Home > The Armory > Reloading > What gives?

What gives?

1. I've been reloading for at least 15 years and I've never had a problem with any reloads in any pistol except Glock. I've owned three Glocks and all have locked up tight on my reloads with a failure to go into battery. No other pistol brand has been a problem. So are Glock chambers tighter? I used to use a Lee FCD thinking it would help with this issue. But when I measured a reloaded case with and without the FCD there wasn't any size difference. So I quite using the FCD. But today my new Glock 19 locked on a round that wouldn't fully chamber. I think I'm done with Glocks unless someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

2. You're doing something wrong! Glock chambers are very forgiving.

3. It isn't the Glock that is your problem. While Glock 9mm chambers are not overly generous like their straight walled caliber cousins, they are not "tight".

One thing you can start doing to limit the frustration, is either get a case gauge and use it on your finished rounds, or just use the barrel out of the gun you plan to use your reloads in and perform a plunk test. That way, until you can figure out what the problem is, at least you won't have any chambering problems when you are trying to focus on shooting.

Have someone who knows more than you, inspect the rejects and help you identify your problem(s).

4. The solution to chambering problems is to determine the cause:

Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.

Remove and inspect the round:

1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long

2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp

3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case

4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit

5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

5. Thanks for the replies. Knowing that I had this problem before with Glocks, I have been dropping finished rounds into the chamber, but not every one. I've also been measuring dimensions more often. Still one got through and jammed in the chamber. The only thing I can figure is that I need to add more crimp. I guess I need to go back to using the FCD.

6. Brand of dies?
    Press set up correctly?
    Sizing die set up correctly?

7. best educated guess, it ain't the gun.

8. Not trying to jam you because the last thing you need when frustrated is someone jamming you, but your last conclusion that you need to go back to the FCD belies a fundamental misunderstanding of the round you are loading.

9mm is a tapered case. The FCD does have a "SAAMI maximum" sizing ring at its case mouth, but it isn't going to size your 9mm round up by the case mouth where you are likely having the problem (failure to go into battery).

noylj outlined a nice process you can try, to help identify your issue.

9. Get a case gauge. Run the sizing die down until you get different makes of cases that will pass the case gauge.Then seat your bullet then run the sizing die down until it will pass the case gauge. Then do 100rds of different makes of cases and make sure that they all pass the case gauge. If you have any that don’t run the crimp die down a tad more. Until everything case gauges.
    If you can’t get a round to chamber in a Glock you are definitely doing something wrong. Using a FCD is using a crutch to fix a problem.
    It would also help in knowing what press, dies, etc. that you are using.

10. It would also be useful to know the bullet type/diameter too.

Good advice given so far about not using the FCD to mask what is obviously something not dimensionally correct in the finished rounds. Noylj offered a sensible strategy for isolating the problem.

11. FCD for 10mm, 40 S&W is helpful, but i do not believe there is one for 9mm.
    WeeWilly is correct on this (and i have yet to see him wrong).
    straight walled brass only!

are the rounds in question lead? my lead requires a bit more crimp, but i sneak up on it, until i get the desired result.
    if your loading jacketed or plated, sneak up on that crimp as well. very slight adjustments until the round fits the gauge correctly.
    the next possibility i feel could be your sizing in general. be certain your brass is correctly sized.
    sometimes i need to stop and go back to the basics, and i have been a reloader for thirty years. this year alone, off season (during winter), i will have done over 10,000 rounds in various calibers. mostly 9mm and 10mm.
    i also load 380, 357, 38, 44 special and magnum, 40 S&W, and 45acp in pistol.
    next, 223. been prepping around 5000 cases for that undertaking, trimming in progress currently. will likely wait until next winter to get that going full tilt.
    caution, take NOTHING for granted. it is not like baking a cake!
    not chambering is the least of our concerns for plinker range ammo. perhaps the most forgiving of errors. remove the culprit and proceed. check at home later.
    an ER nurse (after an industrial accident 30 years ago) told me it's not the rookies that get hurt, generally. it is the old pros that get complacent. complacency is our #1 enemy. focus and attention to detail our friend.

12. The round that wouldn't chamber is your clue.

What does it measure? Will it go into a case gauge? Will it chamber after a pass through the Lee FCD (I suspect it will)?

The Lee FCD doesn't touch ALL your rounds, just the ones that are out of spec for one reason or another. Might be the brass is too thick, might be that the projectiles are too large. Neither of which are going to be solved by die adjustments. I loaded for 15 years (and Glocks) without a problem. Then I started having the problem you described. A Lee FCD solved the problem. I leave it in the die setup because most of the time it just crimps (I seat and crimp in two stations). The time I feel some drag, it's taking care of a round that's out of spec. The Lee FCD will size OVERSIZED boolits; so even Lee recommends against the FCD on oversized lean.

Are you using mixed headstamps? Some may be thicker than others.
    Are you using cast bullets? What are you sizing them to or are you using them as cast?

13. Sounds like your brass isn't getting completely resized.

14. I use a Lee U-die for 9mm. Have not had any problems running 9mm in any gun, yet...:supergrin:
    Max length I've loaded to is 1.16. Have not done a press-to-test on the full SAAMI spec of 1.169...

15. Check OAL. THe LCFD won't fix that neither will a case gage. If the bullet is hitting the rifling, it isn't going to chamber. OAL, always bullet & barrel specific, regardless of what the book tells you.

16. While I agree we always need to do this, I think pretty much anything that will fit in the magazine and feed will chamber in a Glock, as they have more free bore than any other handgun I ever shot. Not 100% certain though, just that I generally use my Glocks to shoot up ammo that won't chamber on other guns. :)

17. Generally true, but truncated cone bullets certainly mess with proper feeding in any bbl. I have made loads that won't chamber in my stock Glock bbls. I didn't see where the OP stated the load used. It is an easy thing to check.

18. If the loaded rounds fit the mag ok I'd say look at your resizing more then your crimping.

19. The lfcd fixes problems with your technique or die setup. Why i am not a fan. I've been reloading for decades now, 100s of 1000s of rounds in dozens of diff guns, never used a lfcd, never had ammo issues. Something else is wrong, either your bullet fit/oal or your sizing die is f-d. Too many of us have been relading too long to believe it is anything but your process, technique or gear. There are few options here. Glocks are so forgiving that ammo that wont chamber in my match grade 1911 goes into a box for my Glocks.
    How about some load data specifics?

20. I'm curious if you are shooting cast bullets. Because the 9 is a tapered case, I'm wondering if the bullet is a bit over sized not allowing the slide to go into battery. If not, my vote goes to over-crimping. Dies should be set so they do their work at the top of the press stroke. Lastly, be sure you are fully seating your primers.

21. Are you seating and crimping in the same step?