What I just found out about Glock magazines

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mteagle1, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mteagle1

mteagle1

I have several G22 magazines that I bought used that were supposed to be reconditioned magazines. These are all LEO/Gov use only from the Klinton ban days and do not drop free. When I called Glock Technical Services I was told magazines are only warrantied for one year and since they are 1994 magazines there was nothing he could do. :steamed:

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

F.Y.I., Glock has never advertised magazines as being drop free. Glock made NFML magazines and, since about 1992, FML magazines. Clinton Era magazines are all FML.

I consider pistol magazines in the same light as spark plugs and tires--expendable. You can find brand new factory magazines on the internet in the $20.00 price range.

3. tango44

tango44

First time that I ever heard that, I have magazines older than that and just send it back to Glock to rebuilt and most of the time they send me new ones for free.

4. Leetuser

Leetuser

You can send your magazines back to glock to have them rebuilt? I have three LEO/Gov marked mags i got with a G23 Police officer trade in. Does Glock charge for this service?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. JBP55

JBP55

I was told the same thing several years ago about a bad magazine. I tossed it and bought a few dozen new ones.

6. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I'm not sure what you wanted Glock to do about your known used purchase magazines, but just look down the inside of the tube. If they are metal lined all the way around, I bet they are drop free and you just need to press the magazine release harder. If they are only metal lined on three sides, you now know you didn't ask the right questions before buying. Sometimes, "drop free" magazines don't drop free because they are dirty or have a sticker on them. Try removing any stickers and clean the outside of the magazine body with a very light coat of oil left on them.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

:brickwall: All Restricted LEO/Military magazines are FML magazines. All were manufactured from 9/1994 through 9/2004, long after the NFML magazines were discontinued by Glock.

8. hoffy

hoffy

I have some 40 cal LEO mags that drop free, I cant even remember where I got them. I remember when the first G-17s came out and one had to pull the mag out, not that big a deal , but I uesd to shoot a lot of heel catch guns in friendly matches and got prety good at stripping a mag out. You could probabl find smeone around here that would buy them if it bothers you that much. I assume they feed alright. Don't know about the 40s but the tell on 9mm mags was the non drop free has a rounded notch at the top/rear of mag, and the drop free ones were squared off .

9. mteagle1

mteagle1

Yes they are full metal lined. NO they will not release using an Lone Wolf competition extended mag release. With the slide locked open it is necessary to reach into the ejection port and press down on the magazine. These 8 are now range mags and I have taken them apart and tied a string to the spring and put the floor plate back on. They were wiped with silicon as the first item trying to make them work.

10. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Ah.......you're using an aftermarket mag release? :faint:

I was once told by a Glock armorer when I asked about sticking FML mags to strip them down to the tube and gently squeeze them just a bit in a vise. BTW, he also said, as Danny pointed out, FML mags were never advertised by Glock as drop-free. Use thin pieces of wood that run the full length and width of the mag to avoid marring the mags and to provide an even distribution of force. You don't want to crush them, just give them a light squeeze like a........oh nevermind. Just don't crush them. I've done it once or twice and it worked OK. I've also read around here that wiping the outside with armorall helps, but I don't like to do that because it makes the mag slippery.

11. tango44

tango44

Yes you can send your mags to Glock with a letter indicating the problems and Glock will rebuild or replace the mags free of charge.

12. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

When you send them in, make sure you tell them you're using an aftermarket mag release! :whistling:

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

Like Danny has said. and Glock never called them "drop free" magazines. I'm not sure how that story got started, maybe internet gossip, like here, maybe.:snoopy:

14. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

'Nuff said.

15. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Who cares if Glock ever advertised any magazines as drop free? Fact of the matter is, they did in fact design their early mags to not drop free, and they later redesigned their magazines to drop free at the request of the US gun market.

Nobody asked anything about the drop free terminology.

16. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

OEM mags are unparalleled in quality. Whether they work with an aftermarket part is moot. Whether an aftermarket part works with stock glock equipment is the question. Mags are mags. Inexpensive, long lasting, but expendable equipment that must be replaced periodically. This is nothing new.

17. capecodcowboy

capecodcowboy

+1 :supergrin: