Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, anyone know what happened to the Katrina FEMA Trailers? Not old pics from a couple years ago, but anyone know what FEMA ended up doing with them? Just curious.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
Lotsa folks bought them dirt cheap at auction and so forth. You see them around here from time to time. No decals.

·
It ain't over
8,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
they were bought up and sold around the country. Lots of folks around here bought them for $2-4K a piece and camp in them. Not bad for a 30ft travel trailer. Alot of them still had plastic on the carpets.... I wanted to buy one, but I don't own a vehicle big enough to tow them. You can still find them at RV and car dealerships around the country for sale dirt cheap.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the Government stopped selling them due to the formaldehyde in the building materials.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Didn't most of em have very few if any windows, if so there are a couple of em here on a used car lot.
Correct. No slide-outs and only 1 or 2 windows per side.

Around here (and toward central Arkansas), there are dealers with literally acres of the these trailers still parked for sale.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Of the 25,000 that FEMA had delivered to Hope, AK and never made it to NO, most were sold for penny’s on the dollar last year.

They all had rotted and were full of mold. All of them. One of our plants adjoins that property.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Of the 25,000 that FEMA had delivered to Hope, AK and never made it to NO, most were sold for penny’s on the dollar last year.

They all had rotted and were full of mold. All of them. One of our plants adjoins that property.
That sucks. The ones that hit eastern KY were practically brand new.

·
Simply Charming
4,883 Posts
The county next to mine (Elkhart County) is the "RV Capital of the World."

If the general public knew how most motorhomes/recreational vehicles/fifth wheels are made, and what they are made out of, not many would be sold each year.

I used to work for a warranty center that dealt heavily with RV warranty issues. I've seen these things built from the chassis up, and taken apart piece by piece. I wouldn't buy one.

Now take into account that these FEMA trailers were constructed hastily, under government contract, at a time when most of these companies had much more profitable projects underway.

How much time, care, or attention to detail/quality do you think went into them?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The company I used to work for got several at auction and used them for satellite offices. They had furniture in them when they got them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are about 70 of them for sale just down the road form me. From what I have heard, most are going to hunters who use them at their hunting leases.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts

I have some family in Hope. There are still thousands upon thousands out at the old proving grounds (airport), as far as you can see. My father in law bought a brand new 30 ft. camper that still had plastic on the carpets ect. and it didn't have any mold issues. I think he only paid a couple of thousand for it. My wife has a cousin who bought a couple of the 60 ft. mobile homes in kind of a two-for-one deal. She fixed them up a little and added a few things and resold them for a very good profit.

As far as the formaldehyde thing, any laminated building material such as OSB contains resin/glue made with formaldehyde. All mobile homes are made out of it. The roof of my house has it too. After a week or so of hot days, the gasses from the resin will vapor off and it will be fine. One a mobile home you just have to open the windows for a while when they are new to get rid of the formaldehyde gasses. It is totally safe, but of course the EPA designated the lot of them "contaminated" and didn't let them be used for Katrina. However, a year later they began selling them to the public. The whole thing was nothing but a government boondoggle.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I thought the Government stopped selling them due to the formaldehyde in the building materials.
I heard this also. Bad news if it is true.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts