Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 'fun money' coming and I'm looking to get maybe 2-3 new firearms, but do wish them to be a decent place to have money sit

The question isn't of guns made in the past, which I have a sense for what's "hot", but in your opinion, what new guns being sold now that will hold value and maybe appreciate a bit?

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
High end 1911s and Ruger #1s would be my picks for common guns. if you forget new S&W revolvers and Winchester 52s would be on my list also.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Nothing I can think of and we are in a deflationary period of firearm prices. If I had to pick something it would be a metal frame pistol with high quality parts but even then keeping up with inflation would probably be difficult. Future legislation changing the availability of certain firearms could also be a factor on what might happen.

I love firearms but future concerns about their value do not come into consideration for purchase. I consider them an investment in enjoyment and pride of ownership but there are far better vehicles for investing.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
That's a heck of a hypothetical question. Like asking what the most popular handgun is going to be in five years. All I can say is the Curio & Relic military gun's, rifles and handgun's, seem to be the only sure winners. Also the Chinese import's, AKS, SKS, and Norinco- Tokarev's both 7.62MM and 9MM appear to have doubled in value. Personal Example: S&W 1917 .45 ACP re-import, not original. Cost $137.50 1998. Today $900.00 if you can find one.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Quality stuff. Yes, high end 1911 can go up in value and they can hold their value but when you're exceeding the $5k mark your buyers dry up reasonably quick. If you have something rare there will be a market/buyer for it no doubt. I think if you just purchase very good quality stuff then you should be more than ok.

1911s are always a hit. Sometimes they're more in vogue than others but that's the market. If it's quality you shouldn't get hurt with it financially, generally speaking.

When you look at something like a Colt Python where the prices are hovering somewhere between $2,500 and $5,000 I don't know if they are such a deal anymore. I've got one so I'm happy but if you purchase one at say $3,500 realistically how much more value is in that gun... There are people on here that deal in the market for a host of reasons. I just don't think getting rich is one of them...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
BHP's and FALs (made in Belgium) have accelerated in value, along with hammer-firing pin -1 through -5 mod S&W revolvers. HKP7s round-out the quality, ain't ever gonna see 'em collectables that increase in value.

·
Premium Member
13,233 Posts
Guns from Pistolsmiths, such as Ted Yost (Estate Sporting Limited),
or Jason Burton (Heirloom Precision) etc., etc., will always hold their value, if you can get your hands on any, being strictly custom.

Who ever thought, older Glocks would sell for such prices!

It's hard to know. Pythons skyrocketed, because of a TV show, go figure. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If 'bac1023' see's this post, he would be an excellent source, to answer your question! ;)
Ah yes, he's def the Yoda on this stuff. Looking ahead thou takes a bit of crystal ball & luck.

Reactions: ZX14R

·
Banned
1,403 Posts
I suggest you consider several factors. Is there a chance the gun you’re purchasing may be banned. If so it will probably be grandfathered in which will increase its value.

Is it a gun that is very well made. There seems to be a movement towards lower quality parts by some manufacturers. I’ve heard LMT has dropped off a bit. I don’t know that, but I’ve heard it. If so the older guns should fetch a premium.

Is it a custom gun from a ‘name’. Custom engraving, hand built, stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.