What is a good Night Vision Monocular?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cole125, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I have been wanting to get a decent night vision monocular for a while. I know nothing about them. Who here has one, and what is a good make and model to get? The most I would want to spend is $700 or so.

Any input greatly appreciated. :cool:

2. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

Get the PVS-14, preferably not an ATN model.

anything else will be a disapointment.

check out www.tacticalnightvision.com

edit: $700 will not be enough to get anything other than a toy. If that is your plan, spend about $500 on the nightvision for a generation 1 monocular from cabelas, and use the other $200 to purchase DA TORCH from tactical nightvision. DA TORCH is a variable focus infrared light which can only be seen by the night vision, it will effectively extend your range greatly no matter which unit you have.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    700?

No one makes a good model for that cheap.

Double that, and you can get into a decent gen II system. Bout 3.5K for a PVS-14.

4. j-glock22

j-glock22

Agreed, the better quality in a compact package will run you some serious $$$...

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

6. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

long story short, gen 1 and gen 2 are pretty much the same. I own a generation 1+ goggle system called night cougar and a generation 3 pvs-14. My dad has a generation 1+ fixed 4x scope that I have checked out, and my friends I hunt with all have pvs-14s and fixed 4 and 6 power generation 3 scopes.

What you are looking at with the Bushnell is a night vision packaged with a very large infrared illuminator. I would still reccomend purchasing the Monocular and the Illuminator seperate, and in specific reccomend on DA TORCH from tacticalnightvision.com, I own the unit and it easily doubles the usefulness of the Generation 1+ stuff, and with my pvs-14 it will illuminate a tree line 600 yards away with no moon. I do not know what kind of quality the illuminator is in the bushnell.

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Thanks for the input Gonetodarkside. Hopefully someone here has a Bushnell and can give me a mini review. :supergrin:

8. ray9898

ray9898

Decent, usable NV is expensive ($1k+). Cheaper stuff is pretty much just for novelty use. Gen 1 is only remotely usable at close range in good conditions.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010