close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What good firearms related books to read??

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by RMTactical, Jul 25, 2006.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

...that would be possibly located at a library...

2. pellertpale

pellertpale ReMember

I picked up Gun Digest 2001 on the B&N discount rack for 20% of the cover price in 2002. There was EVERY gun manufactured in that year un the thing. not really a read, but a reference at a good price.

3. tnoisaw

tnoisaw

God, Guns & Rock and Roll by Ted Nugent

You may not find that at your local libray though. Good book though.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper.

If library don't have it, Amazon does for $18... it's well worth it.

5. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Oh, there are tons...

Look for the Cooper title MrMurphy mentioned, look for anything by Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Charles "Skeeter" Skelton. These guys are the fathers of gun writing. You might also like the Peter Capstick or John Taylor African hunting books.

The self defense and concealed carry books by Massad Ayoob or Chris Bird are pretty good but not classics like the works of the above authors. John Bianchi (of holster fame) wrote a pretty good book on holsters, concealment and fast draw called: Blue Steel & Gunleather. The Best Defense by Robert Waters is a collection of true stories of self defense with firearms, a very interesting read.

If you're interested in books about specific makes of firearms: Robert Ball and Colin Webster have written pretty good books about Mauser rifles. There are many good Colt and Browning histories. Ned Schwing has written about many Winchester models.

Oh... No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan is a good one too.

I buy books for a large independent bookstore, so I've accumulated a pretty good firearms library. If there's anything you're interested in reading let me know, I might have a copy, or I can get one for you. Good luck.

6. ZZR guy

ZZR guy

Guns, Crime, Freedom. by Wayne LaPierre

7. jacquejet

jacquejet

I just read Stephen Hunter's American Gunfight about the assassination attempt on Harry Truman. You might like that.

8. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

The Hunting Rifle by Jack O'Conner is quite good.

9. Donner

Donner

Though it's not a book about guns, One Ranger is a very good book and has lots of stuff that a gun person would find funny and intersting.

Edited to add: i found it at my local library, but i'm in texas and we like our Texas Rangers here, so your's might not have it...

10. Mix

Mix

11. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

"The bias against guns" by John Lott. Not as dry as "More Guns: Less Crime".

12. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

"Black Man With A Gun" by Ken Blanchard. I heard him speak several years ago. He's awesome. :thumbsup:

13. ldb

ldb NRA Life Member

Unintended Consequences by John Ross. Anything by Skeeter Skelton. John Lott's book.

eb07 likes this.
  14. Leonard

Leonard

"The old man and the boy " by Roark, also several true life big game hunts written by same author.Excellent reads all.

15. XMM

XMM Not a Daddy!

Do my eyes deceive me or has nobody mentioned Enemies, Foreign and Domestic yet? Or the sequel, Domestic Enemies.

Good fiction, fast reads.

16. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

Is the sequel out yet ?

17. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

I picked up three books at the library which I read in the evenings during my recent hunting trip. First, The hunters guide to Accurate Shooting, by Wayne van Zwoll, 2002. Well written and easy to read, it helped to remind me of techniques and focus my thoughts on making accurate and effective shots on deer and elk in field conditions. It also had some fascinating accounts of professional hunters. Anything by Wayne van Zwoll is worth a read.

Second, Mule Deer Strategies by Walt Prothero, 2000. Also well written by a biologist and teacher who has specialized in hunting trophy mule deer.

Last, Deer & Deer Hunting, 1993 Al Hofacker, Ed., a collection of articles from the magazine on whitetail hunting. Although I don't hunt white-tails it had many interesting articles of universal interest to hunters. I would recommend all of these books.

Hummer

18. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I just finished a great novel by Stephen Hunter called "Hot Springs". It is about a marine just awarded the Medal of Honor, trying to get over his battle fatigue in 1946 while working at a sawmill. He is approached by a new prosecuting attorney and retired 1930's FBI agent to head up and be the trainer of a raid team to try and shut down the wide-open gambling, prostitution and lawlessness in Hot Springs AR. They recruit about 10 young cops, train in secret at the Red River Arsenal with National Match 45's, Thompson Submachine guns and Browning BAR's. The gun fights are riveting and descriptions of guns and tactics are really well done in a fast paced adventure yarn. There is a long chapter about going up against the mob who has a Maxim 8mm machine gun upstairs in a whorehouse and hostages that'll curl your toes. The hero, the ex-marine named Earl Swagger, has the guts and savvy to use the BAR to clear rooms and make pulverized mush out of the wood and plaster with the automatic .30'06 BAR. I really enjoyed the book and recommend it. I have just ordered from Amazon.com the book the same author co-wrote about the attempted assassination of Harry Truman, I expect that to be a good one as well...

19. jarrettclark

jarrettclark

its already been said, but i'm saying it again UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES by John Ross.

20. ldb

ldb NRA Life Member

Because it is very important and bears repeating, Anything by Skeeter Skelton.

eb07 likes this.