close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What else do I need for 30-06?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by hockeyrcks9901, Mar 16, 2010.

1. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

I currently have a LCT Press with all the necessary tools for reloading .40S&W so what else do I need for 30-06?

I measured all the brass I have and all of it is less than the maximum case length of 2.494". I know that running them through a sizing dies will stretch them a little more so I would check them all again after sizing.

I am leaning towards using the Lee Pacesetter Dies and the Lee Auto Disk Rifle Powder Charging Die so that I can set it up in my LCT and use the powder measure I already have.

Eventually I think I'll get some equipment to trim the cases but as long as I measure them all after sizing and they're less than 2.494", they should be good right?

One other question regarding military crimps. Is using a hand held primer pocket reamer the easiest/best way or should I go with a more expensive option?

Also, could someone post a picture comparing a crimped with non-crimped case? I haven't been able to see much of a difference in my cases but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Thank you guys!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Taroman

Taroman US Army Retired

I have tried about everything under the sun including the RCBS swage. All had various shortcomings.

Recently acquired a CH #419001 Primer Pocket Swager. Did 200 cases in 4 minutes. it comes direct from CH

Cost $21.17.

For trimming, I use the Lee tool

If you're going to be loading for a Garand, there are more considerations, of course.

3. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

It will be for a Garand but I understand the complications with that.

I'll be using IMR 4795(or whatever the number is, I don't have the info in front of me) with 150-168 gr bullets.

4. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

5. Run&Shoot

Run&Shoot

While I have the LCT press, my .30-06 dies are RCBS. I am sure the Lee dies are just as good but I don't have experience with them.

You are right that you can load this time without trimming but the next time or the next you will. Lots of trimmers out there. I like the Wilson trimmer.

The Pro Auto Disk measure is problematic with the larger rifle cases like .308 and .30-06. The PAD measure (with disk doubler) only has cavities that will measure about 25 grains of 4895. That works for the .223 but only a half load for the .30-06. So you would have to double throw each case. I worry that I would miss a double throw and get a squib load.

I tried the Perfect Powder measure but mine leaks powder. It measures the stick powders like 4895, Varget and even IMR4064 beautifully, but I get a lot of leakage. Some guys have no leakage. I really like the PAD measure for pistol rounds using just the one disk.

Since I load far fewer rifle cases I found it better for me to just pull the cases out of the press after resizing and priming, use my stand alone RCBS Uniflow measure, place back in the press and continue with seating and crimping.

You will need to remove the crimp if you have any military ammo (or some commercial ammo, usually foreign, may have crimps). I started with the Dillon Swage 600 and it is heavy duty and works well. But it is now up to about $100 so I would consider some of the press mounted tools. I had not heard of the Ch tool before that sounds like a great deal and comes with a recommendation. Be cautious of some of the cutting type tools (I have no idea what style the CH is) as you can cut too much pocket if you don;t have it adjusted just right. Usually you just need to remove a small amount of the crimp near the pocket mouth, not so much all the way down in the pocket (in my experience, YMMV).

I also like to use the RCBS X-die for the resizer die. You trim the brass once and then just run it through the X-die. A stop on the mandrel keeps the case from elongating and some extensive tests have shown you can get 15-20 reloads per case instead of 5-8. This is a bit of expense ($35) though since you still want to have the regular full length size die for first time cases. Otherwise you have to keep adjusting your X-die for untrimmed and trimmed cases. Certainly not necessary but I like the convenience and long case life.

For new cases (new or once fired) I resize in the regular FL die, trim as directed in X-die instructions, load cartridge, shoot, decap and clean cases, then go straight to resize/prime, charge, and seat/crimp. I have three dies in my .30-06 turret: RCBS FL die, RCBS X-Die, empty hole to remind me to remove case and charge, seat/crimp die.

An important thing about M1 reloading is to keep the velocity to about 2700 fps as that was the milspec. Keep bullet weights to 147-168 gr.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. dudel

dudel

+1 on the Wilson trimmer. Very nice piece of gear.

The trick with the PPM is to run a pound of powder through it. (IIRC, it's somewhere buried in the instructions.) I missed it the first time, but it seemed to run better after some use. I ended up with the Dillon measure which has worked out great.

7. Run&Shoot

Run&Shoot

Do you use the Dillon mounted on the die or press, or separately on its own stand? I know some brands don't do light charge weights well, does the Dillon handle 4 gr throws as well as up into the 50 gr range? Finally, what style adjustment does it have, micrometer or screw in stem (IOW, how easy is it to get back to a previous setting and how fine is the adjustment)?

8. Milltown

Milltown

While we are on topic of 30-06 anyone have a specific O.A.L they like to use for a 150 grain? Also what length do you like to trim your brass too?

Thanks