big Bowie knife you got tucked in your sash.