What, if any, gain of .357 Sig over .40 S&W

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by newglocker10mm, Nov 24, 2019.

1. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

As most know, I'm a big fan of Sig P series and own two 229's and a 226 in .40. But lately have had a bug for .357 Sig. Looking at info online, I can't really see any benefit to having a barrel for both. Ammo cost, in my part of the country, is pretty negligible and online even less. But I want to hear from the people who have had and used both.

2. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I know why I've never made the move, but would like to read some opinions.
    Tag for info, but being GT, it could be interesting.

Teecher45 likes this.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle

cc1970, jr24, Teecher45 and 2 others like this.
  4. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Paul is pretty good at explaing things. I like his presentations, but YMMV.

1L26, Joshhtn, nursetim and 1 other person like this.
  5. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

^^^ I agree with this. Sig is better, but not really enough better

mc1911 and Borg Warner like this.
  6. BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

I may convert one of my .40s just because, but I’m not about to ditch 9mm as primary carry.

Ghost doctor likes this.
  7. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Forgot to add ... Because of its bottle neck design the 357 sig is inherently a more reliable feeding and extracting round ... No small thing

8. AnthonyC

AnthonyC

I have .40 and .357 barrels for my P250 compact and subcompact and I seem to be more accurate with the .357 SIG...flatter shooting I guess. Both are fun to shoot and are good self defense rounds.

9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

What I like best about the 357 Sig is that beyond what the "experts" say and beyond what jello testing shows, the 357 sig in it's best loadings comes very close to duplicating the ballistics of the 125 grain 357 Magnum which had consistently good performance in a large number of actual street shootings.

That said, the 40 S&W did well in the real world too, in it's ten years of Law enforcement duty. But having shot both in my G23, I prefer the 40 because for some reason I shoot it better, and I also like the reduced muzzle blast of the 40 and would never want to shoot the 357 Sig indoors in close quarters.

However, in the shooting I've done with the 357 Sig at ranges over 50 yards, it seemed like it had a slight accuracy edge over the 40 and might be a better cartridge for long range shooting.

I think that if you're serious about firearms and ballistics it doesn't hurt to broaden your knowledge base by owning and gaining experience with as many firearms as you can afford.

10or45, Nanuk, rfd339 and 9 others like this.
  10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Some people are 9mm projectile fanatics. 9mm Sig moves one close to .357 mag velocity. Its an autoloader version of the revolver.

I have no interest in it as it doesn't fit my requirements.

11. Lil

Lil

I'm with you on that. Difference between the two - yes. Benefit - no. If you're looking for an undeniable benefit (more hp), grab your 10mm.

12. DrewBone

DrewBone

For everything there's a reason, and for every reason there's a thing.

First off, why does there always have to be a gain...over anything??

Secondly, if splitting power hairs were as important as some people make it out to be, what of the people who feel confident enough carrying a Glock 42 in .380acp for their own protection - instead of a Glock 29 in 10mm? Are these people out of their minds, naive, or just stunod? Maybe they don't take things seriously enough and should be carrying cellphones instead of firearms? Meh. Debates like this are what's stunod, sorry.

13. 1canvas

1canvas

When trying to compare with jell or on paper you won’t see a lot of difference and it gets more confusing when you have so many different loadings of each. I’ve shot a lot of animals with service calibers and the 125 HST makes a mighty nasty wound. From what I have seen I am convinced velocity matters in all calibers.
    For my 23 I use the 180grn HST in the winter but in warmer months I carry the Sig. I shoot the Sig a little better but I like the larger caliber for heavy clothing.

14. Teecher45

Teecher45

I once bought a G-27 just so I could purchase a 32 barrel for it. OEM for carry, .357 for woods. Perfect, I thought. I even had Santa bring me the 32 barrel.

Then I started researching and found it just isn’t there.

In most premium loadings the 9mm is the sig round’s equal. In some loadings the .40 is better at penetration and expansion than both.
    Federal has dropped the 125 gr. HST load, the sig round is in a downward spiral and Federal sees it.

If you’re planning on shooting aluminum or pine boards with FMJ rounds, then have at it.
    If you’re thinking premium HP’s for defense, the .40 is better and the 9mm is really close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers likes this.
  15. fredj338

fredj338

Just buy w barrel. I like the 357sig. I dont think its better just diff. I find recoil a bit less, but blast is quite a bit more.

16. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Unreal
    Unreal, so 200fps and 200 ft lbs is equal? Must teach differently where you are, my math shows a BIG difference. 357 is far superior to any 9 load out there, period. 40 surpasses 9 easily, period. 9 is a joke 1 huge failure away from beung the darling it is now. And then itll be how great is the 40, as the weak minded pile in yet another bandwagon.

Road Dog, Nanuk and dpadams6 like this.
  17. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Not a huge difference between 357sig and 40 when comparing mainstream JHP loads produced by manufacturers such as Speer or Federal. But if you're looking for a hot woods load you can get +600 ft lbs in 357sig. So if you're in the woods, and brown bears are not around, this is a good choice.

18. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Whatever we would argue about 9 vs 40 vs 357 if you can have the flexibility of being able to reliably shoot another round for just a barrel, 40/357 makes a lotta' sense

It wouldn't take much for a political change to occur and all the "usual" rounds dry up. And everyone stop shooting because they don't want to deplete their supply

In that case 357 Sig would likely be one of the few rounds available for purchase

19. KenB22

KenB22

There is a story in Lucky Gunner, that informal testing revealed that lighter, faster bullets had more bullet drop over 100 yards than heavier bullets. The 357 Sig was the only one where they both had to aim over the gel block at 100 yards to get hits. So...I’m not persuaded the “flatter shooting” argument is true for .357 sig.

R_P_K_ likes this.
  20. fredj338

fredj338

The flat shooting argument for the 357sig is pretty moot. Everything shoots about the same to 50y, beyond that the 357sig does have a slight advantage but consider many cant hit poop at 25y, shooting out at 100y, yeah who cares how flat it shoots? At 100y a 124gr 9mm +p drops about 7", the 125gr 357sig about 4". Maybe 1% of handgun shooters could actually hold the 3" diff at 100y.

Neldon, rogn and OXMYX like this.