close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

What is a Fair Price for a Glock in your Local FFL Dealer

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by akapennypincher, Feb 18, 2003.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

There has been a lot of discussion of Prices, Dealer Cost, Cost of Manufacturing a Glock, etc. on this Forum, Glock Talk.

Was talking to a guy I know from the area where I spend my Wonder Years, (San Fernando Valley), and apparently most of the Great Gun Shops that once were, are not any longer.

Here in the area where I live now in the last Five Years we have had maybe 3 or 4 Gun Shop Close Down.

Think there are many reasons Gun Shop fail, or Close Down. But I think one of the Key Factors is the Cost of Business/Liability Insurance. As every time the FFL Dealer sells a Firearm, they are risking a LAW Suit, and one good suit, and you could find yourself with out Business/Liability Insurance on you next renewal date.

The Auto & Alcoholic Beverage Industry I think should have the same liability as the Local FFL Dealer, but they do not as they got the $$ to lobby our elected officials.

As if you look at the Numbers More People who are Killed, or Hurt Real Bad in this Country by irresponsible use of Alcohol, and Motor Vehicles, those number far out number similar incident where irresponsible use of Firearms was involved.

Think their are times many of us forget that our local gun Shops need to be their as they are a source for several valuable commodities you just do not get via Internet Sales, or what I use to call Catalog/Mailorder Sales.

• Service

• Knowledgeable Salespersons

• An assortment of Ammunition, by Brands, Bullet Weights, Calibers, etc.

• Firearms

• Accessories

and last a place to go ask a live person, how too, or what to if you do not know.

Anyone place a value on the Local Gun Shop, or do you think they will all disappear like most have in the Greater Los Angeles Basin???

Personally I thionk if the Local Gun Shop, it will only make this tought on all of us......:(

2. Thag

Thag Unga bunga!

akapennypincher,

In a previous post of mine, I badmouthed a local dealer's pricing. Think I even called them "thieving bastards." But I agree with you that local gun shops have value.

All but one of my previous firearms were bought from a very small local shop (not the larger overpriced one mentioned above). I can look at guns all day on the internet. But the gun shop lets me hold one and really inspect it. They give me a lot of information, too. So, I feel obligated to give them my business.

As for the numbers... This Glock purchase is the first one that I seriously researched prices on. I found the following:

TopGlock.com: $474
    Small local shop I usually use: $530
    Big overpriced local shop: $565

My wallet is light these days, but I wanted to spend my money locally, so I visited the local shops to see if they could match TopGlock's price. The small shop couldn't come close. The big shop matched it. (I assume they have more buying power to get better deals from the distributors.) I didn't like buying from the big overpriced shop, but figured it was better than giving my money to a warehouse in another state.

It's the kind of tough call that we make almost every day. Do we buy our groceries at the locally owned market or save some money and buy from WalMart? I love to support small businesses and the local economy, but sometimes my wallet wins. :-/

I suppose, like most things in life, it's hard to find black and white. Shades of gray ... shades of gray.

3. 1badmagnum

1badmagnum

gunfinder has all the glock pistols between $500-$600.add $20 for shipping and your local ffl fee and you'll have your total.I use this price to bring down my local dealer.

4. TheActor

TheActor unsane

Local glock shop all models from $475-485. The longslide, comp types are maybe $495 none are over $500.

5. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Local guns stores in San Antonio are usually thieves that live off the uninformed.

At the monthly gun show, we have several dealers come through and you can get a G19,26,22, 23, 27 in the $470 range.

6. n9zez

n9zez 9-1-1

--Indiana--

I just bought a Glock 32 Today for $489.00 at my Local Gun Shop. Galyans, which is a corporate sporting good store in Indianapolis sells all Glocks for $499.00 from compact to comepetion. I think the price on Glocks in Indiana is pretty fair.

7. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Wish my local dealers would come down on their prices. But they pretty much refuse to. There was a local dealer here that I could talk the price down on Glocks but he upset me one day so I decided I'll spend my money else where. I normally try to buy locally but there are some things I won't put up with and calling me a liar to my face because he was not informed on certain things I would not tolerate. Oh yeah...he's asking $600+ for all new and used Glocks...and he wonders why no one is buying them.

There used to be a dealer here that was the best. Had dirt cheap prices because he was selling everything about $20 over the LEO prices. Heck, pretty hard to find a G34 brand new for less than $480 out the door if you ask me. Sadly...;1 he went out of business but no one knows why yet.

