What, if any, gain of .357 Sig over .40 S&W

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by newglocker10mm, Nov 24, 2019.

1. user1

user1 Millennium Member

what ever you say pods. your statements referenced "looking at info online", a recent bug in wherever you get your bugs; the "caliber" of specific "pistol barrels", and the cost of ammunition.... ? PS. If you think about it; it may take just a bit more work to swap barrels, unless all you want is to feel and/or hear it go BANG ! .... Hang in there.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  2. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Don't know what contribution you're trying to make to the thread. I'll state it again. In order to change a Sig P series chambered in 40 S&W to a chambering of 357 Sig, all that is required is a barrel swap that is chambered in the respective caliber. Magazines, extractors and other applicable parts are the same and need no other conversions. As far as the cost of ammunition, it is not a major cause of concern for me.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1

I prefered a 40sw since '90 or '91 and loaded practice ammo soon after . Back in the early days corbon had maybe the best loads but I never did take to the 180gr stuff so it was 165gr then 150 and 155gr when they could be bought ready to shoot in the 1200fps+ loads back around ,, I'm not sure , 1995 , '98 ! I shot these in a firestar M40 in '91 then swapped for the heavy slide version a couple years later .

Anyhow I still load practice ammo with a coated swc at 1260fps but since the small boutique ammo companies have had 1300fps +155gr GD that's been my preferred carry ammo for the last 16 years I think . My tp40 kahr could average 1321fps with early underwood ammo and georgia arms is a honest 1300fps + also .. I tried underwood ammo 135gr nosler hp but only chronied it and 1440fps fps is real and still have 40 rounds of it .

The down side of the 357sig is its at its best with a 124/125gr bullet .

I have killed a couple deer for camp meat that showed up under my climbing stand and both with a underwood GD 155gr load passed thru with about 17" of tissues damage damaged the heart and lung , one hit a rib exiting and glanced off the edge of the spine braking it and passed thru a lung , one deer dropped about 60 feet out and the other dropped where it was .

The tp40 kahr had a tight well supported chamber and was my EDC for maybe 10+ years and is rather snappy and very thin so it can be a handful to control quicker than most other pistols but so is a little cm9 kahr . My p320 compact 40sw has been on my hip for most of the last 4 years and 10 months and is slightly slower at 1318fps but way easier to shoot more rounds from at a time be for taking a break thats to the wider grip and extra weight but I have a hard time feeling recoil differences between hot 155gr 40 load and a 357sig or 9mm when handguns are the same like with a p320 compact .

I just know the hotter 40sw loads can surpass anything the best 357sig loads can .

Teecher45 likes this.
  4. Teecher45

Teecher45

My favorite Dr. Roberts quote is, after he spent countless hours researching data for the .357 sig, “What’s the point of this cartridge?”

Yeah, that’s be better data, but it’s all about money. So as long as some people believe in “magical bullets” and buy into the hype, they’ll keep publishing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    AdamRodgers likes this.
  5. Teecher45

Teecher45

Well, this thread has drifted all over the place.
    But, I answered the OP’s question way back on post #14.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  6. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

San Diego, G23-3, limited to Gen 3. Don't ask.
    Is Dr. Roberts a dentist or chiropractor? Or, is he a medical doctor?
    Or, does he have some kind of doctorate degree? If so, what discipline?

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

7. Teecher45

Teecher45

I seem to have come to the same conclusion.
    The .40 outperforms the sig round in every apples to apples test I’ve seen, using SD rounds.
    The .45 is a very viable round, especially the 230 gr. HST round out of a 5” barrel. But, lugging one of those around just isn’t for me.
    The 9mm and sig round seems to perform about equally.
    The .40 seems to penetrate more and expand better.

In the near future I can see the sig round in a downward spiral. Federal has already dropped it from their HST line.

With the .40 you get a little better performance.
    With the 9mm you get a little better capacity and a little better speed with follow up shots.
    Pick what you like and train often.

8. Teecher45

Teecher45

A perfect example of what we’re talking about.
    No knowledge of data, just feelings.

You should google him and his findings. If you keep an open mind you may just learn something.

9. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers 9mm, putting in work since 1902 !

Yup, he has said that a time or two and p**sed some folks off some kind of bad. I used to jump on the speed bandwagon myself but that changed once I started seeing with my on eyes pistols (Duty Calibers) poke hole's I stopped, backtracked and started a new. I had to do that also with my training, had my rear handed to me on a platter in my first Force on Force class and had to switch up some stuff there also.

