What grain in .45 & .9mm for range ammo?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Small Tony, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Small Tony

Small Tony

Take for instance the typical .45acp bullet at walmart is 230g. Does the heavier bullet mean less recoil (if I am asking that right?). I think I used Speer Gold with less grain for SD...

I guess I want to closely replicate/practice with the same grain as I would myself defense ammo with out paying the higher price/actually using SD ammo for practice.

For my .40cal range ammo I have 185grain. At what grain would make this round less snappy?

So sum up I need the grain best used in what you all use in SD grain ammo for my practice ammo in:

9mm=
    .40=
    .45=

Sorry if post is confusing...

2. Brucev

Brucev

If you want to find practice ammo that will replicate the characteristics of your SD ammo, you will need to select a load with the same weight bullet, etc. Very likely there will be no real difference in recoil. In 9mm I shoot whatever practice ammo is available at Wal-Mart... usually 115 or 124 gr. FMJ. For .40 S&W I use 165 or 180 gr. FMJ by Federal or Winchester with complete satisfaction. I prefer the 165 gr. load. However since I have about 1,000 rds. of the 180 gr. load on hand, I shoot the 180 gr. load. It has in every respect given me perfect results. In every way it replicates results using Rem. 180 gr. JHP ammo. In .45 ACP, I use Win. White Box 230 gr. JHP. The Winchester WB 230 gr. FMJ give exactly equivalent results. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

3. 82ndVet

82ndVet

I stay with the high end with any caliber (target & SD)...in my case, with the .45...230g always. I actually pay no attention to the others, but that's just me.

:wavey: