close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Innovations Would You Like To See in Gun Design?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gregoriev, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Gregoriev

Gregoriev

Hey guys, serious thread time. I've noticed that many people here seem to have a pretty firm grasp on how firearms actually work and most of the engineering principles that go into them.

I am graduating from a tech school soon, and I plan on entering into the business of firearms and firearm accessories. I plan to start with simple accessories first, since that requires less licensing and costs in general.

So, what do you guys want to see in the next generation of firearms?
    Do you like bulpup designs?
    Do you like longer/shorter barrels?
    Do you want guns that are shorter overall?
    Do you wish it was lighter/heavier?
    Do you want more/less polymer composites in the future?
    How important are ergonomics to you?
    Do you want your gun to feel like a custom made glove or do you just want it functional?
    Do you wish you had more capacity? How many bullets is too many?
    What are your thoughts on Drum magazines?

Most important, what are your perceptions and impressions of these things, ignoring any facts. Basically, how do these aspects of a guns make you feel?

I am designing new products, and I can design cool new things that satisfy my desires and tastes, but I am not everyone, and I want to see if I can gain some insight into what the general gun owning community thinks.

2. raven11

raven11

I like bullpups and especially my FN2000 i think the main reason it isn't more popular is the starting price is high - one website turns ak,Sks, saiga shotguns into bullpups and he constantly sells out of kits so the demand is there

The drum magazine I used with require a graphite coating which was messy or a wind up mechanism. Unless the ammo was cheap I didnt bother buying drums

Comfort is a priority when I buy handguns I passed on a very well priced ruger p90 because the gun just didn't work for me
    Everytime I take new shooters to the range and I ask them which gun they liked a Walther P99 or a Glock 19 gen4 everyone always says the Walther

3. Golddog

Golddog

Better sights on handguns.

4. Ragnar

Ragnar

Plasma.
    Gauss pistols.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

You need to design a new technology for firearms. I believe everything with current technology is already covered.

6. Gregoriev

Gregoriev

Interesting. I will make it a priority to study a Walther P99 for its ergonomics properties. They have books on the subject or ergonomics, but they were all made back in the 30s, when people were smaller, and so the Modulor Man is somewhat out of date.

A drum that requires a dry lubrucant to work properly sounds like a failed design to me. If you can't trust it to work after throwing it across a room, dragging it through the mud, and pissing on it to clean it off, it's a bad design IMO.

Anyone have thoughts on loading drum mags? Do you think it takes too long to pop them in the top? Would you prefer the open the back and dump the bullets in design AKA the chinese AK drum mag design?

I'll have to look into those bulpup design kits. Most of them don't look that good to me, especially that polymer AK one.

FN2000 has some nice ergonomic qualities. Price is quite steep IMO, but that's likely just early adopter pricing. Same reason the first iphones cost 600 bucks.

How do you guys feel about materials choice and corrosion resistance? There are certain alloys of steel out there that never corrode or break down even at very high temperatures and while exposed to highly corrosive chemicals. Would you want a barrel made of that? It's kinda pricey because nobody buys the stuff in large quantities, but it exists. They planned to use it in the next generation of nuclear reactors.

7. Leigh

Leigh

Unless 100% ambi in operation, I think bullpups suffer.
    I think the future belongs to lighter but extremely durable polymer/plastics/alloys.

Prior to the AR-15/M-16 just how much plastic and aluminum did you find in firearms? Next to none.
    Until S&W Model 60 and Ruger's Mini-14 offered in stainless steel, how many did you see?
    Next to none.
    New calibers. perhaps?
    Of course, for every .357 SIG and .40 S&W there is at least one 9mm rimmed, Mach 2, or .32 H&R magnum that never found favor for a variety of reasons.

8. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

9. Leigh

Leigh

Drum mags?
    Been around 100 years and still pretty specialized in the big scheme of things.
    They are not viable (nor legal) for harvesting game animals.
    Fun at the range? Sure!
    Practical from a non-combatant standpoint?
    Not at all.

10. NavyMSU

NavyMSU

Some smaller brands have lowered the barrel of their revolvers to create a more linear recoil. The closer the barrel lines up with the centerline of the shooters arm, the less vertical recoil due to less force on the wrist (instead of the muzzle flipping upwards).

Some carbine makers are experimenting with something similar.

Spend some time considering how to apply this physics concept to a semi-auto pistol without the extra mechanics like the Kriss Vector. Which has more moving parts and more room for failure.

Or get some electronics guys from your tech school and work on a head mounted display and RSA camera (instead of laser), with infrared flashlight for night vision. That would be an awesome accessory, but shooting around corners would still require the shooters hands to be exposed.

11. Leigh

Leigh

How about creating a caseless round like the system that H&K struggled with 30+ years ago?
    That would be innovative...expensive perhaps. but innovative.

12. Leigh

Leigh

As for "shorter" OA length of firearms. manufacturers are still regulated by BATFE....and no, you won't see that disappear in your lifetime.
    I'm racking my brain but still coming back to smaller and lighter (handguns and accessories).
    For example, I owned one of the first Aimpoint's...it was as big as a rfile scope and used existing light to power it. Primitive by today's optics.
    Remeber lasers in the early 1980's?
    Same thing...HUGE tube bodies and minimal output.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  13. Gregoriev

Gregoriev

For the ambidextrous operation requirement, do people really switch to their off hand often? Under what circumstances do you believe this happens, and more importantly, how important is this feature to you personally?

Agreed. Lighter more durable polymers are the future, only concern I have is that, at least in handguns, the gun can be made too light. Without that mass, the recoil is greater, and it may hurt to shoot.

As a startup, my primary market is the civilian one. It has to be fun to use at the range, otherwise nobody will want one. Speaking of hunting, any innovations you'd like to see for hunting rifles? The entire class of hunting rifles seems a little stuffy and stagnant to me, but I think least common denominator laws cause that mainly.

I like your style. Taking the problem to the first fundamentals is what I am trying to do here. I've shot revolvers before, and I noticed that they did indeed seem to have more muzzle climb recoil than an automatic. I will have to look into the fundamental physics and how they apply to the motion of the gun when it recoils.

I like the camera thing. People have worked on it before, but I've never seen one that was for sale to civilians for an price anyone would want to pay. It's a neat gadget, but seems like something more for a niche market.

As for length, I meant having the gun be 26.5 inches OA with a 20 inch barrel. People think that a longer barrel means the gun is more accurate. I tend to agree, though I haven't done any ballistics testing myself to prove this point. Many manufacturers create these short stubby things with the shortest barrel they can legally use, and it just doesn't feel right to me in my hands.

14. HexHead

HexHead

No, the first iPhones cost $599 because they weren't subsidized by AT&T. If you try and buy an iPhone 4S today without it being subsidized with a two year contract, it'll still cost $599, $699 or $799 depending on memory capacity.

15. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I like ambi because I teach my friends to shoot using my guns.

I want better ergonomics. It's like fashion for firearms, but useful.

And I want the thing quiet without making it longer.

:supergrin:

Mrs.Cicero

16. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

List of things I'd love to see:

Bullpup trigger that doesn't suck.
    Truly Ambi rifle (preferably with bottom ejection and a box mag)
    A 30+ round AR mag that tucks in closer to the gun. I like the capacity, but the big mags sticking down seem to get in the way for me. If you can make a 30 rounder the size of a 20 rd mag, I'd snap them up.

17. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I just don't want them to be Jam-O-Matics.

18. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Triggers that break like a glass rod with no creep, slop, grit, or overtravel in bullpup designs.

Programmable ammo that costs $1.50/round (in 2011 dollars...)

Optics that dynamically adjust magnification based on target distance.

19. heliguy

heliguy

The one thing I've always wanted is a short barrel rifle with no recoil.....KRISS made it and I bought it!!!

20. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

While I think this might be getting a little ambitious, I honestly don't understand why bullpup triggers are so awful. Admittedly, I haven't cracked one open, but I don't see why you couldn't use something like the trigger connector on a GLOCK, only longer. Sure, it's no golden-age Colt revolver trigger, but I imagine it would be miles ahead of what they're like now.