So now I drive an hour out of town to a wonderful shop with excellent prices and service. And charges about $500 out the door for new Glocks. One of these days I might try giving the other dealer a chance again but not sure yet. ;I

8. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Maybe he could not survive on his pricing, as there was ZERO Profit, after Business Expences Like.

• Rent

• Insurance

• Telephone

• Utilities

• Cost of Inventory

• Taxes

• Licenses

• Permits

etc, etc. etc that equal the Cost of Doing Business......$480.00 out the door for a New Glock 34 is CRAZY like as in Fire Sale......;g ;g ;g ;g

9. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

I don't know...he's been in business for years with prices like that. He was getting up there in age too so its possible that he finally decided to retire. When talking to him he always seemed to be the type of person that never really did it for the money but rather just the enjoyment of dealing with firearms and people and bringing them deals. Plus he always seemed to be selling a lot of ammo and accessories and making a good profit there without being outragous. And never really seemed to have a big inventory. Pretty much delt with a order on demand basis and was good about getting things there for his customers in about a weeks time or less in some cases. Hopefully will get ahold of someone who knows what happened soon. I know a lot of officers miss his shop and buying guns from him. But oh well...there are good deals around, just a matter of what specifically looking for and convincing the dealer why he/she should be willing to offer a more reasonable price. Thanks for the response akapennypincher. :) Always nice to read your responses since they always seem to be pretty good. :)

10. mikeb9550

mikeb9550

I seen it posted somewhere else that the dealer cost on pretty much all models is $433.00 . I ended up buying a G26 on Gunbrokers.com for 469.00 w/shipping. I wanted to buy locally but all the dealers wanted $560.00 + tax. That was way too much of a mark up for me. I wanted to support my range and buy it there but he to would not budge. I told him I would give him $499.00 + tax and he looked at me like I was crazy. I figured that was a fair price because it was the cheapest I found about 1 hour away and he even had them marked that price a couple of weeks ago for Glock Day (mabe Glock was giving him a discount or rebate). I guess a $50.00 profit wasnt enough so I took my business elsewhere. Cant say I didnt try. I work too hard just to give it away.

11. accrarms

accrarms Tupperware Kid

I bought a Glock 23 from a local gun shop here (Greensboro) he has almost every model priced at $465-$485 I believe I got a good price. The shop is my favorite stop now. The service was the best I ever had. They even installed Meprolights for $85. I will do all my business including transfers with only this shop because of the service. The name of the shop is Arringtons Police Distributors. If anyone is in the market for a firearm and lives in NC please give this shop your business I don,t want him to ever close because of lack of business thier that good.

12. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Well, if you are in the DFW area, Oshman's is going $50 off on all Glocks in stock until 2/26.

13. loki1701

loki1701 Earthling

My local "dealer" on 4 Glocks has been GlockTalk. Good service and friendly people.:)

Locally, in MA, it's really a crapshoot. You gotta look real hard, but you will find a deal eventually.

14. wayne5plus1

wayne5plus1 Marketing Guy

local gunshops in corpus christi, tx, run $550+...in houston i have seen them $499+...and at the gunshows...$449+

15. pcollins

pcollins

There is a Dealer in my area that has prices marked on his Glocks in the 550+ to 600+ range. I think I am invisible, every time I walk into the store I am ignored. Last time I stood at the counter looking at the Glocks and he would not give me the time of day, I left after 15 min. He just talked BS to some sales rep. If some one in the Tampa bay area knows a good dealer with good pricing please let me know.

16. anotherlefty

anotherlefty

Any of your GlockTalkers in Michigan can feel free to contact me for very competitive pricing.

centennial@arenet.net

17. Rusty Jr

Rusty Jr

The best deal in the Atlanta area that I found was from Shuler's Gun Room in Gainesville, GA. Got a new G32 for $469 + tax ($501 out the door). It's local for me, but you can find them on Gunsamerica.com too.
    Most other dealers in the Atlanta Metro want $489-529.

18. rOOsternut

rOOsternut

The shop i've been going to since i was old enough to buy a hand gun Glock 9mm's excluding longslides $439+tax.Glock.40's&.357's excluding longslides $449+tax.Glock 10mm&45's excluding the G36 $479+tax.:)