What GSSF Means to Me

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FillYerHands, Feb 12, 2010.

1. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

It was the GSSF that led me to Glock Talk in the first place, and this is the first forum I come to when I log on.

GSSF was the first nationally organized shooting sport I joined. I shot my first match in Dallas in 1995, and I've been hooked ever since.

I think what I love most about GSSF is the deceptive simplicity. I mean, the stages are all the same, wherever I shoot. But that means that I must concentrate on the fundamentals to do well. Any weakness at all is magnified, and only serves to point out that I cannot miss fast enough to win.

Then there is access. Access to armorers, to merchandise, to great shooters , and to other Glock lovers. One of my best memories was listening to Chris Edwards reminisce about everything from starting the GSSF to demonstrating Glocks for the FBI.

It is also a place for me to learn. I can watch others shoot, and I can ask questions of anybody there and get an answer.

One vivid memory was at Fort Benning, where we had members of the Army Marksmanship Unit who were the RO's. One of them (Sgt Sergeant, I kid you not) asked if I wanted some pointers. Are you kidding? Point away! He gave me two tips that have changed my whole game. I love it.

Of course, there is the fact that since 1995 I have won $100 twice, $50 once, a free two year membership extension, and a pistol. But while that is nice, the truth is I would shoot GSSF even if I won nothing. (Well, okay, I will insist on getting a Glock Annual Shoot pin . . . )

Thank you to all GSSF shooters who have crossed my path since 1995. I owe you a lot, and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Bravo! My only Ft. Benning match was in 2001.

3. tbyron

tbyron

I hope to build some memories when I go to my first match in July.

4. jdwatson

jdwatson

Great post. BTW, what were the two tips ? :-D

5. JonInWA

JonInWA

I totally agree. The skill-building, and the camaraderie inherent to every GSSF match I attend continue to make my attendance at as many of the Pacific Northwest GSSF matches as possible a major part of my annual competition schedule. While my primary competition venues are IDPA and steel plate competitions, I highly value GSSF, and find that all the competition venues compliment each other in terms of my shooting experiences and improvements.

Equally pleasurable has been Glock's committment and support to GSSF (and to the shooting sports in general) through the years. Yes, there's certainly a presumably quantifiable marketing advantage to it, but all of the Glock personnel that I've encountered in charge of it and/or in support of it are genuinely involved and supportive to both the shooters and the shooting community (and, of course, to the product).

Best, Jon