A LOT of my friends gave me hell about carrying a 9mm back in the late 90's, I didn't care then, I don't care now. I like my 9mm, 38 Supers, and couple 45's and it is only for nostalgic reasons I keep the 38 Supers & 45 ACP's. :dunno:

Now my Revolver Calibers, that is a different story and a true addiction. ;)

Teecher45 likes this.
  10. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

San Diego, G23-3, limited to Gen 3. Don't ask.
    I asked a simple question, it has nothing to do with feelings.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

11. AdamRodgers

I'm on my cellphone, and like I admit my mistakes regarding weapons, I will admit I have no durn clue how to post links on this.

Google him, or go to PF.com, Pistol Forum. Com and go the ammunition section. His credentials and credibility will speak for itself.

It is a good place to learn about Ballistics. I lurk over there and listen, and don't talk much, Good Lord gave me 2 eyes, 2 ears, and 1 mouth, maybe I need to look and listen twice and as much as I speak and that goes for hear as well as there. ;)

Damned good information tho.:cheers:

Teecher45 likes this.
  12. Teecher45

Teecher45

I was the opposite. I was a big .45 guy. Because they didn’t make a .46.
    After researching a lot, and talking to a lot of people, I figured out I could get better performance and more capacity out of a G-27 than the G-30 I had previously been carrying.
    And, I actually pack it much more often.
    I actually used to give one of my old friends grief about carrying a 9mm, years ago.
    Love and learn.
    Full-circle I guess...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    AdamRodgers likes this.
  13. AdamRodgers

The whole 9mm thing with me started with my Dad & Browning High Powers, the speed thing came with the 38 Super's in the 1911 Commanders Daddy had and the 357 and 44 Magnum Revolvers.

Reckon with me it was stick with what you understood. I had folks look a me sideways whenever I would tell them the 1911 I was carrying was not a 45, it was a 38 Super. "What the hell is that"? :animlol:

Sorta a old timed 357 Sig :eek:

Teecher45 likes this.
  14. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

You don't believe what we have been telling you about the 357 Sig then don't buy one just that simple.

I have both the .40 and 357 Sig calibers but I'm not obsessed over the ballistic differences between the two, I'm glad to have both.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Bus007 and dpadams6 like this.
  15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

If you look at production Sig P226 series guns. The sights are different between the 40 and the 357. Expect the POI to not be the same between your barrels.

The 9mm and the 357 are the same.

newglocker10mm likes this.
  16. legalsten

legalsten

2012-13 the only ammo on the shelf here was 357 Sig and 45 GAP . Not much to pick from but it was there . The Gap is no longer in any store around here that I know of .

It would not hurt to have a barrel on hand .

Railsplitter likes this.
  17. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

2012-13 taught us that the two most popular calibers the 9mm and .22 ammo were the first to disappear off the shelves and the last to reappear. In the stores I watched the .45 ACP and GAP were the last to go.

This reversed the logic that because the 9mm was so popular ammo could always be found but in reality it's popularity was what made it scarce.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  18. nursetim

nursetim

NC Highway Patrol uses the 357sig in the Sig P226 platform.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  19. legalsten

legalsten

I think Tennessee state troopers and Wildlife still use it or at least they did . Years ago I saw a Tennessee state marked 31 for sale and just didn't have the money at the time .

20. hardluk1

hardluk1

teecher45 I'm not against a 45 or 9mm as I have a real nice lw commander that I will carry at times not around BBQ events ! But there are times when a physically smaller handgun is needed like my cm9 kahr or physically smaller s&w 669 but 147gr HST is in them also . Our small sheriffs department has carried 357sig in glucks for years but a few officers wish they had a choice but it serves most needs well . There are also so handguns I would not fire my preferred hot 40 sw ammo in do to less than well supported chambers . It easy to tell older glock 40sw from any thing else by eye sight . Hey non of the typical defensive cartidges are gar-O-teed one shot man stoppers so if all I had to fire in a 40 was 180gr bullet at standard velocity let it be a HST or new range t series . But for now I have about enough underwood and GA HP ammo to last his ole man for some years and some hst 40sw ammo set aside for family members along with hst in several other calibers .

Teecher45 likes this.