Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
How'smydriving?
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand, the M1 Garand & M2 were a couple of the rifles they had.

I am trying to figure out exactly what the most common firearms they carried were as my Grandfather was in the Army and fought in the Korean War . He's no longer with us so I can't ask him. I want to honor him and pick up a rifle and/or sidearm that would have been used in that war. I'm not talking war used (Not opposed to that, but I imagine that would be $$$$$$$$).

I do know that he cleared fields for other troops. Anyone know what firearms he likely carried?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
M-3 grease gun.

·
Registered
13,780 Posts
I remember reading long ago that the Carbines were not every effective against the Chinese in their heavy winter coats.
It could have been a misunderstanding of what happened that brought about that belief.
They may have carried things in their pockets or wore a coat over their load bearing equipment. The bullet may have hit the equipment under the jacket .
There was a myth with an NYPD shooting where the perpetrator was wearing a carhartt jacket . People believed that th jacket stopped the 9mm rounds as if the jacket was bulletproof.

What the article gets wrong is —the bullets weren’t defective, not the jacket bulletproof. He was wearing a book bag with books across his midsection under the jacket. The thick books stopped the first rounds .
The same probably happened in Korea.

Either way, the Korean War vets had to deal with it.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I remember reading long ago that the Carbines were not every effective against the Chinese in their heavy winter coats.

Think skinny, half starved Chinese soldiers wearing overly large winter padded jackets.
A hit on the coat makes you think you hit the man.

There were no such issues en masse with M1 Carbines in WW2, and the US Marines used them (and M2s) very effectively in the street fighting of Seoul as well. The "issue" you're referring to involves winter and heavily padded Chinese at the Chosin Reservoir.

The 30 M1 Carbine load is approximately the same at 100 yards as the 357 Magnum is at the muzzle. While it's nowhere near the power of the 30-06 M2 ball of the Garand, it was never intended to be. It still was an effective weapon, especially inside 150 yards.

Plus they're cooler than penguin poop. 🐧

Wood Everyday carry Tool Hardwood Knife

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,121 Posts
I talked to one guy who's grandfather carried a TT-33 and PPS-43 until an American shot and captured him.
End of the war he didn't go back to the North. Wild story, not sure how much was true, but it was interesting.

My M1 Garand was manufactured Korean War time frame and I have a correct bayonet for it now. (I think). Not bad $$$, less than WWII guns.
My M1 was WWII made and referbed so technically it could have gone. Not bad $$$.
My Springfield 1903s... One may have been on the other side. The others...technical...
The correct 1911A1 will be expensive. You could look at a clone.
A Tommy gun clone to go with...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Think skinny, half starved Chinese soldiers wearing overly large winter padded jackets.
A hit on the coat makes you think you hit the man.

There were no such issues en masse with M1 Carbines in WW2, and the US Marines used them (and M2s) very effectively in the street fighting of Seoul as well. The "issue" you're referring to involves winter and heavily padded Chinese at the Chosin Reservoir.

The 30 M1 Carbine load is approximately the same at 100 yards as the 357 Magnum is at the muzzle. While it's nowhere near the power of the 30-06 M2 ball of the Garand, it was never intended to be. It still was an effective weapon, especially inside 150 yards.

Plus they're cooler than penguin poop. 🐧

View attachment 1114776
Yep. I bought 10 in the 80s. $150 each from Davidson's. I kept an IBM, gave my brother one, and my son one. I let friends have the rest at cost. Wishing I had kept a few more.

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Canadian….. UN Forces:
My FIL was a Scout Sniper ( a Sargent) in Korea. IIRC he told me he used a Lee Enfield no4 mk1 (T) with a scope. He also carried a 1911 with an inlayed Mother of Pearl grips that he picked up in Japan.
He was a bad ass.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,121 Posts
The .30 cal carbine is not a long range weapon it was developed as a substitute for sidearms for personnel who needed a easier to shoot personal protection weapon .
The M1 Carbine was a PDW before there was a concept of PDW.

I call BS on the Chinese soldiers in Korea. People have done tests and the tests say BS. The bullet goes in and the bullet goes out. But if you are told you will be shot if you surrender and it is so cold that you can not feel being shot... OR are on drugs ....

Seriously, a lot of people have died by being shot with 9mm... But in Somalia our guys were complaining that the 9mm and 5.56 didn't drop them. Could it be that they were high on drugs OR hits were not made...?

·
Registered
13,780 Posts
The M1 Carbine was a PDW before there was a concept of PDW.

I call BS on the Chinese soldiers in Korea. People have done tests and the tests say BS. The bullet goes in and the bullet goes out. But if you are told you will be shot if you surrender and it is so cold that you can not feel being shot... OR are on drugs ....

Seriously, a lot of people have died by being shot with 9mm... But in Somalia our guys were complaining that the 9mm and 5.56 didn't drop them. Could it be that they were high on drugs OR hits were not made...?
Yes, khat ( drug) use was rampant there. The pain of their injuries weren’t felt. Only blood pressure loss or a CNS hit would have a real effect . The same would happen with a 45 acp round.

·
NRA Life Member
73,562 Posts
As I understand, the M1 Garand & M2 were a couple of the rifles they had.

I am trying to figure out exactly what the most common firearms they carried were as my Grandfather was in the Army and fought in the Korean War . He's no longer with us so I can't ask him. I want to honor him and pick up a rifle and/or sidearm that would have been used in that war. I'm not talking war used (Not opposed to that, but I imagine that would be $$$$$$$$).

I do know that he cleared fields for other troops. Anyone know what firearms he likely carried?
M1 Garand and 1911 would be the most common rifle and handgun. There would also have been M3 grease guns, Thompson submachine guns, M1 and M2 Carbines and various revolvers and a few Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless pistols.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts