close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What gadgets do you take with you to hunt deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ClydeG19, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

This is quite a broad topic but I don't want to clog the board with dozens of newbie hunter questions.

Do you guys use stands or do you hunt from the ground off of a camp chair (or some other method)? Do you use scent blocking stuff or simply try to stay downwind? Do you scout a lot before the season and during the off season? Do you hunt on public land or private? Feel free to throw in whatever tidbits of knowledge you would like as well.

2. noway

noway

>hunt down wind on public hunting grounds, from the ground

>This is my first year hunting with scent blockers and masking, but even with all of the gizzmos , still try to stay downwind

>do as much scouting as I can, but after the season is starting the deer decide on what/where/when to be

I bring water, knife, rope, food, stool, and license and weapon ;f

3. knuckle dragger

knuckle dragger NSAWC

No gadgets..just the basics
    Fanny pack
    Flashlight
    Spare ammo
    Knife
    Rope
    couple of candy bars
    water..
    depending on the amount of beer drank the night before 1or 2 rolls of TP..

4. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Not deer, but elk. Similar enough so here goes.

Gadgets:
    binoculars - Pentax Pentax DCF-SP 10x43

scope - Leupold Vari X III

Laser rangefinder - Leica 1200

Spotting scope (not used as often) - Pentax PF-80ED-A

Garmin Rino 120 (new this year) allows two way communication, GPS functions and the ability to see on the GPS where the other members in your hunting group are.

Other than that I think my pack has pretty standard survival and sustenance items.

I don't use any scent blocker however I'm careful about the soap, hygiene products, laundry detergent. I hunt on the ground.

5. muddydog

muddydog

i have a daypack that i carry..

i use scent shield religously..and i wear clothing that will wick away any moisture.

i am serious thinking abou the new scentlock under garment stuff they have come out with.

i carry a set of rattling horns in the rut..

2 things i never travel without is a HS folding turkey hunters seat and a padded gun holder than straps to your leg..

this allows you to set at an angle very comfortably with the gun resting up on the knee. i bought a tree back pad this year that ought to finish the ensemble.

i kill alot of deer on the ground ( my favorite way) in deep timber. so i carry the gerber sliding tree handsaw and a pair of brush clippers.

i use RICKARDS BUCK LURE exclusively..as do everyone else in camp.
    i have seen deer make a beeling for it as well as predators (Bobcats and Coyotes).

i carry 2 flashlights, compass/GPS and good drag rope for small antlered deer and does and some glow tacks to mark any new place i need to get back too.

2 bottles of water and some snacks finish it out.

hunt face into the wind..

no sense in go to a place you'll blow into. look for areas of deer food and does..does will be near feeding areas, bucks will follow.

6. TexAg

TexAg

Hunt from the ground and a tripod.
    When on ground its either walking or sitting on a rock.
    Private lease.
    Wind in the face as much as possible.
    Do lots of scouting.
    Rifle (6mm), and sometimes a pistol (.45 Glock 36 or Ruger Vaquero .45LC)
    Ammo.
    Gutting knife and saw.
    Proper attire.
    Wallet with license and hunters ed. card.
    Small binoculars.
    Candy or snacks.
    Insulin and glucometer. (guess why)
    Flashlight in the AM, found the head lamp works best.
    Sometimes a grunt, or rattle call in the rut.
    Haven't done the scent blocking much, but may try some of the spray on stuff and/or new scent blocking clothes.
    May do more pistol hunting this year so will be carrying a new extending bipod I got for B-day.

Now I'm getting eager to go.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

Just this year I am going to try hunting from a tree stand, at least during archery season. It get's too cold to sit in a stand all day during rifle season. sometime a GPS, not always. Usually have a flashlight. Always have firestarter (match, magnesium block or steel wool.) I have spent too many nights in the woods to not carry firestarter.

I rely heavily on scents. Usually a cow urine scent(elk). This is not a get-out-of-jail-free-card but rather a second chance when, not if, the wind swirls on you. I always carry a spare release for my bow. That's about it. If the weather looks like it could turn ugly I carry a dry pair of socks and an extra shirt.