close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is a good round for coyotes, I use Q3131A for pratice, 20 in AR-15 ?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BLACK Z, Dec 10, 2002.

1. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

I pratice with Q3131A and will use what ever I end up going with as hunting ammo for sight in, and then use the Q3131A for pratice and plinking, I would like to get a round that will have a pretty close point of impacted as my pratice stuff, thanks
    P.S shot probably will be no more then 200 yards maybe 300 once in a while but could be under a 100 yards.

2. MrMunster

MrMunster

Two legal comments first, then an answer:

1) Check the legality of hunting with semi-auto rifles in NY. Some states (e.g. PA) do not allow them.

2) Check for limits on the types of ammunition allowed. Some states require that only 'expanding' (e.g. HP,SP,PSP; not ball) bullets be used.

I would look for offerings in the 55gr or heavier range using hollow point or pointed soft-point bullets. With such a light round, you want to have maximum expansion.

The following are examples I've had good luck with:

Federal 55gr w/ Sierra Blitz King
    (CorBon offers a similar load)
    Win 55gr PSP
    Hornady VArmint Express 55gr (non-moly)

3. jamieray

jamieray

i use the hornady varmint express loaded with the 40gr molycoated vmax
    shoots great and stops em in there tracks

4. MI10mm

MI10mm

Black Z, don't use the FMJ ammo on coyotes, unless you want them to run. You are better off to use a polymer tipped bullet, hollow point, or even a soft point for such uses. I've used the 223 on coyotes for years and the best results were with bullets of the HP, SP, or Plastic tipped variety. MI10mm

5. Guest

Try 50 grn Winchester Bulistic Silvertips, or the 64 grn molycoated Winchester Power Point Plus. The 50 grn should work like a charm. The 64 grn was nice too.

For the 64 grn Power Point Plus I only had to move the P.O.I (Point of Impact) on my scope one click (1/4 inch) at 100 yards to zero it after sighting in with the Winchester F.M.J. "Q" loads.

I can not remember the adjustment for the Silver tips, but it was not that much.

In Oregon the coyote is considered a "Varmint" there is open season on them. You can even hunt them at night as long as you do not use an "artificial light sorce". The use of semi-autos is allowed, and there is no limit on mag capacity for hunting coyotes here.

Safe and happy hunting.

6. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

I have always had good results with .22 rimfire for Coyotes.

I have a neighbor that uses a Winchester Low Wall single shot .25-20 with good results to 150yds with 86gr cast bullets.