close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Guns for Mars?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 50 Cent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Ok - the recent landing of Curiosity on Mars...ummm piqued my curiousity.

Its a step towards eventually landing and returning humans from Mars...maybe not in my lifetime...maybe not in my descendants lifetime. But its gonna happen. Heck, we could probably do it with the technology we have now, if we were prepared for a 5 yr 'round trip.

But does anyone think we would send UNARMED Astronauts to Mars? At best there might be long dead microbes there - but ya never know. Once you push that far against the envelope isn't it prudent to send them with SOME small arms..."just in case"?

I mean yeah...getting into a firefight with natives (however doubtful) or beings cruising thru from another spot in the Galaxy (more likely) would probably make the Alamo look like a picnic. But wouldn't that eventuality be thought of?

I know the Martian atmosphere is kinda thin on oxygen but doesn't enough exist at least for chemical based firearms ignition/firing? Its pretty dusty so I think I'd like an AK vs an M-16. :supergrin:

Any thoughts? Try and keep it to LIKELY weapons, not plasma bolt Hollywood fantasy nonsense.

2. arclight610

arclight610

Cartridges do not need atmospheric oxygen to ignite.

3. J_P

J_P

I wonder if a Handgun/Rifle would fire on Mars??? I dont see why not?? May someone can chime in with some info.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. VinnieD

VinnieD

Well modern smokeless powders already contain an oxydizing element, so they work just fine without atmosphere. But would you really want to be firing off rounds inside a thin shell containing a finite amount of atmosphere?

5. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I don't think there would be enough oxygen in the atmosphere to provide ignition, but I wonder if there's enough trapped inside the shell casing?

I bet it would do wonders for the ballistics too. Recoil management might be a problem with the lower gravity.

6. bmoore

bmoore

Arsenal SGL-21 and a Glock 20.

7. AngryPanda

AngryPanda Is he a troll?

I don't know, but I'm sure Mossberg is scrambling to come up with a "Mars Edition shotgun" maybe a 500 with red lettering and TWO chainsaw handles.

8. Altaris

Altaris

I would say None.

We still don't know what psychological effects the trip will have on the astronauts. Being cooped up in a small shuttle for 8 months with the same people could possibly mess with their minds. The last thing you would want is someone with access to a gun. Of course that person could open the door and kill everyone just as easily.

9. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Cartridges don't need atmospheric oxygen to ignite.

10. Altaris

Altaris

Maybe give them a crossbow or a spear gun like they use underwater. No need for oxygen or powder with those.

11. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

That's kind of falling into anti's thinking. If they go crazy on the trip, there's plenty of ways to kill someone in space. Tools, yanking oxygen lines, etc...

12. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Ignition wouldn't be a problem, because it's sealed. But it still has to burn in the barrel to propel the bullet. Would that work?

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The real question is why would you need a gun on Mars in the first place. Hell a compressed can of air and a dart would be more effective! Pfft! Torn suit... screwed occupant.

Better yet, CO2 .22 gun solves the ENTIRE problem and answers the question completely.

14. AngryPanda

AngryPanda Is he a troll?

I think they should bring a daisy red ryder and a nerf gun, for all the difference it would make.

15. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Yes. All a cartridge needs for ignition is built into it. How do you think Glocks fire underwater?

16. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Hah! Stupid Question...

Everyone knows the preferred guns on Mars are the Illudium PU-36 Space Modulator and the Acme Disintegrating Ray Pistol...

17. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I didn't think about it. Good call.

18. Alpine

Alpine

Too early to tell. It depends on the nature and number of life forms that need shooting. The only thing we know for sure is that scoped rifles will be required in that wide open landscape.

19. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

It doesn't have to burn in the barrel. The gunpowder burns in the cartridge in a couple thousandths of a second and the combustion gasses expand propelling the bullet out of the cartridge and down and out the barrel.

20. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Think of it for "peace of mind". Hell I don't even like to go to the corner store without my 642 - much less another planet in the wilderness. :shocked: