Wrenches/BMWs
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides serial ports, usb and firewire?

I have one open slot, it's lonely!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use those slots for 64-bit frame grabbers for high speed, high resolution video cameras. Admittedly, your requirement for this capability may not be that high a priority.:)

Seriously, if you don't need high speed data capture, it's just a slot. Put anything in it. Do you have a gigabit ethernet port on your PC?

·
Wrenches/BMWs
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by mouser
I use those slots for 64-bit frame grabbers for high speed, high resolution video cameras. Admittedly, your requirement for this capability may not be that high a priority.:)

Seriously, if you don't need high speed data capture, it's just a slot. Put anything in it. Do you have a gigabit ethernet port on your PC?
A pair actually.

Damn waste of space on mobo.

·
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
2,046 Posts
can you SLI?

·
Wrenches/BMWs
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by David_G17
can you SLI?
What's that? I haven't done any research or reading up on current tech since I built my machine.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Tsk Tsk Tsk. SLI is where you can hook 2 sli compatable nvidia graphics cards together. IE 2x256 to give you aproximately 512(usually a little slower)

·
Wrenches/BMWs
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by m2hmghb
Tsk Tsk Tsk. SLI is where you can hook 2 sli compatable nvidia graphics cards together. IE 2x256 to give you aproximately 512(usually a little slower)
Oh in that case nope. I'm happy with my X550. I don't game though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Give it a year or two - video card manufacturers are going more and more towards this in lieu of AGP. PCI-E 16x has a bandwidth twice the speed of AGP 8x at 40GB/sec. Just wait until Hypertransport technology is adapted and the whole system goes towards a bus of 6.4 and 8.0GB/s! :cool:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
You can get good SATA-II raid cards and then buy nice, really fast SATA-II 300 hard drives in a nice raid-5 array. Mmmm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts