What is a good brand laptop, and does extensive use hurt your eyes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Jul 13, 2020.

1. nsl

nsl

In the market as my desktop is 10+ years old, has the no longer supported W7, etc.
    Its an ASUS, and has been great, so I'm hoping an ASUS laptop is a good choice.
    As far as hurting eyes, my PC doesn't bother me, but my iPad will mess my eyes up for hours even if I spend just 30 minutes on it.

Westexas likes this.
  2. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Don't know about brand, but you should be aware that AMD is totally kicking Intel's butt in the CPU business. And AMD's GPUs are competitive with NVidea's mid range GPUs at a significantly lower cost. Worth checking them out.

https://www.laptopmag.com/best-picks/amd-ryzen-laptops

Paul53 likes this.

3. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

4. slym2none

slym2none

I have always been a Dell person (I know, I know... :p ) but whatever laptop you get, don't spend a lot on it. The internet and other programs always gt ahead of the machines after about three years, and then you notice that some things don't work any more, and/or YouTube videos play slower, or it takes 3-5 minutes for the computer to boot up instead of the >30 seconds when it was new. You can get a decent 15" HP for under $400 any day of the week, probably $100 less on sale/near the holidays.

10or45 likes this.
  5. Wizzz

Wizzz

Asus been most reliable in regards to laptop. I've owned other laptops and they all burned out. I build my own gaming desktop PCs and prefer tablets and phablets now though.

Eye doctor told me to use eye drops for dry eyes and limit time infront of the screen which helped. That has been a challenge though since my work is mostly infront of a screen.

I also stayed away from all screens and electronics for couple days in a row and I feel like on cloud 9 afterwards. Eye vision very relaxed no strains or headaches.

6. Aurora

Aurora

I stick with Lenovo. I don't buy the low end machines and stay away from the home versions of any OS.

V.

1eyedjack01 likes this.
  7. Mathemagician1

Mathemagician1

No. Just no. :)

For CPU, this is completely dependent on the workload. AMD is cramming lots of slow cores onto their chips so artificially multicore (>16 cores) benchmarks do well, while Intel buries AMD on single core performance which is reflective of almost all real-world scenarios.

NVDA's GPUs generally crush anything from AMD right now, as well. Raytracing? AMD doesn't even pretend to try to compete. Any premium for Intel and Nvidia is totally justified and easily worth it.

We all pray AMD catches up because it is good for the industry and very good for the consumer if they do. But, that doesn't make it true at this particular point in time. Paying an extra $100-150 for Intel/NVDA vs AMD on a PC that you'll have for 5-10 years is for most people a pretty easy call.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
  8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

9. Mathemagician1

Mathemagician1

To stay on topic, yes, Lenovo.

1eyedjack01 likes this.
  10. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

Used HP for years, switched to Lenova a couple years ago and have been very pleased.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Brand wise, I have always had good luck with Dell products.

I have 4 of them in the house right now (old and new personal ones and 2 government ones). My oldest one is 10 years old and has been through 2 deployments to Afghanistan and still works fine, other than being weighed down by the ever-increasing size of Microsoft software updates and upgrades. Also have 2 Dell desktops, a Dell projector and probable some more, old Dell desktops in a closet somewhere.

I tried a Lenovo once. It lasted for a couple of months. Won't do that again.

Both personal Dell laptops I got at Best Buy - on the last one, they had a sale where it was something like 40% off. Look at sale prices on Best Buy and you might get a bargain.

KikoMonster, slym2none and BobbyS like this.
  12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

You're not going to be getting raytracing in anything but a pricey gaming laptop. Nor do you need that unless you're high end gaming.

AMD's integrated graphics are better than Intel's so GPU that could be a factor.

AMD's Ryzen 4000 series is looking pretty good.

You'll find that AMD is often the best option in the mid-range, and unless you're running a tricked-out rig with the fastest GPUs paired with low-resolution high-refresh monitors, you won't miss the slim gaming performance deltas to be had with Intel CPUs

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-vs-intel-cpus

upload_2020-7-13_9-51-41.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Mathemagician1 likes this.
  13. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

Just get one with an HDMI port - which I assume is most of them - and plug it into a full size monitor - then plug in a USB full size keyboard and you have the best of both -

Full size when you want it - portable when you need it.

KikoMonster likes this.
  15. Fanner50

Fanner50 NRA Patron Member

I'm surprised no one has said "Apple", so I will, Apple. Just do it.

jmohme, Redeemed and tacit mesa like this.
  16. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

You can reset the computer to original. Of course you need to save your data before. And then reload the data and applications - as well as drivers for printers, etc.

17. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Same here until the new one I just bought. Small size laptop ($600), blew a speaker the second week I had it. Had to buy headphones.

Maccabeus likes this.
  18. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

My old HP is starting to get the little glitches that tell me it's mortal after all. Win7 is comfortable for me and I've had enough experience with Win10 to truly not look forward to living with it. So I'm taking the plunge and just ordered my first Mac. If I'm going to have to learn a new operating system anyway, why not? Giving the finger to Microsoft doesn't upset me at all either.

GlockTrader45 and Inyo Tim like this.
  19. GlockTrader45

GlockTrader45

To answer OP’s original question:

ASUS is a perfectly good laptop brand.

You can adjust the blue light display setting on the screen so it won’t hurt your eyes as much.

My personal opinions:

I work on computers all day so I had a blue light filter/coating put on my glasses, but I also have the “blue light” turned off on my displays, and night-mode set to turn on at sundown.

Others have recommend avoiding Dell, and I could not agree more. That company had all but abandoned the laptop market, focusing instead on servers and such. As a result their laptops suck a big one.

Lenovo had some major security issues about 4 or 5 years back, but everyone seems to have forgotten about them. I would still steer clear of Lenovo.

Apple MacBook Pro is a very nice laptop, but also quite expensive. You can save some money by purchasing a refurbished model—I use one and it’s been great—but some folks are more comfortable buying new, which I totally understand.

Good luck in your search for a new computer!

Inyo Tim likes this.
  20. bigchuck83

bigchuck83

I’ve had an Hp for a few years and the only major problem I’ve had is the battery stopped holding a charge. $30 battery from eBay cures that problem. Had Dell and Toshiba before and had lots of problems with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk