What happened to my Power Pistol

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shepheard, Feb 21, 2010.

1. shepheard

shepheard

Last night I was reloading some 230FMJ 45 bullets with PP. I dumped the powder in my measure to notice the powder was dark on the bottom and very light colored at the top. I figured it was just the way I saw it through the measure. As I was chrging cases the first 15 came out the light color and measured at 6.4. When the darker stuff started to come out the same volume weighed a bit more. I know there is no way I mixed powders up. I only have the canister of powder on the bench that I 'm using and the rest is in a cabinet seperate from my bench. The powder looked the same just some was light grey and most was a lot darker. Last time I loaded for my 40 ( maybe a few weeks ago) I didn't notice anything like this. What gives?

2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

PP looks an awful lot like Bullseye except for the color. You might want to have an ex-wife or a ****bird brother-in-law test those rounds out for you while you wait in the car. Don't take out any extra life insurance on them before hand since that always raises suspicion.

3. kendric98

kendric98

You may not have mixed your poweders but that dosent meen somone else didnt. Every time i read one of these posts it remings me of the loading manual horror stories. :faint:

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Tell us about your storage location, conditions, etc.

I suspect the dryness and cold of Winter are your gremlins, but would like to hear about your storage conditions.

5. grenadier

grenadier

If I recall correctly, Power Pistol is a finely cut flake, and has a graphite powder coating on it.

It's unlikely, but possible, that the graphite powder coating has come off, and settled down towards the bottom of the dispenser. Again, I consider it very unlikely, since I've been using the same can of Power Pistol for years now, and have never seen the graphite coating flake off.

I would stop using that batch, and contact Alliant about this. They have great customer service, and will make things right.