Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say Glocks are ugly... The triggers are the worst compared to other striker fired pistols... That being said, I carry a G33 every day.

It alternates every other month with me between who gets more attention/money give to them: rifles or pistols.

I'm in my pistol phase and got a new HK USP 40 & Sig P229r.
With my 33 I have 4 barrels for it. (factory 357sig and 9, 357, 40 all threaded)
357 sig is my go to self defense round. & I wanted to take both the Sig and HK there. Upon reading other forums... A drop in barrel is not a reliable option for quick caliber conversion with those two, or even other like CZ or FN.

So the question is... What's the magic behind Glocks universal slide that can reliably fire 9, 357, & 40 with just a barrel swap?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I've had a bunch of Glocks over the years but lately the finish on them has been less than I'm willing to accept. The finish on my two G43's already have scratches and wear and one of them has never been holstered and came NIB with some scratches.

I have two others with BTF issues, one being a Vickers FDE G19. So I'd say they have managed to cut corners and save $ while sacrificing quality like many other companies have. I have two more Glocks on order then I'm done buying them for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have to say Glocks are ugly... The triggers are the worst compared to other striker fired pistols... That being said, I carry a G33 every day.

It alternates every other month with me between who gets more attention/money give to them: rifles or pistols.

I'm in my pistol phase and got a new HK USP 40 & Sig P229r.
With my 33 I have 4 barrels for it. (factory 357sig and 9, 357, 40 all threaded)
357 sig is my go to self defense round. & I wanted to take both the Sig and HK there. Upon reading other forums... A drop in barrel is not a reliable option for quick caliber conversion with those two, or even other like CZ or FN.

So the question is... What's the magic behind Glocks universal slide that can reliably fire 9, 357, & 40 with just a barrel swap?
standardization of parts.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Idk, I got started with them in the Tupperware days due to reliability, availability of parts, a strong finish that's held up. It seems these days the cuts made by glock to once quality is hurting the reliability of their products.
I'd take my early gen 3s over anything new.
When you talk about finish, IDK if it's Glock or Glocks way of dealing with enviromental rules imposed nowadays. It'snot the treatment but the waste generated by the treatment that's so regulated today as it is in Europe as I understand it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When you talk about finish, IDK if it's Glock or Glocks way of dealing with enviromental rules imposed nowadays. It'snot the treatment but the waste generated by the treatment that's so regulated today as it is in Europe as I understand it.
Understand, but I think we both can agree that the quality has surely fallen. They can find a way around it, I take it that its mainly a US manufacturing regulation. I read up on it years ago, but I can't remember.
Damn, I love that old frying pan.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
What's the magic behind Glocks universal slide that can reliably fire 9, 357, & 40 with just a barrel swap?
Welcome to Glock Talk.

There is certainly no such thing as a Glock slide that is anywhere near universal.

The only Glock pistols that really convert 100-percent properly from one caliber to another are .357SIG and .40SW models...between those two calibers only. That's possible because an OEM .357SIG Glock is identical in all particulars (one Gen4 exception below) with the OEM .40SW equivalent except for barrel, rear sights, and left-side slide markings.

Pre-Gen4:
G31 is identical to G22 except for barrel and rear sight elevation (G31=6.9mm, G22=6.5mm);
G32 is identical to G23 except for barrel and rear sight elevation (G32=6.9mm, G23=6.5mm);
G33 is identical to G27 except for barrel. (Rear sight elevation is 6.5mm on both.)

Gen4:
Same as above, plus Trigger Mechanism Housing/Ejector differs:
.357SIG uses TMH 30561 with Ejector 30499;
.40SW uses TMH 28927 with Ejector 28926.
(Up to 2012, both calibers used TMH 28927 with Ejector 28926.)

For all the other Glocks that may be configured for calibers other than what is stamped on the slide, that must always be done with aftermarket barrels. There are as a consequence compromises which make the use of the aftermarket caliber conversion questionable for serious use as a weapon. As a range toy, there is no serious problem, however.

For example, using your aftermarket barrel for 9x19mm in the G33 leaves many components in place that differ from those found on the G26, which is properly designed for 9x19mm. Just minor stuff...like:

Barrel (Your aftermarket barrel won't fit a G26.)
Slide (Breech face especially, for narrow 9x19mm case head)
Extractor (Not designed for narrow 9x19mm case head)
Spring-Loaded Bearing (Goes with specific extractor)
Trigger Mechanism Housing/Ejector (Not designed for narrow 9x19mm case head)
Firing Pin (Not designed for 9x19mm primer)
Magazine

Aftermarket barrels have design features that usually ameliorate some of the issues above, but the final configuration would still never be one acceptable in an OEM Glock pistol.

The G33 in .357SIG is arguably the best defense CCW weapon available anywhere. I converted my G27 to a G33 years ago (with OEM G33 barrel) and will never likely put the original .40SW barrel back in.

·
Registered
33,616 Posts
I've had a bunch of Glocks over the years but lately the finish on them has been less than I'm willing to accept. The finish on my two G43's already have scratches and wear and one of them has never been holstered and came NIB with some scratches.
Is it the matte gray finish? I have that on my G17 bought earlier this year. It scratches if a mild breeze blows dust across it. But it's also the grippiest of all the finishes. I can't imagine how bad it will look after years of carry. Maybe one of these decades Glock can figure their finishes out. Why don't they just look to what HK or Walther or S&W does? Their finishes are stable, durable, and grippy.

The best Glock finish, IMO, is the Silverstone. I have that on my G23. If I can find it on a 26 or 19 I will be buying it.

Glocks have the most inconsistent materials and workmanship of any firearm I've ever seen. Finish changes/quality, pig nose, variability in mag button release "feel". No other gun I've ever had has such variability.

Reactions: svtpwnz

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Is it the matte gray finish? I have that on my G17 bought earlier this year. It scratches if a mild breeze blows dust across it. But it's also the grippiest of all the finishes. I can't imagine how bad it will look after years of carry. Maybe one of these decades Glock can figure their finishes out. Why don't they just look to what HK or Walther or S&W does? Their finishes are stable, durable, and grippy.

The best Glock finish, IMO, is the Silverstone. I have that on my G23. If I can find it on a 26 or 19 I will be buying it.
It is, and it does have a good grip to it. Honestly, I like the frying pan finish a lot more.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The finish has nothing to do with environmental rules. The underlying metal treatment could be the US version of Tenifer metal treatment in the form of Melonite. I've got a LWD slide that is a rich black durable Melonite treatment that I had done through a local gunsmith. Cheaper than Cerakote. The automotive and heavy equipment industries, among others use Melonite every day. There is no EPA rule against using salt bath nitriding. Its a money thing.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
I like the frying pan finish but the wok finish is pretty good too as is the double boiler finish but it does seem to scratch a bit easier. I try to avoid the sauce pan finish.

Reactions: EvilWayz

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
What other handgun have you seen go over 500,000 rounds plus? Glocks are just hammers, but they run pretty much forever. The average shooter will never see 50,000 rounds in their lifetime, so the other guns never go to failure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Original poster:
"I have to say Glocks are ugly... The triggers are the worst compared to other striker fired pistols... That being said, I carry a G33 every day."

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find the simplicity in design of Glocks to be beautiful in it's own right.

and... Have you felt a stock M&P trigger? The M&P is perhaps the biggest seller behind Glock, and the out of the box trigger is horrible (feels like bending a cheap piece of plastic)! Not sure why you say the Glock trigger is "the worst compared to other striker fired pistols"? I have owned 5 Glocks over the years (currently have 4), and the only "bad" trigger of the bunch was the stock G43. I've polished it up like never before and it's now very acceptable. I figure I'll throw in the new connector (when it's available) that's being talked about and it'll end up being great (like others have posted). All said and done, the Glock trigger is pretty darn good compared to many other brands that I've PERSONALLY shot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have G17 /gen 2, G19/gen 4, G26/gen 3 and G43 and they all shoot well, are reliable, and have NEVER jammed.
I also like the glock triggers they all function the same (no real noticeable difference). I traded away my Kahr CW9 b/c didn't like the long trigger travel. I guess it's all individual preference .... love my glocks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.