Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p in my 19/4. I'm hearing of Double Tap & Underwood. Are their other full loads and what are your experiences and opinions for 9 & 45 ACP?
Cheers!
G

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,958 Posts
I'd stay with the Gold Dot. For one thing, I see a lot of close-range shootings where distance is disputed, and distance determination from gunshot residue on the opponent's body or clothing will resolve the issue. However, when distance is disputed, the other side is entitled to exemplar testing with ammunition from an unbiased third party. With Federal, Hornady, Remington, Winchester and Speer, this just means a subpoena or court order to get ammo from the same lot from the manufacturer, which they generally keep on hand for this and for liability purposes. However, few of the small boutique manufacturers have the space to store samples of each lot. Moreover, few of those loads are involved in real world shootings to give us a data base on how they work in the field. From NYPD to Las Vegas Metro and elsewhere, the Gold Dot 124 grain +P 9mm has proven itself to be one of the best loads on the street.

Thus, if I were you, I'd stay with the Gold Dot.

best,
Mas

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd stay with the Gold Dot. For one thing, I see a lot of close-range shootings where distance is disputed, and distance determination from gunshot residue on the opponent's body or clothing will resolve the issue. However, when distance is disputed, the other side is entitled to exemplar testing with ammunition from an unbiased third party. With Federal, Hornady, Remington, Winchester and Speer, this just means a subpoena or court order to get ammo from the same lot from the manufacturer, which they generally keep on hand for this and for liability purposes. However, few of the small boutique manufacturers have the space to store samples of each lot. Moreover, few of those loads are involved in real world shootings to give us a data base on how they work in the field. From NYPD to Las Vegas Metro and elsewhere, the Gold Dot 124 grain +P 9mm has proven itself to be one of the best loads on the street.

Thus, if I were you, I'd stay with the Gold Dot.

best,
Mas
Thank you Mas! I understand part two but how does gunshot residue helping to determine distance relate to GD being a better edc round..?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.