What firearm do you associate with those close to you?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by HauntedAlabama, Feb 11, 2010.

1. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I was talking to my dad the other day about my grandpa's firearms. When my grandpa passed a couple years back my aunt, uncles, and dad gave me all of his firearms to hold in my safe. They have yet to split them up, so I got them out the other day to do routine maintenence and that spurred our conversation. Grandpa did not spend lots of money on anything, he was very tight, but he had two nice Winchester Model 12 shotguns, one in 12 gauge and one in 16. When I think of my grandpa that Winchester 12 gauge is the gun I put with him. He took me hunting with that gun more than I can count, shot tons of skeet with it, etc. My dad's gun that I associate with him is a Model 66 Smith & Wesson. That was his carry gun for many many years, but it sits in his safe now. What guns do you associate with your family, friends?

2. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

my grandpa was the only other one in our family really into guns, and the one i associate with him is his ithaca 12 gauge. he gave it to me not too long ago.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Several people I know bring certain guns to mind. My dad is a sweet 16 Auto-5.

4. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

Oddly enough I associate my grandpa with a M2 carbine, he served in Korea as a tank driver (Sherman A4 variant) and has often told me of the little select fire .30 cals they kept "just in case". He really wasent a gun guy in his civilian life. Had a couple of S&W .38s and an old Springfield .410.

My dad is a bigger gun nut than I am so you could associate him with about anything. Probably an old Ithaca shotgun, that has accounted for a rapid decline in the squirrel population in this area! :D

My Uncle has got to be a Stevens/Savage 16 ga. SxS. He used it to blow several holes in the floor of his house when a blacksnake decided to come visit....

Then my best buddy, A Ruger M77mkII in 7mm Rem Mag, from 0-350 yards nothing is safe from him and that rifle.

5. silvercoupe

silvercoupe

mom is a S&W .38 Snub nose. gramps is a Ruger .357

6. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

dad=1973 Remington 870 wingmaster
    uncle= colt combat commander
    grandpa= little pocket 22lr semi-auto

7. pmj

pmj

Good thread. When my Dad passed away I got all of his guns together and went to my basement to clean them. Spent a lot of time remembering the good times we had together with each one as I cleaned it.

Anyway - his Browning "Sweet 16" (which is the shotgun I first learned to shoot skeet with) and his pre-64 Winchester model 70 in 30-06.

8. mixflip

mixflip

My dad has a Mossberg 500 that he has had since he came back from Vietnam (and to protect his new baby - Me). today that 500 has its internal interfacing metal parts so perfectly formed to each other that it is as silky smooth a $200 action job! If you close your eyes...you'd swear the action is custom Italian.

My dad introduced me to the power of a 12 gauge at an abandoned quarry in Ione California at the age of 8 and I will never forget it.

9. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

My Dad - Remington model of 1917 30-06 sporterized for deer hunting.

My Grandpa - his Winchester 12 ga.

Mom/Grandma - an OLD Remington pump .22

10. shays4me

shays4me gunaholic

My stepdad had the same gun, only it was a Remington 30S civilian version. It's the only rifle he hunted with for years and years and was his grandma's originally. A few years ago he received a new rifle as a gift, so his old one is now in my care. We never really had much of a relationship growing up, but he did raise me and that old Remington reminds me of some good hunts together.

11. eddief4

eddief4

My Grandpa i attribute a few of his guns, but the one that comes to mind is his S&W chief special. :patriot:

12. CajunBass

CajunBass

My grandfather and his A.H. Fox double 12, 30" Krupt steel barrels, full and full. When that gun cracked (and for some reason it cracked like a rifle) meat hit the ground.

My uncle..a 20 ga Parker. I don't recall any of the details about it, but it had rather short barrels for the day. Probably 26".

13. SoonerSoftail

SoonerSoftail Go Sooners!

Dad and his double barrel 12 guage. It was his dads before him. Someday it will be mine.

14. 1gewehr

1gewehr

My Grandfather was into Remingtons. He had a matched set of Model 11s in 12, 16, and 20ga. I learned to shoot on his M12 .22. And he had a matched pair of Colt 1911s. One was kept in pristine condition for parade use, and the other was his 'field gun'. I have all the Remingtons and the 'field' Colt.

My Dad has an M1 carbine he was given in the early '60's, as well as a Remington-Rand 1911A1.

An uncle has a pristine 8mm Nambu in the holster with original ammo in the mags. He got it right before the end of WWII when he landed his Patrol Bomber on a Japanese airfield by mistake. Apparently, the garrison had recently left as everything was in place and the Nambu was in the control shack sitting on a desk. There was no fuel for the aircraft, and very little ammo for the AA guns. After grabbing souvenirs, they got spooked and scrammed. At least that's the story he tells!

15. Toml

Toml

My mother has a Colt Woodsman that was a gift from my father. He told her he had to marry her to get his pistol back.

16. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
  17. perkins3120

perkins3120

when i think of my grandpa the one of his that comes to mind is an old colt 1911 man is it sweet my uncle though he had many guns and several come to mind the one that sticks is his hunting rifle a 7mm browning b.a.r. safari model my dad hmm that is a tough one the one that comes to mind for him is probably his 41 mag my other uncle is a gen 2 glock 21

18. teh raven

teh raven

my father is the only one in my family into guns and when i think of him i think of his Colt 1911 that he bought when he was in the military. he's owned several guns when he was younger, but that was the only gun he kept after all these years. still shoots it and loves it to this day.

19. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

For my dad, it's a Fox 16 gauge SxS.

For my mother, it's a wooden spoon.

20. GAFinch

GAFinch

Grandpa - pump action BB gun used to piss off squirrels.

That's all