What good firearms related books to read??

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by RMTactical, Jul 25, 2006.

1. joereynaldo

joereynaldo

I dusted off my copy of this book on Cooper's experience with tanks in World War II after watching "Fury."

Seems like the spirit of the book made it to the screen.

2. Krumfola

Krumfola

I've read all of Peter Capstick's books on African hunting. He talks a fair amount about the tools of the trade for professional hunters and their clients.

akela likes this.

3. Earl B

Earl B

- Glock, The Rise of America's gun
    - The Gun (CJ Chivers, about AK47 history including development of Gatling Gun and Maxim Gun)
    - The Future of the Gun - Frank Miniter -just released
    - Emily Gets her Gun - Washington DC journalist describes process for getting handgun in DC
    - American Rife, A biography

4. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Can recommend some "old school" reading:

1) Several years back I purchased & devoured Julian Hatcher's "Hatcher's Notebook." Yeah, he's got a clunky, 1930s bureaucratic prose-style, but the interest quotient on the various subjects his Notebook covers is over the moon. A Must-Have for your Gun Library. I still re-read sections and find stuff I missed or had forgotten.

2) If you're an M1 Garand owner/fanatic/collector, then Hatcher's "Book of the Garand" is also a Must-Have, Must-Read. I finally picked up my hardback copy during the Nat'l Matches two years ago. Again, despite his clunky prose, Hatcher's well-documented tale of inventor John Garand and the pre-WW2 run-up to the adoption of our first semi-automatic battle rifle, including all the political machinations that threatened to derail it, is all the more fascinating because it's true.

3) Being something of a WW1 buff, I've read (and several times re-read parts of) "A Rifleman went to War." The author, Herbert McBride, was an American who wouldn't wait for the U.S. to enter WW1, and so joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1914. The book relates his first-person, eyewitness accounts of shooting, killing, sniping, marksmanship, trench warfare, and other "soldier stuff" told from a "bullets-whizzing-past-your-head" viewpoint.

Hemingway, I'm sure, would have enjoyed this book and some of his writing could have benefited from the more technical, "how-to" matters that McBride reveals.

More than once did Jeff Cooper reference McBride's book as "inspirational" to the later development of his views on marksmanship with pistol and rifle. Another Must-Read, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    akela likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Anything by Charles Askins, Jeff Cooper, or Elmer Keith.

I especially like Hell, I was There, by Elmer Keith.

6. .45MoonClip

.45MoonClip NRA Life Member

There are so many: Sixguns by Elmer Keith is a collection of his stories, both entertaining and informative. I read a biography of John Moses Browning. Good reading for the Browning enthusiast. I agree on Jeff Cooper and Charile Askins stuff, also.
    Don't forget the modern, rather prolific writers in the field. Mas Ayoob comes to mind. I don't know when he gets the time to do all of the writing he does, but he is among the best in the field. IMHO

7. railfancwb

railfancwb

Isn't there a third one in the series?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

3 in the trilogy, a 4th out as well, Castigo Cay

http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

I really enjoy his books. I wish Bracken was as prolific as say, WEB Griffin... :supergrin: (I bet he wishes he had Griffin's royalty checks as well... but maybe not)

Bernard Cornwell, Sharps Rifle series. A Library should have them... anything he writes is worth a read.

akela likes this.
  9. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

To echo other posters- I highly recommend "The Old Man and the Boy" by Ruark and "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. "A Rifleman Went to War" by HW McBride is also a classic.

akela likes this.
  10. ldb

ldb NRA Life Member

Have to add to this Walnut and Steel by Bill Ward.

11. Kampilan

Kampilan

Available on Amazon:

[​IMG]

12. zastava

zastava

13. The Old Bloke

The Old Bloke

I brought it years ago and it kept me company for years out bush
    I can also recommend Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by WDM Bell

akela likes this.
  14. bdcochran

bdcochran

Look up Alan Egusa who taught shooting and is a high level black belt in san soo. I studied under him. Learned to shoot accurately/reload pistol/rifle/870 pump shotgun while walking/running full out. With permission one time, I did the 100 yard static DCM stage while walking and did as well as the guys with the expensive, specific DCM jackets.

akela likes this.
  15. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

There are about a dozen books by Hunter covering three generations of Swaggers, they are all good. Hunter’s gun knowledge is excellent, unlike most authors.

akela likes this.
  16. Bradley T

Bradley T

Conner's "The Hunting Rifle." Bout any library has that one.

17. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

For something a little different, Blue Steel and Gunleather by John Bianchi (yes, THAT Bianchi). John Bianchi literally wrote the book on holsters and here it is. There are some fascinating insights only a holster maker would know about the history and design of leather holsters.

Baba Louie likes this.
  18. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Aha... see TylerDurdon's post #5 way back in 2006 or so.

I'll add again (don't know if Library would have these tho... not politically correct for the times) AK-47 The Grim Reaper by Frank Iannamico, GK Chivers', The Gun and Paul Barret's GLOCK:The Rise of America's Gun.

All good reads. Maybe Great Reads.

If you own any number of S&W wheelguns, Supica/Naha's Standard Catalog is a great reference.

Some old threads with worth have legs!