What Haunts You?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kawabuggy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Likewise, I wanna say that looking at my retirement funds, I wish I d not squandered a fortune when going on pleasure voyages in my 20s.

But that's more a practical concern to me rather than a "haunting"

Sherlock913 likes this.
  2. 1bigK

1bigK

What haunts me? A few things that I have seen while working as a scrub tech in the OR have always stayed with me. In the last year or so I have started to have some very vivid and realistic dreams, the kind that sometimes even make sense, and you wake up remembering. And some of those have come from my days in the OR. One in particular was enough that it woke me before it was time, and left me unsettled and disturbed, and that was all she wrote for sleeping that night. The memory of that dream stayed with me for a couple of days, but it has receded back into its' hole, and I hope that it stays there.

Funny thing about those that my memory has decided to hold onto, they aren't of any of the horrific traumas that I have seen, and there were some real doozies in that pile. But each of those events that my memory has held onto, most of them have had a lasting affect on who I am to this day.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020

3. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Right now having to go clean the litter box

n2g and 1bigK like this.
  4. Ollies930

Ollies930

1) Collecting enough repeat injuries that I will not be able to continue working out and getting fat and sedentiary in my old age
    2) Having to deal with stupid, intolerant people without any common sense
    3) The fact that I never learned Mandarin in case Trump does not win this election (just kidding)

Sherlock913 likes this.
  5. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

I'm having dreams of my deceased friends and relatives. It's either meds or I'm getting close to being in their part of the dreams. Either way, I'm ok.

Sherlock913, Rotn1, 8X8 and 3 others like this.
  6. n2g

n2g Georgia gal

I wouldn't say any particular thing haunts me, but of course I regret all the bad and unwise things I've done. I believe through grace and faith I will be forgiven. I've also experienced major hurts from loved ones that resulted in very unhappy days, but dwelling on them just makes today unhappy, too, and they cost enough days in the past. Let it go. No need to give them today, too. I try to focus on the positive and be the best person I can be today. We all have some serious bumps in the road but we are also very blessed in so many ways, many of which we just take for granted without a thought.

BT, DT too, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I still second-guess myself at times; sometimes thinking I shouldn't have done it then and sometimes thinking I waited too long. Animals are so innocent and vulnerable, many just at our mercy. And too many people are far from merciful to them. I still miss my sweet boy but I believe he is with the Lord and that is my comfort. That is my comfort when a person I love dies, too.

I'm also thinking his shaking might have been connected to whatever physical condition he had that made it best to have him put to sleep. I'm sure it was heart breaking to you, though. He was blessed to have a caring master.

I believe they'll be there, too. I'm not certain whether animals will be concerned with us or we with them in heaven, but maybe so. Regardless, we'll all be content for sure. I do believe we and they will be praising Christ. To your excellent references I would add Rev. 5:13.

Some say "every creature" in that passage only refers to humans, but I don't think so. The Greek "ktisma" is used only one other time in the Bible, in I Tim 4:4, and the context of that passage obviously refers to animals.

There are other passages that demonstrate the care God has for animals, but that might be straying off-topic for this thread. I might PM you to discuss further.

And @Hannie: For my age, I guess I don't have very many wrinkles (yet), but I have a few, and that frosted hair I was never brave enough to do is finally frosting itself. :) I predict you'll survive any you get later on just fine and probably put some younger women to shame. In the grand scheme of things, a few wrinkles aren't very important by that age, and there's always cosmetic surgery. No worries!

Vote Trump/Republican 2020.

7. Deltic

Deltic

Prepare for that day and it won't be as bad as it could be. Have your finances in order. You might not make as much in the future. Invest what you can. Have some training for your planned future career. If you stay in fashion would it be as a photographer, agent, designer or something else? Change is inevitable, how well you deal with it is up to you.
    Young guys go through just about the opposite problem. They are a dime a dozen and pretty much disposable. They may or may not gain status as they get older.

Sherlock913, 8X8, n2g and 1 other person like this.
  8. 1bigK

1bigK

Scary indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherlock913 likes this.
  9. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Some mean-spirited neighborhood crap i did in grade school. I thought it was funny, it wasnt.

Sherlock913, n2g, 1L26 and 3 others like this.
  10. Aurora

Aurora

I missed out on a chance to get a sex change. Fullclip and G30SF/F-250 told me I should go ahead with it but I didn't listen. Now, all I can do is dream.

Since I'm also obsessed with keeping my good looks, I'll pass along a secret.......

I was reading an interview with an older actress (I forgot who). She said her secret to keeping her looks in later years was keep her face moisturized. Wrinkles are slow to form in such an environment.

V.

11. GasTiresOil

GasTiresOil

A few things.

my work partner got a hair across his ass one day and decided he wanted to ride alone. 5 hours later he was in a running gun battle with an armed robber.

I turned down an offer to take a ride on a WW2 era bomber. It crashed and people died.

As a 17 year old kid at my friends high school graduation, his neighbor hung out with us. He was about 5 years younger. He grew up to be one of the most notorious mass murderers in recent history.

Sherlock913 and Rotn1 like this.
  12. GWG19

GWG19

A year ago our dog had to have emergency surgery for a turned stomach. She passed away due to complications from the surgery. She was a Chow and Not trusting of Vets.
    We where on the way to visit her when she passed. Not being there for her when she passed is what haunts me.

Rotn1 and Current Resident like this.
  13. Lucnik

Lucnik

Being to angry with my mother to say goodbye while she was dying and burying here in an unmarked grave. Hurting the family that loves me.

Sherlock913 and Von Hayes like this.
  14. Finestkind

Finestkind

The choices I have made that have me at this point in my life. Some have been great but several have had serious consequences.

Finestkind

Sherlock913 likes this.
  15. lawandorder

lawandorder

The shame and regret of my sins haunt me.

Sherlock913, light-switch and BradD like this.
  16. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

I lost a good job, well a career really over nothing, it's been about 8.5 years ago. It paid well and I worked hard over several years to get it, I messed up one night and ended up getting fired, which didn't mean I didn't have a job anymore, only just temporarily. I made the mistake of trusting that my union was going to make it right and really they didn't even do anything and by the time I realized it, it was too late and I basically forfeited my job.

To add insult to injury it turns out that I could have appealed with the labor board afterwards but again, by the time I figured this out, it was too late. It was basically the perfect storm of unlikely events and it cost me. It doesn't really haunt me anymore, but for a long time it did and I still wonder about it.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  17. Current Resident

Current Resident

The circumstances in which my mother passed. She died in a nursing home alone. The things that lead up to and after her death with my siblings and their children.

Though they were all adults at the time, very few took time to go and see her for whatever Bullshot reason.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  18. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

My grandmother, who I was close with passed in July ‘06 of ALS. In late June of that year she went to the beach with the family for the last time. She loved the ocean and was well aware it was her last trip.

I hadn’t gone to the beach with the family since ‘99 and haven’t been since. Not even in 2006...I’d give anything to go back and make my then 24-yr old selfish a*% go on that trip.

That’s the one thing that really haunts me.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  19. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

The biggest thing that bothers me is I can't figure out why I drive on a parkway, but I park on a driveway.

How nutz is that ?

Rotn1 and ChuckUles like this.
  20. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

A lady named "Pat" haunts me. I just couldn't get interested in her romantically even though we spent a lot of time together. We went to an outdoor Richard Marx concert, it was pouring rain, so we spent the concert under a tarp together. Great lady! She was tall, slender, with a curly, afro type hairdo and some time later, I just walked away. Many years passed and I see that we probably would have been good together! Yup...... got regrets.

Pat moved to Colorado and I came to Texas, but every time I hear a Richard Marx song, she comes to mind.

Flash

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020